Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Competitive Drive Mode question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:28 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Yet another Competitive Drive Mode question

I ran Daytona on Saturday on a modified Rolex 24 course (chicanes added via cones at the end of NASCAR turns 2 and 4).

I normally run in Competitive Mode -- hadn't gotten used to the idea of running "naked".

However, the Active Handling kept trying to "help" on the banks. At 150+, it was a bit unsettling. Not only on the 33* big banks, but also on the lower bank on the front straightaway.

In the end, i turned it all off, and ran naked, and really had a blast.

I'm just wondering why I felt it up there? Is the yaw sensor coming into play or something? Was the car confused because I was turning left with the wheel straight?

Any thoughts?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:54 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

My car did the exact same thing, and cracked 2 rotors while at it.

Came to the same conclusion you did. Turn it off for Daytona. Brakes ran a whole lot cooler.

Why ? is above my pay grade.

Lots of compression on the tires? Detected yaw? My inner ear freeks out the first few laps also?

Old 05-27-2014, 12:03 AM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I had the same issue last year when I ran Daytona. It seemed to "kick in" more frequently when my tires were colder, but that may be something completely different. No issues with the rotors though. It was a little unsettling the first couple of times it happened but it didn't create any really issues for me.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:12 AM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few HPDE's on my C5 now, and I must turn all the nannies off, as they fight me trying to rotate the car with trail braking and throttle steering, the last of which I was focusing on improving in my last event. My instructor who has loads of experience in corvettes was telling me that, even in competition mode, once you exceed the threshold yaw angle that the computer will fight to restore 0-deg yaw, not just keeping the car under the threshold yaw. If this is in fact true, the competition mode could prove very dangerous in certain situations.

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another Competitive Drive Mode question

Quick Reply: Yet another Competitive Drive Mode question