Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA's fire extinguisher requirement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default PCA's fire extinguisher requirement

So PCA requires a fire extinguisher within reach of the driver for anyone other than green beginner group.

Who has run with them with a street car and where did you mount it?

I figure in front of the pass seat doesn't qualify.

Maybe front of driver's seat, problem is the extinguisher bracket I have from Vetteworks does not fit well with my Arizen seat sliders unless I push the seat back so much I can't reach the pedals.

So maybe mounted on my harness bar. I can reach it if I unbuckle my 6 pts, but not strapped down. Wondering if that suffices for them.

anyone?

"FIRE EXTINGUISHER: Must be securely mounted (metal to metal) within reach of driver. Must be BC or ABC rated, 2.5 lb minimum and must be fully charged. HALON/HALOTRON type is highly recommended. Required in White run group and above; highly recommended for all others."
Old 05-28-2014, 09:59 PM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
"FIRE EXTINGUISHER: Must be securely mounted (metal to metal) within reach of driver. Must be BC or ABC rated, 2.5 lb minimum and must be fully charged. HALON/HALOTRON type is highly recommended. Required in White run group and above; highly recommended for all others."
Some rules require that the metal bracket be attached with bolts and not hose clamps or zip ties so you would have to drill your harness bar.
If you are willing to give up the back piece of your console for the day (just 3 nuts to remove), you can reuse the bolts on top of the tunnel to secure your fire extinguisher bracket. Here is my setup (note that this is a 2.5lbs, it wouldn't work with a 5lbs):

In my C4, I had it bolted horizontally behind the 2 seats in the middle. Can't do that anymore with my rollcage bar in the way but that might still be an option for you.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 PM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I ran PCA FOR seven years. Mine was mounted just in front of my seat.
The rule doesn't really specify if you have to reach the bottle while buckled in so some took liberty with the location.
I'd try really hard to fab a bracket brace to get it as close as you can get it.
Otherwise it's kind of useless really.
Your PCA Chapter should have a tech Chair. He's the one you really should ask. He may not understand any limitations with Vettes.
The market for Pcar seats, brackets and fire bottles is better developed with easier options than I've found in this community.
Good luck.
I need a bottle in my C6Z too.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:23 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run with them quite a bit and I bought a Brey Krause mount and put it on the passenger side. Simple install and passes inspection.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:33 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

May want to extend bracket forward a bit.

Made this one & it works with my stock seat also.
Attached Images    

Last edited by blkbrd69; 05-29-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:06 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by skxf430
I run with them quite a bit and I bought a Brey Krause mount and put it on the passenger side. Simple install and passes inspection.
Really. Well that's the ticket. Maybe I will do that and be prepared to move it if asked. Thx.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:53 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I would strongly suggest you not put the extinguisher on the drivers side. If it ever came loose from the bracket- and I've seen it happen- you sure don't want that thing rolling around your feet and pedals. Same for the console mount,
Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 AM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by 3X2
I would strongly suggest you not put the extinguisher on the drivers side. If it ever came loose from the bracket- and I've seen it happen- you sure don't want that thing rolling around your feet and pedals. Same for the console mount,
Many clubs explicitly forbid any mounting on the driver seat, this is way too dangerous if it comes lose and blocks the pedals.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:16 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

This is what I use. I have mine mounted on my PFADT roll bar between the driver and passenger seat diagonal bar.

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/...G.aspx?wid=141
Old 05-29-2014, 10:03 AM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Good discussion guys. Great thread OP. "Within reach" isn't very explicit. I'd still call the club tech chair.

CVR Porsche Club in CT didn't seem to have an issue mounting on either seat.

CT BMW tech form says nothing about it. Their annual inspection form does however: Make sure the bottle mounting is secure with a metal bracket. The driver must be able to reach the extinguisher or the firing button or lever while seated and belted in.

SCDA and the NEQ Audi Club don't specify so you could run with either and do what works for you.

I couldn't even find a reference in the Solo SCCA rules. The Brey Krause website shows it mounted to the driver seat. How else could you really reach it in an accident?

I think the mount is more the issue, is it correctly mounted.
What clubs specifically don't allow driver seat mounting?

