Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day Wheel Protection??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Track Day Wheel Protection??

I just got a set of pristine Z16 wheels and was wondering if there's anything I can put on them for brake dust protection during a track day?

These are much nicer than what I was looking for and would hate to ruin them. I run PFC01 pads on stock rotors and calipers (with some additional brake cooling).

Is it the dust or the temperature of the dust that causes the wheel damage?

Going with Nitto NT01 tires and only do a couple track days / year. Now I just need to find some early TPMS since these wheels will also be for the street.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:04 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would think that as long as you remove brake dust as soon as possible after a track day, there shouldn't be a problem. Some pads have material that will eat into a wheel if they are left for some time and especially if the dust gets wet and then dries out. I had read that Hawk HP+ pads will do this.

It might help if you clean them really well. Use something like Dawn dishwashing soap. After they dry, apply a few coats of a high-quality wax. Then wash the wheels as soon as you can after an event. I would remove them from the car to clean the inside of the wheel and then clean the calipers, rotors, suspension components and inside of the wheel well. It's extra work, but getting rid of as much brake dust as possible will help.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

agree with the idea of a few coats of wax. PFC01 dust is pretty nasty so I would wipe them down after each session if you really care about them. and you do not want them to get wet with the dust on them, get hot from the track and then dry and cool while dirty. you will never get it off. so beware if running in the rain.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Armor All makes a wheel protectant spray. It really works. The brake dust does NOT stick at all. Just clean the wheel, dry then spray on 2 coats, letting dry between.

Like putting Teflon on your wheels. I was really surprised.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Here it be....

Amazon.com: Armor All 78482 Wheel Protectant - 7 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Armor All 78482 Wheel Protectant - 7 oz.: Automotive
Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

You can also get the armor wheel protector at Walmart!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:37 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

A lot depends on how hard you brake. My rotors and pads run about 1100 degrees at Sebring. What happens is the metal in the pads actually melts into the aluminum wheel. It's not just dust. It's metal dust.

I couldn't figure out why my aluminum wheels were rusting. That shouldn't happen. Then when I looked closely I saw the problem.

Cleaning your wheels between sessions is the only way to keep this from happening. The stuff you buy at Wal Mart won't help. Once you get over 1,000 degrees there's not much you do. Ok, drive slower and you won't have these problems.

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images
Old 06-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

I drove home from the track in a light rain with my other rims and the dust on there for good. Guess I'll try the Armor All stuff and clean the wheels between sessions. If the problem is as Richard suggests, there's nothing I can do.

Oh well, I always thought of wheels and rotors as expendable, its just these rims are in such good condition. Maybe I should sell them and some that are already beat up.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 06-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

There are cleaners that will probably get it off, the protectant really does help keep them clean.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:51 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

THE wheel cleaner for trackday rides.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

It is PH balanced, eats metal out/off the wheels and paint.

The baddest stuff I have ever seen.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

The OP, ever thought about Plasti dip for protection?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:21 PM
WONIT84
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
I drove home from the track in a light rain with my other rims and the dust on there for good. Guess I'll try the Armor All stuff and clean the wheels between sessions. If the problem is as Richard suggests, there's nothing I can do.

Oh well, I always thought of wheels and rotors as expendable, its just these rims are in such good condition. Maybe I should sell them and some that are already beat up.

Thanks!

Rob
Rob,
I ran that combination Z16 and PFC01's and it is very dusty. As you found out when you add a little water the dust in on there for good. I ended up having my Z16's refinished. If you like you Z16's, get another set of stock wheels for your NT01's.

Tom
Old 06-10-2014, 12:36 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

OP get those 2nd set of wheels now

I didn't with a pristine set of oem magnesium wheels and track days put a hurtin on them....
Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

I was looking for a set of wider rims to use for track / street. I don't do many HPDE's but I also don't drive many road miles so a relative soft tire will work for me. I was keeping the original rims so that when the temperature drops I can keep the soft tires / rims in the house.

The only thing that screwed up that plan was that rims I found are in such good shape. I actually like the stock 5-spoke design better, but I wanted wider and didn't want heavier (and didn't want expensive).

Can plasti dip be removed without damaging the wheel finish (maybe wax the rim before installing it)? Do the wheels need to be re-balanced after painting it on (brush it on or thin and spray)?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM
SHOCheapRacing
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I have run my z16 rims with carboteh pads. Just gave the rims a good waxing before running (pulled the rims off the car) and made sure to clean them as soon as I could getting home. Usually within a day or 2. No issues so far.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
agree with the idea of a few coats of wax. PFC01 dust is pretty nasty so I would wipe them down after each session if you really care about them. and you do not want them to get wet with the dust on them, get hot from the track and then dry and cool while dirty. you will never get it off. so beware if running in the rain.

Same here. Before I got my track wheels, I tried a set of PFC01s and of course it rained for 1 session and that combo ruined my street wheels. In the process now of trying different sanding and painting combos to try to refurbish as wheels are kind of unique. Never had problem with Carbotechs and rain. Square setup with used Z06 dedicated track wheels is the way to go.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I just got a set of pristine Z16 wheels and was wondering if there's anything I can put on them for brake dust protection during a track day?

These are much nicer than what I was looking for and would hate to ruin them. I run PFC01 pads on stock rotors and calipers (with some additional brake cooling).

Is it the dust or the temperature of the dust that causes the wheel damage?

Going with Nitto NT01 tires and only do a couple track days / year. Now I just need to find some early TPMS since these wheels will also be for the street.

Thanks!
You can switch to Carbotech pads 100% non corrosive
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Get notified of new replies

To Track Day Wheel Protection??

Old 06-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

There are probably tons of threads on this, but .... is there a Carbotech equivalent to the PFC01?

How about hot metal coming off the rotors, or is that not an issue?

I love the PFC01's but they're the only race pad I've used.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Ferrodo DS1.1 and Carbotech XP12 are really good about cleaning up. Just hose off. Hawk DTC-70 is OK, but you really need to use a lot of soap and gently scrub as soon as you can. the worst ever are the old Hawk Blue when they are cold. It's all iron dust from the rotors that fuses into the paint when wet.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

There are probably tons of threads on this, but .... is there a Carbotech equivalent to the PFC01?

How about hot metal coming off the rotors, or is that not an issue?

I love the PFC01's but they're the only race pad I've used.
I have used the Carbotechs way more than the PFC01s, but for me, the XP10s were closer to the 01s in bite and longevity. Don't know how they are cost-wise, but braking wise, they seemed about the same.

Quick Reply: Track Day Wheel Protection??