Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid?

Anyone use this and a heavy braking track?

I used it at Sebring and had brake failure due to boiling the fluid. To be fair, I really don't think it was the fluid, I just think my mechanic did a poor job of flushing my system. After just 2 runs my fluid was dark like weak ice tea.

The price is sure right, does anyone use this with success??
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used it at Pacific Raceways in my mustang and c5. Ran out of pad way before I had any fluid issues until I got up to hawk HP plus then just had heat related rotor cracks and pad wear.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:21 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Like it for the clutch as it is very clear.

Not so much for brakes at Sebring.

Probably not your mechanics fault. If the fluid was nasty before he flushed it, alot of the color will reappear very soon due to the new fluid leaching the lines and calipers clean even on the street. Takes several bleedings to get it very clean and to stay like that.

If you are decently hard on brakes at Sebring you will darken some fluid in your calipers just the nature of the beast, turn 7 is where I seem to kill mine. Normally flushed before a weekend and gave a quick caliper bleed after just to freshen.

When I went to slicks I boiled everything except SRF. On street tires I had good luck with Motul 600.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:23 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coach62
Anyone use this and a heavy braking track?

I used it at Sebring and had brake failure due to boiling the fluid. To be fair, I really don't think it was the fluid, I just think my mechanic did a poor job of flushing my system. After just 2 runs my fluid was dark like weak ice tea.

The price is sure right, does anyone use this with success??
Coach62 I have success with the Valvoline Synthetic 3/4 brake fluid.
I run a '07 C6 base coupe with street tires, HP+ Hawk pads and brake duct cooling and spindle ducts. Run VIR, NJMP-L and SPM. My rotor temps are 450+ after a session.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember the old saying " you get what you pay for".

Is saving a few dollars worth the risk of damaging your car and worse hurting yourself in a bad crash?

Many of you will agree/disagree with the advise I am going to give here, but being that I've been at this longer than 99% of you, I've got the experience to back up what I am going to say.

Use the best fluid you can buy! In my opinion, Castrol SRF is the best.
Good luck to all of you who decide to save a few dollars
Old 05-27-2014, 10:04 AM
ooldguy93
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running the Valvoline Syn brake fluid for the past 15+ years for hi-speed track events and NASA TT

I've run it in a Camaro, Mustang, a CobaltSS, an LT4, an '03 Z06 and, currently, 2 seasons in a Miata, with several track records, all with NO BRAKE ISSUE's.

I'll continue using it
Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I boiled Motul 600 and Amsoil in my C5 Z with AP T1 kit before switching to Castrol SRF at Sebring.

Now, I can go an entire weekend or two without having to flush my brakes. With Motul I was flushing daily, sometimes twice.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I would just go straight to SRF... Safety is not something to skimp on.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Nick_
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Like it for the clutch as it is very clear.

Not so much for brakes at Sebring.

Probably not your mechanics fault. If the fluid was nasty before he flushed it, alot of the color will reappear very soon due to the new fluid leaching the lines and calipers clean even on the street. Takes several bleedings to get it very clean and to stay like that.

If you are decently hard on brakes at Sebring you will darken some fluid in your calipers just the nature of the beast, turn 7 is where I seem to kill mine. Normally flushed before a weekend and gave a quick caliper bleed after just to freshen.

When I went to slicks I boiled everything except SRF. On street tires I had good luck with Motul 600.
I agree, I use it for the clutch as well...nothing but good things to say. Been using it for many years. I use ATE Superblue for brake fluid. Like others said, don't skimp.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

The Superblue is hard to find now. Apparently our Lord, God and Master the federal government decided brake fluid can only be clear or amber. It was determined that using colored brake fluid could cause confusion and someone could confuse the blue brake fluid with some other fluid - no lie that is their reasoning.

I think God every day that we have Obama appointees making critical life safety decisions like this for us. I wonder how many lives will be saved by making blue brake fluid illegal?

Now that blue brake fluid is outlawed, only outlaws will use blue brake fluid.

I wonder - will there be blue brake fluid check points set up - for our own safety of course? Maybe they'll just combine the brake fluid and seatbelt checkpoints.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Nick_
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Hahah, thats an excellent reply and I agree with you 100%. Luckily our company ordered quite a few cans from Tire Rack prior to them running out. I got my hands on a couple, the rest flew out the door.

God willing, there will be check points set up, I will be arrested, convicted and sentenced to death. Clearly, I am a vigilante needs to be off the mean streets.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach62
The Superblue is hard to find now. Apparently our Lord, God and Master the federal government decided brake fluid can only be clear or amber. It was determined that using colored brake fluid could cause confusion and someone could confuse the blue brake fluid with some other fluid - no lie that is their reasoning.

I think God every day that we have Obama appointees making critical life safety decisions like this for us. I wonder how many lives will be saved by making blue brake fluid illegal?

Now that blue brake fluid is outlawed, only outlaws will use blue brake fluid.

I wonder - will there be blue brake fluid check points set up - for our own safety of course? Maybe they'll just combine the brake fluid and seatbelt checkpoints.
ATE Type 200 is the exact same fluid as super blue except it is amber instead of blue, it is still readily available in this country.

FWIW I have used the Valvoline stuff since it exists on the shelf at the Advance that is half a mile from my house and it did hold up on a road course with street tires for a weekend in my 4100 lb Audi S4. I also use the Valvoline in all of my street cars. When I have adequate time to prepare for the track, though, I use the ATE Type 200.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

I know the amber is still available. A lot of people would switch between blue and amber each flush so you can make sure you flushed all the old fluid out without going overboard.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a good reference on brake fluid

Since all brake fluids absorb moisture, having fresh fluid is as critical as the type.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
I would just go straight to SRF... Safety is not something to skimp on.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Before SRF. Note Power bleeder and jackstand.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:26 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Before SRF. Note Power bleeder and jackstand.
Wow! That's some dark brake fluid !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have been using Wilwood 600+ for the last couple of seasons with no issues. Worked fine at Sebring and VIR.

Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by ooldguy93
I've been running the Valvoline Syn brake fluid for the past 15+ years for hi-speed track events and NASA TT

I've run it in a Camaro, Mustang, a CobaltSS, an LT4, an '03 Z06 and, currently, 2 seasons in a Miata, with several track records, all with NO BRAKE ISSUE's.

I'll continue using it
I am surprised, though, at the number of folks that seem to have had problems with it. I know when I first started track events I could boil the best out there before I learned to brake better and more effectively without killing my speed through a turn. Brake cooling with ducting helps tremendously, too.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Agreed. I know I need some brake ducting, I will work on that.

Also, I really don't think the brake fluid boiling was the fault of my mechanic, I think he tried, but just didn't get all the old fluid out. It was probably a combination of a pocket of crud and moisture that broke loose, with the ABS system not being bled out.

I appreciate the input everyone. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid?