Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glens help

Old 06-09-2014, 10:30 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Watkins Glens help

The wife and I would like to drive up from LI( 5 hours each way) for the United Sportscar 6 hour race at the end of June. We'll have to leave the day before and get a room for the night. We usually go the Lime Rock for ALMS but never been to the Glen. Looking for any helpful info from last minute lodging, to best seating areas at the track, eateries to any useful info you guys can offer. Thanks.

GO CORVETTE!!!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Here's a link to a similar post, from a few weeks ago.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...g-options.html

If you can't find something in Watkins Glen, you can also check around Horsehead, Elmira and Corning, as they are all within a half hour of the track, and offer an assortment of hotels and restaurants.

The Seneca Grandstand in Turn 1, offers a great view of the front straight (along with the pits and Start/Finish), Turn 1 and Turn 2. My favorite stand is the Argetsinger Grandstand, in Turn 2. From the Argetsinger stands, you can see the end of the main straight, pit out, Turn 1, Turn 2, and up through the Esses.

Though the stands in 1 and 2, are great places to watch the races from, the only real way to enjoy and experience The Glen, is to wander the whole track. There are many great spots to watch from, that offer different views of all of the action, and the Sahlens Six Hours gives you plenty of time to find them all.

In the infield, try inside Turn 1, the Inner Loop, the Jackie Stewart Grandstands in Turn 10, and Turn 9 where the cars re-enter the NASCAR course, from The Boot. From inside of The Boot, the hill overlooking Turn 6, offers great views of the downhill section of The Chute and Turn 6. You can enter The Boot through the pedestrian tunnel, that goes under the track between Turns 8 and 9. Also try outside of Turn 11, and the Riesbeck, Bodine and Frontstretch Grandstands alone the Start/Finish straight.

Make sure to visit the Garages and the Paddocks, for an up close look at the cars and race teams.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I like watching from Turn 10 for a race. You should be able to see them come out of 9, brake check for 10, and through 11 on to the front straight. Usually lots of action through 10 as it's a pretty fast sweeping corner with a short chute coming into it. Go over to the esses and watch some from there as well. Qualifying is always interesting from over there.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Great stuff guys, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Twiggs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are ambitious you could stay at in Geneva (the city at the north end of Seneca Lake) and stop at one or two wineries / distillery on the way. That's probably what I will be doing coming from Rochester!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:23 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Think we'll skip the wineries. We stock up enough vino out on the East End LI wineries.

I'll be calling for tix when I get home today. Guess we'll get the GA tickets. I know Lime Rock has free admission for Veterans and doing some preliminary searches it looks like on special dates WG does also. Seems they had it for the same 6hr race last year or the year before, does anyone know how it works up there for Vets?

Just answered myself. Its free for a Vet and a guest for that Sundays big race! Thank you WG!!!
http://www.militaryandveteransappreciation.com/

Last edited by NYC6; 06-10-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:15 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Be sure to wander the track...on the infield side, be sure to visit the exit of the bus stop near the flag station, awesome watching them shoot through.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:01 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Will do thanks.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:36 PM
RallyeChris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hit-up Nickel's Pit BBQ for dinner at least Friday or Saturday night if they are open. Call -ahead to see if they are. It's definitely the best place to eat in town. They also brew about 12 different beers there. Fantastic!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Here's a link to a similar post, from a few weeks ago.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...g-options.html

If you can't find something in Watkins Glen, you can also check around Horsehead, Elmira and Corning, as they are all within a half hour of the track, and offer an assortment of hotels and restaurants.

The Seneca Grandstand in Turn 1, offers a great view of the front straight (along with the pits and Start/Finish), Turn 1 and Turn 2. My favorite stand is the Argetsinger Grandstand, in Turn 2. From the Argetsinger stands, you can see the end of the main straight, pit out, Turn 1, Turn 2, and up through the Esses.

Though the stands in 1 and 2, are great places to watch the races from, the only real way to enjoy and experience The Glen, is to wander the whole track. There are many great spots to watch from, that offer different views of all of the action, and the Sahlens Six Hours gives you plenty of time to find them all.

In the infield, try inside Turn 1, the Inner Loop, the Jackie Stewart Grandstands in Turn 10, and Turn 9 where the cars re-enter the NASCAR course, from The Boot. From inside of The Boot, the hill overlooking Turn 6, offers great views of the downhill section of The Chute and Turn 6. You can enter The Boot through the pedestrian tunnel, that goes under the track between Turns 8 and 9. Also try outside of Turn 11, and the Riesbeck, Bodine and Frontstretch Grandstands alone the Start/Finish straight.

Make sure to visit the Garages and the Paddocks, for an up close look at the cars and race teams.
I couldn't have said it better. Take some walking shoes and walk the track. A lot of locals never buy anything but an infield ticket. There are always a lot of people in motor homes that park along the back straight and rope off areas around their campers and the fence. Don't be hesitant get in there and get to the fence. You may have to wait until somebody moves but once at the fence you are only a few feet away from cars going 150+ and you get to watch them coming and going so you can actually see them. Very interesting too watch the drivers approach the bus stop, see where they get off the throttle, hit the brake and turn the car in.

Bill
Old 06-10-2014, 09:38 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

More very worthwhile info, thanks again.
That's what we do at Lime Rock, get our beach chairs, cooler and set up right on the fence just yards from the action. Its the only way to see a race.

Last edited by NYC6; 06-10-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:50 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good info. 5.5hr trip for us. Corvette Corral!
Old 06-24-2014, 08:22 AM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a room in Manchester last night, 45 miles from track--used Booking.com and found rooms available along I90 at all price levels.

Get notified of new replies

To Watkins Glens help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Watkins Glens help