Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM Motorsports Park update - 5.18.14

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:28 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default NCM Motorsports Park update - 5.18.14

Hey guys and gals -

We took some new aerials yesterday.

Rock being put down on track. These pics are the first ones that show a distinct track layout.

Guard rails being installed. Perimeter fence going up.

Track paving scheduled to begin on 5/28.

Enjoy!

Last edited by NVR2L8; 05-18-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its always great to have another course to get on, and anything is better than nothing but I cant help be pessimistic about the track. The big track looks overly simplistic and I can tell right now that chicane at the end of the straight away will always be part of the main course. How long is the main straight with and without the chicane? This course would be great for inexperienced drivers or autox like events but me paying $400 for a weekend there doesnt look worth it compared to road atl cmp or vir... unless that straight is a lot longer than I think it is....

Last edited by rithsleeper; 05-19-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:02 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
How long is the main straight with and without the chicane?
This layout has a main straight of 4000'.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Its always great to have another course to get on, and anything is better than nothing but I cant help be pessimistic about the track. The big track looks overly simplistic and I can tell right now that chicane at the end of the straight away will always be part of the main course. How long is the main straight with and without the chicane? This course would be great for inexperienced drivers or autox like events but me paying $400 for a weekend there doesnt look worth it compared to road atl cmp or vir... unless that straight is a lot longer than I think it is....
I think NCM will be great...plus you have the museum and the plant across the street.

FYI.....I went to Daytona in Dec 2013 and it's a very "easy" track to learn....but it was definitely different and fun in it's own way.

I look at road courses like roller coasters. Each has it's own unique experience and each person has their own preferences as to what they see as fun and exciting and challenging.

Here's my personal review of a few tracks (I only go once per year for fun to go fast and not get arrested, so I am not a track junkie):
High Plains Raceway, Colorado: Very very techincal, multiple blind corners, elevation changes, not very high speed overall, to me it's too complicated.

Pueblo Motorsports Park, Colorado: Fairly simple, with 2 technical turns, slight elevation changes, just enough to change thigs up from being totally flat, not very high speed, great track to just have some fun at.

Road Atlanta, Georgia: My favorite track so far. Very high speed, the esses are great, elevation changes are great, high speed back stretch over 145mph+, blind corner/downturn on turn 12 under a bridge....not too difficult to learn, but very hard to master. I actually went off the track at turn 5 and hit the tire wall with minimal damage, but I got excited and stayed on the gas until 110 at the end of the essess and didn't allow for a longer braking zone.

Daytona, Florida: What a compound! Great track, very easy to learn, and you can go as fast as you can handle. I only did 140mph due to my tire rubbing on the banked turns, so make sure you don't have your suspension set all the way down on stock bolts, or your tires will rub (depending on your width, I run 275 up front/305 rear on base C6). The guy next to me in the paddock was going 178mph on the front stretch!

NCM is my next track day in April 2015.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Mitch Wright
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The photo's don't really show the elevation changes, the S/F straight for the 3.125 track is 3000' to the chicane which will be fast. Having driven the track layout a number of times now I think it is really going to be fun.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The exit ramp off I-65 looks like a blast!

I can't wait to run this track next year.

Mitch, it was a blast last month at Sebring, you guys did at the NCM did a great job running the event
Old 05-19-2014, 11:44 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Patience grasshopper. There are many configurations of the two tracks, some very fast, and some not so fast.

I would encourage you to give it a try before you draw a conclusion. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I want to run this layout.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:23 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Oh yeah? Well, I want to run the longest straight and see if it is as fast as the back stretch of VIR.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:23 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
That tree you hit at bottom left is going to leave a mark, though.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:17 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That actually looks a lot better. Didnt see that one. I hope they make that happen.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

April 2015!

Feff
Old 05-20-2014, 02:44 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

There appears to be a housing development just to the other side of the paddock area. What are the noise abatement requirements going to be ?? I'm sure that this was given consideration in the permitting and design of the facility. Info anyone ??
Old 05-20-2014, 03:19 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

They probably all work at the Corvette plant. They better love that track.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
There appears to be a housing development just to the other side of the paddock area. What are the noise abatement requirements going to be ?? I'm sure that this was given consideration in the permitting and design of the facility. Info anyone ??
None was required. as the track noises seemed to be less than the interstate
Old 05-20-2014, 04:05 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
That tree you hit at bottom left is going to leave a mark, though.
Perhaps they are attempting to replicate Oak Tree at VIR
vz
Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
None was required. as the track noises seemed to be less than the interstate
Not exactly. While the planning commission did not set a specific decibel limit, all vehicles will be required to have mufflers, except for racing events and manufacturer's testing.

However, the MSP will conduct an additional acoustic study prior to opening, and constantly monitor sound levels. We want to be good neighbors, and we will be proactive.

In addition, the MSP will have a self-imposed decibel limit, to be determined by track management.

Get notified of new replies

To NCM Motorsports Park update - 5.18.14

Old 05-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

Is there only one entrance/exit to the facililty? That has been pretty frustrating for the larger Beech Bend events.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
Not exactly. While the planning commission did not set a specific decibel limit, all vehicles will be required to have mufflers, except for racing events and manufacturer's testing.

However, the MSP will conduct an additional acoustic study prior to opening, and constantly monitor sound levels. We want to be good neighbors, and we will be proactive.

In addition, the MSP will have a self-imposed decibel limit, to be determined by track management.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:33 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ol Blue
Is there only one entrance/exit to the facililty? That has been pretty frustrating for the larger Beech Bend events.
Yes, there is only one entrance/exit to the facility. We have performed a traffic study and added a turn lane into the MSP.

Also, as a primarily participant based facility, the number of vehicles entering and exiting will be far less than the large number of spectators at Beech Bend events.

We will also have staging areas for groups waiting to enter the MSP.

Quick Reply: NCM Motorsports Park update - 5.18.14