Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto blip install and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Got it, that's what I thought but I wanted to be sure.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
Coach,
you can set how short or long the blip lastsbased on how fast you shift
I don't think that is totally accurate. You can set a delay from when you push the clutch in to when the blip occurs in milliseconds. I don't believe you can set how long the blip lasts. Also you can set to what rpm the blip goes to. If you're on a slow type of track you can have it make a blip to 3,000 rpm's say.
Or, if you're on a fast track, you can have it blip to 4500 rpm's. These are done by trial and error, as the dials are not marked with rpm or delay #'s...
At least mine wasn't 2 years ago. I removed the seat to install as I could not squirm in under the dash properly. I layed under the dash upside down. The clutch wire tap was a real b*tch!! the others were not so bad once you do the first one.

Ron
Old 11-10-2014, 02:48 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
I don't think that is totally accurate. You can set a delay from when you push the clutch in to when the blip occurs in milliseconds. I don't believe you can set how long the blip lasts. Also you can set to what rpm the blip goes to. If you're on a slow type of track you can have it make a blip to 3,000 rpm's say.
Or, if you're on a fast track, you can have it blip to 4500 rpm's. These are done by trial and error, as the dials are not marked with rpm or delay #'s...
At least mine wasn't 2 years ago. I removed the seat to install as I could not squirm in under the dash properly. I layed under the dash upside down. The clutch wire tap was a real b*tch!! the others were not so bad once you do the first one.

Ron
Old 11-10-2014, 04:56 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

It has a delay and duration setting (the two rheostats), so what I mean is the duration can be longer or shorter based on how fast you shift. The device has no idea what "rpm" you are setting, it just blips some amount over your current rpm when activated when if I understand it right..

either way, I love mine, lol
Old 11-10-2014, 09:24 PM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems like a great idea for those that can't heel and toe....for whatever reason. But isn't the "static" blip setting a bit less than desirable for track use? Picturing driving on local tracks, some you go into a turn at a lower rpm....some higher. The car wants different things at different places on track....or better said, no track, trans, rear end, or rpm limit will require the same rpm to induce a smooth downshift going into every turn. With that in mind, do you, that have tried them, change your driving style so that the engine/tranny always wants that 3000 or 4500 rpm blip with every downshift? Do you have to play with the clutch release speed so that it matches? As an "aid", I can see it...as a performance improvement, I'm struggling. Struggling with an open mind however, so school me on this, please. I've seen conflicting posts, is it 3000 or, whatever you set it to, that it revs to or does it blip that much over the current rpm? Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

It blips over current rpm. And it only adds a coupe hundred rpm. So it's not unbalanced at all. Very very smooth actually
Old 11-11-2014, 07:53 AM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It blips over current rpm. And it only adds a coupe hundred rpm.
Makes much more sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:01 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

This is on my Xmas list. While I'm fairly decent at heel and toe, I have no problem leveraging technology to improve my track times. Since you have the option to run with or without the auto blip, seems to me to be the best of both worlds for not a whole lot of money. Looking forward to seeing how it works.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

The device has no idea what "rpm" you are setting, it just blips some amount over your current rpm when activated when if I understand it right..

either way, I love mine, lol
Correct, it blips some rpm over the current rpm...not to a specific rpm, but you can dial it in to a specific rpm that you want it to blip to by trial and error of turning the dial and observing on your tach where the rpm's of the blip go to.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Getting ready to finally install mine. Now I'm just thinking where the best place is to mount it. I was thinking of putting out of sight, perhaps glove box or center console. Thinking of the ash tray but then I would loose the cig lighter which I use for my charger.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:39 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Flying24
Getting ready to finally install mine. Now I'm just thinking where the best place is to mount it. I was thinking of putting out of sight, perhaps glove box or center console. Thinking of the ash tray but then I would loose the cig lighter which I use for my charger.
I initially tried installing in the ash tray with the intention of making it stealth with the cover closed. Used a dremel to carve the opening so the box would fit, but was unable to make it fit properly and still maintain the cover door functionality. You might have better luck, but I I think you'll need to do some pretty extensive fabricating if your desire is to maintain the ash tray cover. I ended up giving up on the ash tray and installed it in the console. Probably not the ideal location for accessing the adjustment *****, but presents a nice and clean install.

