Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Missed Shift and Fluid Change

Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default VIR Missed Shift and Fluid Change

I had a chance to meet a few of you this past weekend at VIR during the SVT Cobra fest. I track a Mustang, but also have a Z06. The Mustang uses the TR6060 like the Z06....

Now to my point, I missed a shift while going to 5th. The car went into reverse at approx 145 mph. It went in effortlessly, scared the $hit out of me. The reverse lock-out did not work and I did not jam it. I came into paddock and did not take the car back out until I repair the transmission.

One thing I've already discovered while starting my research, do not use synthetic fluid. I did have mobile one synthetic in from my last fluid change for a Road Atlanta event.

An expensive lesson, luckily no one was hurt and the damage was limited to the transmission.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazyandbroke
I had a chance to meet a few of you this past weekend at VIR during the SVT Cobra fest. I track a Mustang, but also have a Z06. The Mustang uses the TR6060 like the Z06....

Now to my point, I missed a shift while going to 5th. The car went into reverse at approx 145 mph. It went in effortlessly, scared the $hit out of me. The reverse lock-out did not work and I did not jam it. I came into paddock and did not take the car back out until I repair the transmission.

One thing I've already discovered while starting my research, do not use synthetic fluid. I did have mobile one synthetic in from my last fluid change for a Road Atlanta event.

An expensive lesson, luckily no one was hurt and the damage was limited to the transmission.
You did this in the Z06 or the Mustang?

I almost did that in my LS2 base coupe when the differential was going and the vehicle speed sensor became intermittent -- just as I was shifting into 5th the speedo drops out and the computer opens up the reverse lockout gate. I never completed the shift. Drained the tranny and saw nothing unusual.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:19 AM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This was in the Mustang, the point is the lockout device is not fool proof. Also tremec does not recommend synthetic transmission fluid. Hope this helps someone else avoid this mishap. .

Get notified of new replies

To VIR Missed Shift and Fluid Change

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIR Missed Shift and Fluid Change