Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much oil in Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default How much oil in Catch Can

I am doing some troubleshooting and have an oil catch can installed. Wanted to ask some of you that run catch cans in autox application; how much engine oil do you usually have when you empty your catch can after a couple of Autox events?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Searious
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to add some info about which engine you have and FI vs NA...I've just put one on a C7 and we will see what comes out after the 1st.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:44 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 2006 Base C6 with LS2. After my last HPDE event at Daytona in Dec 2013, and the last few months of driving occaisionally, i had somewhere between 1 to 2 oz of oil in my catch can.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

I tried a catch can on my combo and there was so very little oil in it I removed it. Just two breathers on mine now.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:03 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just emptied mine and had about 18oz in the catch can and probably another 4oz came out of the breather caps which I think I have remedied the cap issue.

I am running a 406 sbc na (High Volume Oil Pump), AFR Comp Port Heads, Cam, etc. Have a Canton RR 7qt pan. I just ordered a pan mount dipstick today to verify the oil level. Currently I am using a stock location dipstick.

I don't feel there is a cracked ring or anything since I had equal amounts of oil pushing out the left and right breathers.

This is driving me until I get it fixed
Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 AM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
I just emptied mine and had about 18oz in the catch can and probably another 4oz came out of the breather caps which I think I have remedied the cap issue.

I am running a 406 sbc na (High Volume Oil Pump), AFR Comp Port Heads, Cam, etc. Have a Canton RR 7qt pan. I just ordered a pan mount dipstick today to verify the oil level. Currently I am using a stock location dipstick.

I don't feel there is a cracked ring or anything since I had equal amounts of oil pushing out the left and right breathers.

This is driving me until I get it fixed
How long had it been before you emptied it last? We empty all of the catch cans at the end of every day at the track. Generally get anywhere from a couple drops to maybe an 1oz. If you do not occasionally empty them it can build up and eventually puke out through the filter/breather.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:49 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by MTI RACING
How long had it been before you emptied it last? We empty all of the catch cans at the end of every day at the track. Generally get anywhere from a couple drops to maybe an 1oz. If you do not occasionally empty them it can build up and eventually puke out through the filter/breather.
This was just after 2 events. I am going to check, but I think the dipstick is calibrated incorrect after the build and addition of Canton Pan and. I have added 1qrt too much oil. I spoke with Canton yesterday late and I think this may be the problem. Hopefully.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by l98tpi
This was just after 2 events. I am going to check, but I think the dipstick is calibrated incorrect after the build and addition of Canton Pan and. I have added 1qrt too much oil. I spoke with Canton yesterday late and I think this may be the problem. Hopefully.
How much oil are you adding? I filled my Canton 15-240T with water to test it before I installed it. To the top of the oil baffle is six quarts. Total fill for my combo with oil coolers/filter is eight quarts. I run a normal pressure/flow oil pump. I've actually been thinking of overfilling it, the pan isn't very good at oil control under braking.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:40 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
How much oil are you adding? I filled my Canton 15-240T with water to test it before I installed it. To the top of the oil baffle is six quarts. Total fill for my combo with oil coolers/filter is eight quarts. I run a normal pressure/flow oil pump. I've actually been thinking of overfilling it, the pan isn't very good at oil control under braking.
With talking to Canton they told me to use 6qrt in the pan and then calibrate the dipstick. They said the 7qrt pan was figuring a 6qrt capacity in the pan and qrt in the filter. But all depends on your filter and of course coolers if applicable.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:53 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Well, it seems that after installing the new dipstick and calibrating it in accordance with Canton's instruction, I was 1.25qrts over with my stock dipstick. Hopefully my oil issue is solved.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

What dipstick did you buy? When I got the pan I thought about getting a different one. I just added six quarts to the pan and used a file to mark the stock stick.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Back to the OP question, very little, you are talking about 3-4 one minute runs right? Maybe a few fun runs? I don't think you need a can for autox IMO.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:55 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
What dipstick did you buy? When I got the pan I thought about getting a different one. I just added six quarts to the pan and used a file to mark the stock stick.
Don't flog me, but I had the pan put on by the engine builder and just assumed the stock dipstick would be fine. I ordered the Canton dipstick, 20-850, after talking with them and they told me jsut as you mentioned to put 6qrt in the pan and calibrate the dipstick. With the new dipstick and 6qrts in the pan I am full at the A in add on the dipstick. I did keep the stock one too and full on it is just barley touching the tip of the dipstick.

