Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing winch in enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Installing winch in enclosed trailer

Just picked up a SuperWinch for loading my autocross car in my enclosed trailer. I'm looking for some ideas/suggestions for mounting it.

I currently have a wheeled tool chest centered at the front wall of the trailer that I really need to keep in that position as there is no space available along the side walls or the front corners. It sits above the part of the frame where a center rail for the tongue is welded to the frame crossmember (the trailer has an extended 5' tongue) so I can't attach the winch at that location.

The deck is 3/4" plywood so I was wondering if the winch can be installed on the deck using 2 pieces of steel plate (say 1/4" ??) that would sandwich the deck and use 4-6 bolts to secure everything. The bolts would be something like 1/2" diameter and SAE Grade 8. The mounting location would be off the trailer centerline by about 14-16" because of the tool chest. The battery box would be on the other side of the chest. I have a ******-block that can be used to reduce the pull load.

Ideas??
Old 06-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I purchased some steel angle from Home Depot and bolted it under the floor to one of the horizontal frames. I then thrubolted the winch to the angle
Old 06-07-2014, 10:04 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

I just did a google search
Old 06-07-2014, 10:45 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My winch is mounted at the front of the trailer off to one side. I just pull the car straight in. The angle is not much. Not a problem at all.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:41 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Do you guys drag cable at the back of the trailer? I did a 1/4" steel plate sandwich myself but have yet to buy a battery to power it. The stock clutch is pretty easy to deal with in my car.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

"Do you guys drag cable at the back of the trailer?"

No. Both of my race cars have tow hooks mounted high enough that does not happen. One tow hook is at leading edge of hood and the other sticks out the top of car and is welded to the roll cage. Both cars are C4.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:47 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by eogel
"Do you guys drag cable at the back of the trailer?"

No. Both of my race cars have tow hooks mounted high enough that does not happen. One tow hook is at leading edge of hood and the other sticks out the top of car and is welded to the roll cage. Both cars are C4.
I got to thinking about that too. My trailer has an inside beavertail so I would expect that the cable will drag on the deck at that change in floor angle. I'm thinking of using a V-strap that would attach at the front tie-down points and the connect to the winch cable. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy way of attaching a front tow eye or a tow strap to the front of the car. On the early C4's there are no real strong points behind the front facia, just the radiator core support.

I wonder if there would be a way to install some sort of roller that would let the cable run over it without the risk of damaging the cable? Maybe even something that could be removed so I don't trip over it when the trailer is empty?? I initially though about just bolting down a metal plate, but that would probably be worse for friction and wearing of the cable compared to the wood deck.

I figured I could drive my '87 up on the rear door to where the nose is high enough for the cable to clear the deck, set the parking brake, attach the cable and take up slack, then release the brake and pull it in.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

If you're pulling in a healthy car, you don't need that strong of a mounting point on the car itself. I wonder if bolting a plastic cutting board to the floor wouldn't be an easy consumable fix.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:23 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
If you're pulling in a healthy car, you don't need that strong of a mounting point on the car itself. I wonder if bolting a plastic cutting board to the floor wouldn't be an easy consumable fix.
Plastic sounds like a good solution especially that plastic cutting boards can withstand sharp knives. I wonder if you could use a heat gun to soften the plastic to bend it to conform to the deck?

Get notified of new replies

To Installing winch in enclosed trailer

Quick Reply: Installing winch in enclosed trailer