The unit works very well. Tweaked delay and duration adjustments to my driving style and downshifts are nice and smooth once you get the adjustments right. Have only been able to try it on the road, but will hopefully get a track day or two in this season to test it under more aggressive driving conditions. I found myself automatically defaulting to heel and toe on a few occasions (hard habit to break), which doesn't work too well when the system is doing its thing, so will have to train myself to let the unit do the work.

Overall an impressive little system.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:39 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Default autoblip

Ordered one
Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CrvtBB
I initially tried installing in the ash tray with the intention of making it stealth with the cover closed. Used a dremel to carve the opening so the box would fit, but was unable to make it fit properly and still maintain the cover door functionality. You might have better luck, but I I think you'll need to do some pretty extensive fabricating if your desire is to maintain the ash tray cover. I ended up giving up on the ash tray and installed it in the console. Probably not the ideal location for accessing the adjustment *****, but presents a nice and clean install.

The unit works very well. Tweaked delay and duration adjustments to my driving style and downshifts are nice and smooth once you get the adjustments right. Have only been able to try it on the road, but will hopefully get a track day or two in this season to test it under more aggressive driving conditions. I found myself automatically defaulting to heel and toe on a few occasions (hard habit to break), which doesn't work too well when the system is doing its thing, so will have to train myself to let the unit do the work.

Overall an impressive little system.
I appreciate your input, I was contemplating whether to put in the center console due to heat. On track day I've put my phone in there and it would shut off due to heat. But I did put one of those aftermarket heat shields in there and it seems to works. Looking forward to using this unit, I've driven a C7 on the track and if you can eliminate one thing and focus more on other things it does help. Toe heel works great in a straight line for me but with most track now days there's 20 plus turns and downshifting in a straight line is never guaranteed. I've even put in a 6 point harness hoping it help keep me more stable and it does. But your feet still keep moving around Hope to see you on the track
Old 02-28-2015, 08:16 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

I did the ash tray and retained the door for just that reason... There is a power plug in the center console that I use to power the hone and such...
Old 03-01-2015, 08:46 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

I did the ash tray and retained the door for just that reason... There is a power plug in the center console that I use to power the hone and such...
I didn't attempt to remove the lighter, but can see how you can make that work.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

I appreciate your input, I was contemplating whether to put in the center console due to heat. On track day I've put my phone in there and it would shut off due to heat. But I did put one of those aftermarket heat shields in there and it seems to works. Looking forward to using this unit, I've driven a C7 on the track and if you can eliminate one thing and focus more on other things it does help. Toe heel works great in a straight line for me but with most track now days there's 20 plus turns and downshifting in a straight line is never guaranteed. I've even put in a 6 point harness hoping it help keep me more stable and it does. But your feet still keep moving around Hope to see you on the track
I put heat shielding under the console and above the exhaust and the console doesn't get nearly as hot as it used to. Hopefully it will stay cool enough to not impact the unit.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:21 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

This question has not been asked yet, but I use my OBDII port for my data acquisition system (Racelogic), and earlier post said the auto-blip also had this connection.

Is this correct? Can the auto-blip still be installed?

Thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Auto blip install and thoughts

Old 03-02-2015, 06:58 AM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
This question has not been asked yet, but I use my OBDII port for my data acquisition system (Racelogic), and earlier post said the auto-blip also had this connection.

Is this correct? Can the auto-blip still be installed?

Thanks,
Auto-Blip just taps into a number of wires it doesn't plug into the OBDII.
If go to the Web site they have the instruction.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Auto-Blip just taps into a number of wires it doesn't plug into the OBDII.
If go to the Web site they have the instruction.
Yes, I saw the diagram. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

I remember back awhile ago someone had posted their install where it was mounted in the center console. I've done a number of searches and haven't been able to chase it down. Has anyone seen these and if so I would appreciate the link to them.

Quick Reply: Auto blip install and thoughts