Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid change for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Fluid change for HPDE

I changed oil and brake fluid to run at Road Atlanta in mid March...only ran 4 session one day.....I really hate to dump 8 quarts of $17/qrt synthetic with only 4 20 minute sessions...I'll be running at VIR next weekend. ..thoughts?

I also run castrol RBF.....sooo it's about 8 weeks old too...thoughts

Thanks
Old 05-18-2014, 07:32 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I change after every event. brake fluid can go a bit longer especially if you aren't using slicks and hardcore brakes. but oil is cheap insurance. I would change it.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't need to change oil after one track day. Check level only. I change oil every 5 track days. I bleed brake fluid after 1 or 2 track days and change after 5 track days. Castrol SRF is good stuff. How hard are you running (what level group are you in)?
Old 05-18-2014, 09:43 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replies. It's dedicated track car with no street driving. I'm in group 2...but run and brake hard
Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's my recommendation:

- If you run hard with stock oil cooling (or none), and oil temps get above 270+, I'd say change it after every event.

- If you have a proper oil cooler and stay below 260 the entire day, every 2 track events.

Like stated above....cheap insurance for your motor. Yes, it's $100 in oil or whatever your car uses, but that's cheaper than a $3,000 rebuild.

It's not a cheap sport.....so don't be cheap with maintenance.

Be cheap by not spending thousands on horsepower upgrades and spend the money on safety, maintenance, and track time.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:30 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazyandbroke
I really hate to dump 8 quarts of $17/qrt synthetic with only 4 20 minute sessions...
It's just insane to spend that much money on oil.
You can buy a gallon of Full Synthetic Rotella T6 5W40 for $20 at Walmart and it will perform as well for track days. Many racers use it.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic "European Car Formula" works great in the C5's at least, $25 per 5 qt jug. Not sure if C6 uses the same oil.

Your SRF is almost definitely fine though, I wouldn't bother changing it. I'd just bleed it a little bit. SRF is expensive because it lasts longer than other brake fluids.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 AM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
Here's my recommendation:

- If you run hard with stock oil cooling (or none), and oil temps get above 270+, I'd say change it after every event.

- If you have a proper oil cooler and stay below 260 the entire day, every 2 track events.

Like stated above....cheap insurance for your motor. Yes, it's $100 in oil or whatever your car uses, but that's cheaper than a $3,000 rebuild.

It's not a cheap sport.....so don't be cheap with maintenance.

Be cheap by not spending thousands on horsepower upgrades and spend the money on safety, maintenance, and track time.

Best advice right here. We get this all the time at the shop. And I usually go with the same line, "would you rather spend $100 on an oil change or $3000+ on a new engine...", they always choose the oil change. And like said above this sport is not cheap. We bleed and flush the fluid as soon as it begins to change color from the clear/amber to dark black. Also bleed and flush the clutch fluid at the same time. We also use Torque 700 on all shop and customer cars for brake and clutch fluid.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It is a huge waste of money to change your oil after every event !! I ran three events 18-20 sessions - 30 minutes each between changes. This amounts to 500-600 track miles typically. I performed a Blackstone analysis every other change along with the addative TBN analysis. Oil was always in good shape and capable of going several more events. Ran Mobil 1 5/30 and had a DRM oil cooler setup so temps were always below 240/250 deg. Temperature is the killer, if you don't have a cooler, GET ONE.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:15 PM
von zoom
Instructor

I change oil and filter after three events, (2 day events) if I run hard. Oil level check frequently and added if needed. I run 11 qts 5/50 Mobil One. Transmission and diff changed with additive twice a season, brake fluid monitored and changed depending upon sessions run, and clutch fluid withdrawn at resevior with rubber thingie and refilled at oil change and/or brake fluid change.
vz

Last edited by von zoom; 05-20-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Thanks all for the advice. It's in line with Mobile 1 tech's advice. My car runs at 180 degf and the oil is clean. I would normally change it after 2 weekend track sessions, so I will change after VIR before I run another event.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:53 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

This must be a typo. You see 180F oil temps after running a hard HPDE session? Do you have an oil cooler? Even so, I'd expect you to see temps in the 250F range.

I regularly hit 290F in my 390whp C5Z when tracking hard and ambient temps are in the 75-80F range. I back off at that point and take a cool down lap. Plan to install an oil cooler eventually, to use track time more efficiently.

Usually change my oil after every event, using Walmart sourced Mobil 1 5W30. Blackstone analysis has shown the oil to be within acceptable range. Just bought European formula version of Mobil 1 and will try it out at Mid-Ohio this week and drain and send for analysis after I run one autox event on top on the track day.

Like others have said, fresh oil is cheap and easy to swap... engine rebuilds are not. If oil analysis shows the drained oil to be in good shape, I may do three events per fill.

I always siphon out and bleed old brake fluid after each event, as it is often cloudy. Use ATE DOT4 due to lower cost, but just swapped it out for Castrol SRF for the upcoming event later this week. Spongy and ineffective brakes at a track can kill you. Much more serious consequences than a blown motor, so worth extra attention, in my opinion.

Last edited by tytek; 05-25-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:04 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I change oil every other track day. 10/40. My normal temps are around 220 oil and 220 coolant. Brakes I check pads after every event. I change fluid every season. I have a oil,tranny and diff coolers.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:31 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
It is a huge waste of money to change your oil after every event !! I ran three events 18-20 sessions - 30 minutes each between changes. This amounts to 500-600 track miles typically. I performed a Blackstone analysis every other change along with the addative TBN analysis. Oil was always in good shape and capable of going several more events. Ran Mobil 1 5/30 and had a DRM oil cooler setup so temps were always below 240/250 deg. Temperature is the killer, if you don't have a cooler, GET ONE.
A good synthetic is tough and lasts a long time. I am more concerned with how many weeks it remains in the engine because of the breakdown from additives that prevent degradation of rust protection and such. My pure oil reusable oil filter is always clean of particles when changing. My recommendation is to get a good oil and run several events but change every three months or so. For sure don't let old oil sit in the crankcase during the winter.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:45 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic "European Car Formula" works great in the C5's at least, $25 per 5 qt jug. Not sure if C6 uses the same oil.

Your SRF is almost definitely fine though, I wouldn't bother changing it. I'd just bleed it a little bit. SRF is expensive because it lasts longer than other brake fluids.
This is the oil I use in my Z28 with a LS6, no oil cooler.

I run it for 2 events, 4 days and change.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Thanks all for the advice. It's in line with Mobile 1 tech's advice. My car runs at 180 degf and the oil is clean. I would normally change it after 2 weekend track sessions, so I will change after VIR before I run another event.

I think you agree, no matter what you do with fluids, if you miss a shift then I guess it matters less what temp, oil condition, new or old, the cars are simply not made for the driver error. Sorry for your trouble at VIR, and I hope that the fix will be easy.
vz
Old 05-27-2014, 07:29 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Hello vz,

It was nice meeting you. Yes, I can only blame myself, but I'm amazed at how easy it went into reverse. I also learned that the same had happened to two other people I talked to with the Ford Racing Mustangs.....

Oh well, live and learn. I'm glad no one was hurt.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:49 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Hello vz,

It was nice meeting you. Yes, I can only blame myself, but I'm amazed at how easy it went into reverse. I also learned that the same had happened to two other people I talked to with the Ford Racing Mustangs.....

Oh well, live and learn. I'm glad no one was hurt.
You said that right. I found it kind of amazing at all of the Vettes that were there. Even more so that most were instructors.
I did manage to give some point bys, come to think about it, a bunch.
vz

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid change for HPDE

Quick Reply: Fluid change for HPDE