Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and different question about tranny and ps coolers

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:31 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default New and different question about tranny and ps coolers

I've relocated my transmission / differential cooler to the rear of the car.

(for those who might be interested, here's the thread about that: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...mission+cooler )

Now I've got an unused transmission cooler in the radiator (a DeWitts), and I'm wondering if I can use that as a power steering cooler, and retire the factory air to fluid cooler.

Anybody ever done that? Comments?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:38 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I see no reason why it would not work. Should give you more volume and a better location for air flow than stock. Be sure to completely flush out radiator area to avoid cross contamination of fluid.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:37 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Not a bad idea, but have you had power steering temp problems? Mine seems to stay decent using Redline fluid using the ranger type method and the stock C6Z cooler. Seems to be the only adequate cooler in the car.

Great job on the trans. cooler, thinking of one with a fan in the rear quarter area.

My big question is what have you done to bring down oil temps, saw 280* last Sebring sessions with corresponding pressure drops.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...data-logs.html
Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 PM
parsonsj
Racer

No, no real issues with ps fluid temps; I'm just trying to reduce complexity by getting rid of the least effective cooler. Now that I know that my tranny cooler works, I'm itching to get that "skin remover" out of there.

I am now running the Aviaid supplemental scavenge kit (which adds a second pickup to the pan, and a 2nd scavenge pump on the passenger side head), is that my oil temps seem a bit lower. I still haven't run hard at Sebring for a full 30 minute session since adding it though. Last fall, I was still seeing 280-290.

Last edited by parsonsj; 06-04-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:03 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go flight, no problems at all. We have done it a lot in the past, with good results.

Randy
Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

So you aren't running an engine oil cooler? If not, why? I see temps in the 240-250*F range for 30-45 minute sprint races running 10/10ths with my engine oil cooler. Could you use the radiator trans cooler as your engine oil cooler?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:34 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
you aren't running an engine oil cooler? If not, why?
I'm running the factory engine oil cooler. My car is an 07 Z06 with the air to oil cooler. Is there a better cooler to use that might help reduce engine oil temps?
Originally Posted by Randy
Go flight, no problems at all.
Thanks Randy! It's now on my official list of mods. Now to call DeWitts to see if they have AN6 adapters for the cooler ports.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Could you use the radiator trans cooler as your engine oil cooler?
Different pressure-volume and etc would suggest this wouldn't be a good idea. But check with the cooler manufacturer. Just food for thought.

Randy
Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

What is considered the 'dangerous' or max threshold temperature for Tranny Fluid temp for the C6 Z06? I just want to be sure I keep an eye on it and know what number to be looking for.

@parsonsj - what were the tranny temps you were seeing before and after your mod?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by parsonsj
Now to call DeWitts to see if they have AN6 adapters for the cooler ports.
The transmission cooler port size is M18 x 1.5.

Here is one from Summit that will use a 3/8 hose line
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-frm18x6an
Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by parsonsj
I'm running the factory engine oil cooler. My car is an 07 Z06 with the air to oil cooler. Is there a better cooler to use that might help reduce engine oil temps?
I am not overly familiar with the dimensions and specs of the OEM oil cooler on a C6 Z06, but I would bet money that it is not large enough for advanced track use. Very few parts designed for street use are actually worth their weight in dedicated track use.

Get a dedicated stacked row oil cooler and plumb in front of the radiator. There are tons of us that use a setup like that with good results of punished race cars that see oil temps reduced to the 230-250 range.

Last edited by brkntrxn; 06-04-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:16 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Here is the kit I have on my car:

http://www.pcmofnc.com/index.php/per...oil-cooler-kit

-Kevin
Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by dapopa9
what were the tranny temps you were seeing before and after your mod?
I don't know the exact temp before, but the DIC would tell me the transmission was overheating, and to run the car at idle. It would happen halfway throughway my 3rd session of the day, like clockwork. 4th session, it would happen even sooner. I believe the trip temp is 279.

After the installation, and with a DashLogic, I could see temps get to 250-259. I never saw 260 again. And... after an off-track excursion at Daytona last week, it happened again. Being the bright fellow I am, I had a look at my under-car scoop and it was filled with dirt and grass. I cleaned it out, and no more issue.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:48 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom
The transmission cooler port size is M18 x 1.5.
Thanks Tom. I've got that fitting on its way.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:55 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
Get a dedicated stacked row oil cooler and plumb in front of the radiator. There are tons of us that use a setup like that with good results of punished race cars that see oil temps reduced to the 230-250 range.
Thanks, I'll check that out. My worry is pressure drop across the cooler, but I'll give the PCM dudes a call.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:53 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Some research has turned up the Canton oil thermostat (pn 22-480) as something suitable for track days with 600+ hp on tap. It has AN12 ports which can be downsized to 10AN for integration with the factory oil cooler lines, so it should have minimal pressure drop.

It works to maintain oil temps of 215* by metering oil through to a cooler rather than by opening the valve all the way open once desired temps have been reached.

Tying one to a massive 48 row 9-series Setrab oil cooler seems to be the best possible way of driving oil temps as low as possible, without introducing the problem of too-cool oil when driving on the street or in cooler climates. The downsides I can see would include additional weight, extra plumbing connections (and their risk of oil leaks) and pushing more oil heat into the radiator airstream.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...ER-THERMOSTAT/

Last edited by parsonsj; 06-07-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:40 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 130 Posts

This works for oil temp control:http://www.improvedracing.com/cooler...12f-p-435.html
Available in a 180 f or 212 f version. I use both thermostats depending on ambient temps. Easy to change thermostats on this unit.

Get notified of new replies

To New and different question about tranny and ps coolers

Quick Reply: New and different question about tranny and ps coolers