Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nelson Ledges Road Course?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Nelson Ledges Road Course?

On their web site, Nelson Ledges raceway in Ohio has cancelled all 2014 events. Anyone know what's going on?

Feff
Old 05-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Quick search returned:

http://www.mvrscca.org/Nelson%20Ledges.pdf
Old 05-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
Rob, thanks for the update. Here's hoping Nelson Ledges isn't finished.

Feff
Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 AM
LV2CRNR
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelsons

Originally Posted by Feffman
Rob, thanks for the update. Here's hoping Nelson Ledges isn't finished.

Feff
It would be a shame for this track to disappear, I've been going there for as long as I can remember and it is the fastest track in the country (by avg lap speeds). The track surface is too rough and the motorcycle groups pulled out and SCCA is cancelling events. The Legendary Marques event cancelled due to financing so the rumor mill I heard is that the track is for sale for $2million. Wonder what is going to happen to all those tires?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by LV2CRNR
It would be a shame for this track to disappear, I've been going there for as long as I can remember and it is the fastest track in the country (by avg lap speeds). The track surface is too rough and the motorcycle groups pulled out and SCCA is cancelling events. The Legendary Marques event cancelled due to financing so the rumor mill I heard is that the track is for sale for $2million. Wonder what is going to happen to all those tires?

It was the first road racing track I ever saw. I went there throughout the late '70s when I was in college. After that I joined the Navy and haven't been there in over 30 years, but I swore I'd come back and drive it some day. I was planning on attending a track day in June. Looks like I might not get to go.

I can't see it selling for $2 mil with all it needs done to it. I hope somebody sees the value in it and does what needs to be done.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

There is a website out there........... Save Nelson Ledges.......... Might want to visit that and sign a petition.

Two car, racing, tuners, enthuastics who own Smokies Dyno in Akron Ohio are pursuing the current owners to buy the track. They have pledged big dollars to revamp the track. Seems there is discussion but as I understand it the petition is a tool to rally support to keep it a track.

I have heard second hand that the track is in less then race condition. I last ran there probably 5 years ago and decided back then it was too far gone for me to be comfortable. Especially when Mid Ohio is the same distance from me.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:46 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Here's some news:

Nelson Ledges Currently Under Construction (May 30, 2014)

The track will be closed until June 6th while repairs to the track surface and premises are being completed. Regularly scheduled club/organization events will resume Saturday June 7th. Please check back to this website for more details as progress is being made and calendar updates released.

Automobile Track Days and Road Racing

June Events at Nelson Ledges Road Course

• June 20 Friday Track Day/Test and Tune
• June 21 Saturday Racing SCCA Finger Lakes
• June 22 Sunday Racing SCCA Finger Lakes

Fun Days are on temporary hold while improvements are being made. Please refer to this site for the most accurate notices and updates.
http://motoseries.com/old/

Anyone else heard anything else?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

As I understand it they are (or have) repaved portions of it for this race. It remains to be seen what those repaved sections are, but IMO the racing surface really needed to be redone from the exit of T1 through the carousel (T3) and from turn 5 (the end of the back straight) through T7.
Cire
Old 05-17-2017, 02:02 PM
jonpauls
Intermediate

Waking this thread back up from the dead.

Has anyone been to the course recently? I was warned to stay away in prior years but I've read they've done extensive repairs over the last season and am curious how the track surface is these days.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Well, I have raced there, but..........................not in this century
Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Well, I have raced there, but..........................not in this century
Raced there in 65, taught there in 2000 and I swear it was the exact same pavement both times! Haven't been back since and I'm fine with that. Have heard lots of rumors last few years; it's open, it's closed, it's all replaced, it's been patched. Only thing I'm sure of is that the bridge fell/taken down.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I am instructing there this summer. There is no racing, but several groups have rented time for track days. They did do some repair work (properly grinding out the sections and laying new asphalt) so the track is not that bad. Its still no Mid Ohio or Pitt Race, but at least the track is not coming up anymore, and some of the holes are smoothed out.

The bridge is still there, but the barn out front was taken down. The new owners are very diligently working to clean up the place. They have lots of paperwork going on in the background with the city, county, EPA, etc and once everything is lined up they will begin refurbishing the place. They are estimating even a full repave by the end of this year. Ganar Driving Experience and myself will be there June 3-4th for the next track day.

http://www.nelsonledges.com/event/ga...day-package-2/
Old 05-19-2017, 01:47 PM
jonpauls
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kubs
I am instructing there this summer. There is no racing, but several groups have rented time for track days. They did do some repair work (properly grinding out the sections and laying new asphalt) so the track is not that bad. Its still no Mid Ohio or Pitt Race, but at least the track is not coming up anymore, and some of the holes are smoothed out.

The bridge is still there, but the barn out front was taken down. The new owners are very diligently working to clean up the place. They have lots of paperwork going on in the background with the city, county, EPA, etc and once everything is lined up they will begin refurbishing the place. They are estimating even a full repave by the end of this year. Ganar Driving Experience and myself will be there June 3-4th for the next track day.

http://www.nelsonledges.com/event/ga...day-package-2/
Awesome glad to hear it. The June 3-4th event is specifically the reason I'm asking. As long as nothing changes my schedule too significantly I hope to see you out there in my Pewter C5!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by jonpauls
Awesome glad to hear it. The June 3-4th event is specifically the reason I'm asking. As long as nothing changes my schedule too significantly I hope to see you out there in my Pewter C5!
Awesome! My car is down at the moment, but Ill look for yours and make a point to come say hi!

Get notified of new replies

To Nelson Ledges Road Course?

Quick Reply: Nelson Ledges Road Course?