It is a great discussion either way. Can someone post a link to a club rules page that does not allow driver side fire bottles?

Last edited by 12zo; 05-29-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added BMW info
Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

For me on the scenarios I ran!!

From what I can tell many mounting locations in a Corvette end up being show pieces.

If something passes tech but cant be used in a fire is it anything else?

Besides the smartest move of clearing the car and letting someone well trained with a large extinguisher attack it. Many involve opening the hood on the way out of the car, or dealing with a passenger side door.

Have to think of the scenarios where you, or a brave corner worker may need access to it.

"For me" or a corner worker.

I tried and found I cant access it in any situation at all mounted to the harness bar with race seats installed. "But it does look nice!"

Tried to mount to the armrest area with no luck, flailing arms on metal edges are bad.

To access it from a secure bracket in front of the passenger seat I would have had to bail out of a burning car "that possibly didn't have battery power", run around get the passenger door open reach into a burning car to unlatch the door, ext ext.? And with the door closed there is almost no way for anyone to know its there or access it.

The Corvette fires I have seen are from the fuel line at manifold, oil from a departing connecting rods, trans fluid from cooler on header, engine oil from cooler, or electrical in nature. Think of the locations, electrical and fluid paths, egress, and attack options?

A secure mount with 3 locking options on bottle just made sense in "my" situation that I hopefully will never need.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 05-29-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 AM
lefrog
Racer

NEHA rules (http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/...s/14tech.pdf):
"All portable extinguisher brackets shall be securely mounted to vehicle. Portable extinguishers must not be mounted on the floor in the driver foot well if the car is equipped with suspended pedals. It should be mounted within reach of the driver. Additional extinguishers may be mounted beyond the driver’s immediate reach. No non-metal or elastic straps, latches, or brackets are permitted. Brackets for 2.5-lb net and
smaller extinguishers may use a single latching metal strap. Extinguishers over 2.5-lb net must have at least one additional metal restraining feature that secures the tank of the extinguisher to the bracket. The additional restraint(s) may consist of a second strap, a receiver on the bracket to secure the bottom of the tank, or a similar device and should still permit rapid removal of the extinguisher"
Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
To access it from a secure bracket in front of the passenger seat I would have had to bail out of a burning car "that possibly didn't have battery power", run around get the passenger door open reach into a burning car to unlatch the door, ext ext.? And with the door closed there is almost no way for anyone to know its there or access it.
Once you have removed your harness/belt, you can easily access the front of the passenger seat by reaching over the tunnel. No need to go out and around the car.
The best thing remains a real fire suppression system.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:08 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Tech chair confirmed that in front of pass seat is acceptable. I may mess with the center console idea by removing the rear piece but for this event will probably do the easy thing and mount in pass footwell. Thanks all.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
Me too,

Never had a problem with tech seeing my bottle on pass side in front of seat.

Within reach doesn't mean it has to be in your lap.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

When they state you have to be able to reach the bottle while belted in that limits your options considerably. Even the front of the driver seat isn't reachable when you are belted in. Mounting on a harness or roll bar behind the seats isn't reachable either.

Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 06:23 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Keep in mind that in an accident this thing can be a missile. I know of at least one fatality caused by the extinguisher coming loose. I really hate the cage mounts.

I think the whole rule is stupid. I'm running if my car catches fire. Most of the drivers at the track have never tried to put out a real fire. It's takes a little bit of skill. Skills that you have probably never practiced.

Here's an article I did last year on fire systems.

Richard Newton

Get notified of new replies

To PCA's fire extinguisher requirement

Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this being enforced in (at) all PCA HPDE events? First I have heard of it. I instruct at First Settlers and Zone 2 PCA. I have no such device in my Z06.
vz
Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

dont know. this is NNJ, north NJ
Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When they state you have to be able to reach the bottle while belted in that limits your options considerably. Even the front of the driver seat isn't reachable when you are belted in. Mounting on a harness or roll bar behind the seats isn't reachable either.

Bill
Ok, I'm willing to be educated, where do you mount yours?

Quick Reply: PCA's fire extinguisher requirement