Originally Posted by froggy47
Back to the OP question, very little, you are talking about 3-4 one minute runs right? Maybe a few fun runs? I don't think you need a can for autox IMO.
I probably had a total of 15 runs. And everything makes sense with the extra oil in the catch can. I just installed the catch can due to excess oil getting sucked through the PCV back into the intake and making freight train spoke and making the car sputter/miss. I assumed it was oil loading up in each head during long sweeping corners, which it was but due to too much oil in the system.

Is there a need for a catch can in autox app? Don't know for sure myself at this point. We will see what happens. I would figure the biggest benefit is that there would be constant crankcase gas evac and no oil going back through the intake to upset the fuel/air ratio.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

With my catch can enhancement mod's - couple of tea spoons every couple of months:

For me, that is couple of tea spoon won't be recycled back thru.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by victorf
With my catch can enhancement mod's - couple of tea spoons every couple of months:

nice quality looking catch can.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Update after track use

Well, we have success. After running on track this weekend, there wasn't oil consumption or oil pushing itself out the breathers. I am confident the engine oiling system was being over filled. Thanks for the input and thanks to the Canton Racing Products support team.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default sweet looking

This can certainly looks sweet inside your engine bay. Can you explain how it works?

Get notified of new replies

To How much oil in Catch Can

Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
This can certainly looks sweet inside your engine bay. Can you explain how it works?
I'll try!

First photo shown anti creep up grooves machined onto catch can wall. Thin wall extension machined then attached to existing filter housing to add distance/dwell time between inlet/outlet, as well as additional condensate surface area. Machined extension sits very close to bottom, drilled holes near ends of extension are there for incoming vapor to escape in the event, collected sludge filled up the bottom space.

Second photo shown machined fitting with cooing fins to act as passive heat radiator to pre-cool incoming crank case vapor.

Third photo shown machined G-10 micarta mount, positively isolates can from direct engine heat conduction. Removable fin on can external further enhance heat dissipation to enhance crankcase vapor to oil conversion process within.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Element?

I'll try!

First photo shown anti creep up grooves machined onto catch can wall. Thin wall extension machined then attached to existing filter housing to add distance/dwell time between inlet/outlet, as well as additional condensate surface area. Machined extension sits very close to bottom, drilled holes near ends of extension are there for incoming vapor to escape in the event, collected sludge filled up the bottom space.

Second photo shown machined fitting with cooing fins to act as passive heat radiator to pre-cool incoming crank case vapor.

Third photo shown machined G-10 micarta mount, positively isolates can from direct engine heat conduction. Removable fin on can external further enhance heat dissipation to enhance crankcase vapor to oil conversion process within.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I presume you are or spend time with engineers. Many of the features you describe are well thought out, however you may have forgotten to show and/or describe the filter element?

The oil catch cans that are used on track cars follow the basic design that are found in most if not all filters called “coalescing filters”. I can attest to this since I have sold coalescing filters for almost 25 yrs. These filters work best when the proper element is used. Many elements in various materials and shaped configuration are available. I chose to use a coalescing filter on my C6 that is designed and made by Elite Engineering. Theirs works very well. E. Eng’s stainless steel filter meshed catch can produces 4 to 5 TBS of oil per day in my car from the HPDE events I attend.

In case you are not using an element, you may want to consider adding one. You may find this to be a more efficient manner to collect unburned oil.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:42 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I presume you are or spend time with engineers. Many of the features you describe are well thought out, however you may have forgotten to show and/or describe the filter element?

The oil catch cans that are used on track cars follow the basic design that are found in most if not all filters called “coalescing filters”. I can attest to this since I have sold coalescing filters for almost 25 yrs. These filters work best when the proper element is used. Many elements in various materials and shaped configuration are available. I chose to use a coalescing filter on my C6 that is designed and made by Elite Engineering. Theirs works very well. E. Eng’s stainless steel filter meshed catch can produces 4 to 5 TBS of oil per day in my car from the HPDE events I attend.

In case you are not using an element, you may want to consider adding one. You may find this to be a more efficient manner to collect unburned oil.
Thanks!

There are other additional features on the catch can that I did not get in with the details other than the three photos.

I am indeed using stainless coalescing filter within the filter housing. As an precaution, additional fine cres wire mesh screen under the coalescing filter.

Quick Reply: How much oil in Catch Can