Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track / Street Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Track / Street Alignment

I just recently replaced my used up full set of Nitto 555R-II's with new Toyo R888's. In the process, the shop checked the alignment and then changed it. I will post the specs they used later, but the feel of the car has completely changed. It doesn't grab lanes any more and feels terrible in turns. So, I'm interested in doing a bit more aggressive alignment and handing them the specs I would like to do.

Some info on the car. This is a car I still run on the street, but I would like the alignment to lean much more toward track use. I am not overly concerned with inside tire wear as long as it isn't extremely aggressive. I want a sharper turn in, as it's utterly horrible right now. I have always wanted to use Pfadts alignment recommendations and want some opinions on those.

I was thinking of doing the Performance Street vanilla or with race tires.

What are your thoughts? Car has stock suspension.

Alignment Specs:
http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-21-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I use the "track use with street tires" settings. I actually run slicks but opted for a bit less camber. I do drive on the street. I do still get some "lane grab" occasionally but so far am quite happy.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
I use the "track use with street tires" settings. I actually run slicks but opted for a bit less camber. I do drive on the street. I do still get some "lane grab" occasionally but so far am quite happy.
What tires are you using and how are they wearing so far? How many miles driven on this alignment?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I found PFADT's street/track alignment a little too conservative on camber for my taste. I still wore too much on the outside of the tire from track. I would say try for -1.5 up front and see how you like it; I'm going to try and get more than that out of mine tomorrow when I take it in to get realigned. I was pretty happy with the rear setting around -.9, but I'll go for a hair more this next time as well.

Also I was not as happy with 0 toe up front I'll be adding some toe out for better turn in and hopefully help some of the wandering in lanes and clean up the straight line stability, probably 1/16" toe out. Rear toe I'll be going for 1/8" toe in.

I'm sure the alignment tech is going to love me standing by the machine tomorrow morning, haha.

Last edited by Bad Karma; 05-22-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:08 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Should be sitting in the car.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:27 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
What tires are you using and how are they wearing so far? How many miles driven on this alignment?
I run Michelin PS runflats on the street. Only a few thousand miles on them. They seem to be wearing pretty evenly (other than the one track day I put on them )
Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

I tried the "Track Use with Street Tires" alignment settings last year and still managed to wear the outside treads of the tires. I think I need a little more on the rears, from -0.9 to -1.1 may get the wear centered more on the tire and for the fronts, -1.3 to -1.4 may do it.
The alignment specs are only a starting point for YOU as you may drive your car easire or harder than I drive mine. It isn't YMMV, its YMWV (your mileage will vary). LOL
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

If you are running R888s on the track you will need a lot of negative camber. Toyo recommendation is -1 to -3 but I find I wear out the outside edges very quickly if the camber isn't at least -2.5. Not exactly a street setting. Of course you can run a more reasonable camber setting but then it might be advisable to flip the front tires on the rims after every other 2 day HPDE.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-05-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:54 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Keep in mind, the pfadt settings reflect - for toe in. If a tech reads the Pfadt sheet he will getit backwards because - means toe out in the alignment world.

I am running 8* camber and 1/8" toe in up front. The turn in is decent. I rode with a friend recently whose toe was "Out 1/8" and his turn in was fantastic. his rear was 3/16" toe in
Old 06-05-2014, 02:24 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd run something like:

Front -2 degrees camber, 1/16" toe OUT (negative toe)

Rear -1.5 degrees camber, 1/4" toe IN (positive toe)

That is basically what I'll be doing on my car for street+track, except I'll run a little less camber front and rear due to having all delrin bushings (less deflection under load than stock) and a little less rear toe to free up the rear end a bit to suit my driving style.

Get notified of new replies

To Track / Street Alignment

Quick Reply: Track / Street Alignment