Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat safety rules?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:35 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default seat safety rules?

I have been searching through the scca Rulebook and not positive on what keywords to search for.

I have a c5 coupe and want to get bucket seats. For doing autocross and soon hpde what are the guidelines? What would be ideal is buy a driver side bucket use the original seatbelt for an event or 2, then purchase a passenger bucket. And finally buy the harnesses and mounting bar at once.

Are there rules for seats matching? I like the pole position, and the gf prefers the recaro that can be reclined.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:05 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You mean race seats? I'm not familiar about SCCA rules for Solo 2, but it would make sense to get the same seat for driver and passenger. You can certainly use the OEM seat belts for autocross.

For track days where you might have an instructor, some organizations require that the instructor have the same seat and belt setup that the driver has. I think that PCA (Porsche Club of America) requires that.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:08 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Yes, racing bucket seats. One member as a OMP ARS seat for sale locally I would like to get.

If I could use the OEM seat belts for 2 months or so with racing seats, that would make buying harnesses not so hard!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

What rule book are you looking in?

The 2014 Time Trials rule book is 4 pages long and doesn't say jack about seats except that they must be bolted in securely .
Personally, I think these new rules are way too brief.

Also, you should check the SCCA region's (where you plan to run PDX) supplementary rules.

We generally want the same seats and harnesses for the driver and instructor but it could be argued that this is not a requirement with the new rules (and I'm not happy with it).

You should contact the tech people for the specific road course event that you plan to run. Comments here may not be correct for that SPECIFIC event.

On using the OEM belts with the race seats: May work, may not, it will depend on the height of the side bolsters and how the OEM belts go over them (since you can't use them with the pass thru in the seat). Might be unsafe.

If you're new to PDX (HPDE) , your stock seats will be fine for the first couple events.

Bill - SCCA Time Trials Chief of Tech

Last edited by Bill32; 05-28-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:05 PM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have sparco Evos in my C5 and they don't work with the stock belts. If you put race seats in, I would suggest a harness bar and harnesses, that will hold you properly in the seat.
Also be careful when choosing a mount and if you want a slider, that might affect seat height (and headroom is pretty tight in these cars!). Seats don't have to be exactly the same, but the same kind of restraint should be used.
Also some seats are really wide and won't fit in the C5, make sure it fits you and the car before buying!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:41 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, For SCCA autocross, race seats will bump you out of stock class.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:33 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by autoxer6
FYI, For SCCA autocross, race seats will bump you out of stock class.
I kind of shot myself I the foot with that, after I installed my LT headers and hotchkis bars. Lol
Old 05-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Most groups want matching seats and harnesses for driver and passenger. That doesn't mean you can't have different brand seats or different laybacks for each seat but it probably means you should have seats with equal amounts of support. You could combine Kirkey and Ultrashield seats but probably couldn't combine an Evo with an Ultrashield. That would be up to the tech people for each group and since it isn't well defined could cause a problem.

With aluminum race seats you can get a wider seat (seating area) in the car than with the fiberglass types like an Evo. I find it interesting the fiberglass type seats seem to be sized based on a person's waist size and the aluminum seats are sized based on the measurement across the buttocks when the person is seated.

In a C5 the largest aluminum seat you can install in the car is about 17 inches. In a C6 you might get by with an 18 inch seat. I had 17 inch Ultrashields in my C5Z and moved them to my C6Z where they aren't quite as tight.

Kirkey Big Boy drag seats would allow you to use stock belts if you use the stock seat tracks (notches for lap belts Vs lap belt pass throughs) however the seats may be too wide as they run 20 inches and more wide.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To seat safety rules?

Quick Reply: seat safety rules?