Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak stopped - too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:57 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Oil leak stopped - too good to be true?

I'm the new owner of a 1993 C4 with stock LT-1. The car only has 41,000 miles on it, and seems to be in excellent condition. It has (had) a small oil leak somewhere on the back of the engine block, that appears as a drip from the oil pan. No noticeable loss of oil as measured on the dip stick, just a drop or two as a nuisance on the garage floor. This has been the condition for the last 2 or 3 weeks (the duration of my ownership to date).

Just took her to the Vettes for Vets charity run at Talladega (an absolute blast by the way!!). That was a 1300 mile road trip, plus about 75 miles of track time. Average track speed was somewhere around 90-100, with backstretch bursts to unpublished numbers that still leave a smile on my face 2 days later.

All the above is background info. So the oil leak is now gone. Is it possible that the heat of the sustained road trip and/or track time somehow sealed my leak? Or is that too good to be true? Any opinions or advice from experienced gear heads or track rats will be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:04 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Could be, I had a 96 LT4 that would drip if I let it sit too long (from the diff) but if I drove it every day or two no drip.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

The seals dry up if the car is not driven. Your car is 21 years old, with no mileage. The seals may have expanded with your usage.

I had an LT1, with oil blow by. The previous owner never used the car. Once I started tracking it, and revving to 5000 RPM's every shift, the rings finally seated properly, and stopped burning oil. The car ran better over all.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak stopped - too good to be true?

Quick Reply: Oil leak stopped - too good to be true?