Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with bump steer problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:11 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Please help with bump steer problem

Hey guys, first I've posted over in this section.

Here's what I have
84 vette
I had put coilovers on the front a year ago, due to unknown issue in rise in ride height in the front end. I was never able to figure out why this happen. So when I took the front spring out I thru a set of coilovers on it rather than fix the real problem. I was able to drop the front to over an inch. Ground to top of inner fender measures 26 in.

I still have the transverse spring in the rear. Back measures to 27 in

Since this mod I've had a bump steer problem.
I've purchased the bump steer kit thru EM.

I don't have any instructions with the kit but does look simple.

This car is only used on the street and after searching on what you guys gotta go thru to get it right I'm wondering if I really want to do this additional mod vs going back to the monospring.

This brings me to my question....
If I put this kit on with the tires on the ground and since I've had a recent alignment can I or will I be able to get the adjustment close enough to solve my problem?

My experience with knowing how to adjust camber, toe is very limited. I can get the parts on with no problem. Its the other I'm concerned about.
Any input would be greatly appreciated..
Old 05-24-2014, 10:02 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by qws
Hey guys, first I've posted over in this section.

Here's what I have
84 vette
I had put coilovers on the front a year ago, due to unknown issue in rise in ride height in the front end. I was never able to figure out why this happen. So when I took the front spring out I thru a set of coilovers on it rather than fix the real problem. I was able to drop the front to over an inch. Ground to top of inner fender measures 26 in.

I still have the transverse spring in the rear. Back measures to 27 in

Since this mod I've had a bump steer problem.
I've purchased the bump steer kit thru EM.

I don't have any instructions with the kit but does look simple.

This car is only used on the street and after searching on what you guys gotta go thru to get it right I'm wondering if I really want to do this additional mod vs going back to the monospring.

This brings me to my question....
If I put this kit on with the tires on the ground and since I've had a recent alignment can I or will I be able to get the adjustment close enough to solve my problem?

My experience with knowing how to adjust camber, toe is very limited. I can get the parts on with no problem. Its the other I'm concerned about.
Any input would be greatly appreciated..
Before installing the coil overs, did you measure to see how high the front end was to verify it really is too high?

The back end could have been too low. You could measure that now and see if it is to spec.

It is hard to know if that kit will solve your problem. Research what bump steer is, if your car has that and why, what comes with the kit and at that point if you will know if the kit will fix the issue.

Quick Reply: Please help with bump steer problem