Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Surprise when I got home today, pics from my first event

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Cool Surprise when I got home today, pics from my first event

My brother in law picked up a couple of my pics from my first event from the photographer there (PDX at Summit Point). He txt'd me while I was on vacation and said he was sending me some inspiration for the PCA WGI event we're going to in 3 weeks.

I was surprised and think they are awesome!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Cool pictures, BUT be careful when you go to Watkins Glen, because the (blue) guardrail comes right to the edge of the track in places, so there may be no room for error.......
Old 05-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Cool pictures, BUT be careful when you go to Watkins Glen, because the (blue) guardrail comes right to the edge of the track in places, so there may be no room for error.......
The guardrail looks worse than it really is. It is further away than the concrete walls at tracks like Pocono. In most places their is at least a car's width distance from the edge of the pavement to the guardrail (or at least enough space for a Viper to run through when the pavement was suddenly blocked by a bone head move by a driver ahead of him). It is a little close in the esses and at the track out points going around the carousel and down into the chute and when exiting turn 9. However, in the critical areas there is plenty of run off room. Going into T1 there is a couple hundred ft deep and longer paved run off area, same goes for T10. T8 has a gravel trap that is fairly deep and T9 has a paved run off area that can be used if you have problems at the entry to the turn.

I ran VIR for the first time at the end of April and I can say that I definitely felt the so called run off areas weren't anywhere as good as the ones at the Glen. The problem isn't how close the guard rail is or isn't it is where your car is going to go when you have a problem and what is going to slow the car before you get to an obstacle. The Glen has a lot more of those potential areas covered with really good run off areas than VIR has done.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Cool Surprise when I got home today, pics from my first event

Quick Reply: Cool Surprise when I got home today, pics from my first event