Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definition of autoX terms

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:24 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Definition of autoX terms

Please explain the terms 'non-sanctioned autoX' and 'low-speed autoX'. Came across these event descriptions on the western Ohio region of the NCCC forum and don't know what they mean. Presume the non-sanctioned event means NOT SCCA sponsored, which also means not SCCA-insured, but that's a guess.

http://www.westohiocorvettes.com

Thx--Bill
Old 06-11-2014, 04:15 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

In NCCC terms, a "low speed autocross" is an autocross at which any Group 1 cars do not exceed 80 mph.

A "non-sanctioned" autocross is one that is put on by an NCCC club but doesn't count for the NCCC points championship, but is covered by NCCC insurance. For example, the club I belong to hosts several sanctioned and non-sanctioned autocrosses throughout the year, and all are covered by NCCC insurance as we are an NCCC club.

It's completely independent of the SCCA.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:19 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I briefly looked at the link.

It appears they are primarily organized around NCCC sanctions and mix in a few non NCCC events. NCCC are points events as best I know.

Low speed means to me parking lot type events with speeds limited by course design not to exceed about 75 mph give/take.

Call them & ask for details.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:53 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

69autoXr and froggy: Thx for the info. Very helpful.

FYI. I would have guessed that typical parking lot courses were 2nd gear affairs. 80MPH seems iffy when there's light poles interspersed throughout the course.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
69autoXr and froggy: Thx for the info. Very helpful.

FYI. I would have guessed that typical parking lot courses were 2nd gear affairs. 80MPH seems iffy when there's light poles interspersed throughout the course.
The MPH figures are given as guidelines in terms of "not to exceed". That doesn't mean that the course has to reach those speeds. Oftentimes, autocross courses can be on airport aprons, race tracks, and other facilities with plenty of runoff space and none/few objects. Obviously, a small "postage stamp" lot would not allow speeds at the upper end of guidelines, but if I'm doing a course on a 600' x 800' airport pad (one place where I've laid out many courses), I can safely lay out an element that approaches those speeds.

A responsible club and responsible course designer (I believe that the majority of clubs and course designers are very responsible . . . you don't want incidents that drive insurance claims and participant dissatisfaction) would take into account the lot layout for safety, not only in terms of hitting things, but also for worker safety, and "competition fidelity" (i.e.: not too many cones, not too many DNFs, few if any re-runs because of course issues).

I've laid out SCCA (regional and divisional), NCCC, and FSAE national, and private/corporate ride and drive courses for many, many years. The speed factor is only one element in a safe and fun course design, but one that needs to be comprehended.

Last edited by acrace; 06-12-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Definition of autoX terms

Quick Reply: Definition of autoX terms