Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Veteran Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Ca2Tx
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Veteran Drivers

Hi,

I'm looking for the veteran track drivers that have been running the C6 for a few seasons.

I'm a driver that's been campaigning another marque for a few years, and am looking to get back into Corvettes for a track day car that's still (barely) streetable.

For now, horsepower is not a problem. Am looking for what works in the suspension department. I read that these cars also need additional cool air, not only to the engine, but to the transmission and wheels as well. Also, driver safety - belts, seat, etc. What are you guys running?

Can anyone that's experienced (> 10 events) share what's required to have a safe, reliable car for track days?

PS: I've read part of the epic threads about valve drops in some of these cars. Would like to not recreate them here.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

PM sent
Old 06-12-2014, 03:58 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

As with most things, it depends. In your case on how frequently you intend to track it and the tires you choose. There are likely a few other mods that others will chime in with but I will start with these:
Regardless of the tire choice, I am of the opinion the base or GS C6 needs the following to meet your criteria:
1. cooling for the front brakes - I used the Quantum kit with a heat shield for the ball joints/tie rods
2. a BBK for the front - others may feel it is unnecessary but after a few years of royal PITA pad changes, pads that are too thin and dust boot fires, I am a convert. AP Racing, StopTech, Wilwood are all good choices. Track pads go w/o saying
3. SS brake lines that will come with the BBK
4. bigger radiator - I like the Ron Davis
5. an engine oil cooler, stacked plate type - I use a Setrab
6. a trans cooler - as I run an auto, I have 2 Setrab units mounted in place of the fog lights
7. aero – I got the Katech aero package of splitter, side skirts and spoiler and the improvement was enormous improvement. It is not a must but nothing I added resulted in a greater reduction in lap times
8. upgrades fluids: oil, trans and brake
9. upgraded shocks and sways as a minimum - I went with the JOC package from Pfadt which is now out of business
10. a camber kit - alignment used to last 1 day @ Lime Rock, sometimes just a couple of sessions
11. a helmet, seat, harness, harness bar and HANS type device
If you add slicks, I think the car needs:
12. a dry sump - standard with the M6 Grand Sports and Z06s
13. SKF bearings and better studs
14. a bushing upgrade
15. 2nd set of wheels - I have CCWs and could not be more satisfied with their customer service and product

Best of luck.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Sway bars and shocks are, IMO, all you need to do for suspension. Laying the radiator forward, venting the hood and going with a Ron Davis or Dewitts not only drops water temps and oil temps but also improves aero by reducing the parachute effect on the underside of the hood.
I run the Wilwood SL6 front calipers with the 7420 style pad. It certainly makes life better and pays for itself fairly quickly in reduced pad costs/extended life. TCE has a great deal on a kit (here is a forum sponsor).
Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

And upgrade bushings and a cam lock kit. I have spherical A arm bushings and a pfadt cam lock kit.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Ca2Tx
Cruising

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

As the Z06 commands a $10k premium over the base C6, am thinking that those cars might make a better track car.

I'm fairly smooth, at least not spastic, and I work hard to get my corner exits right rather than use the motor to make up for a bad line. But sometimes you are forced off line or you just get a guy with a good line AND a big motor in front of you and then, well, all I can do is wait for traffic or a mistake to close the gap and get an opening.

So, base / CS or Z06, whaadah think?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ca2Tx
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

As the Z06 commands a $10k premium over the base C6, am thinking that those cars might make a better track car.

I'm fairly smooth, at least not spastic, and I work hard to get my corner exits right rather than use the motor to make up for a bad line. But sometimes you are forced off line or you just get a guy with a good line AND a big motor in front of you and then, well, all I can do is wait for traffic or a mistake to close the gap and get an opening.

So, base / CS or Z06, whaadah think?
You can have a lot fun with a base C6 - but a Z51 package will add improved suspension, taller gears in the trans, and secondary coolers. But for a track car the CS or Z06 is a better platform with its dry-sump, brakes & suspension. The GS's LS3 provides plenty of power and is a more reliable engine with its stronger block. However, the Z06 is the ultimate with more power & lighter weight. It comes down to which one is within your budget or you find the best deal - C6 Z's have come way down in price.

Last edited by Corvee; 06-13-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Ca2Tx
Cruising

Guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the great information, and insights.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:26 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

I'd go GS unless a unpassable deal comes up on a z06. A gs is plenty, plenty fast enough and if you want more in the future (and you should wait at least a year and NOT decide for more) put a cam in it.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:42 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Sometimes nothing beats a realtime conversation with an expert.

And when it comes to tracking C6s it's all but impossible to find better real world track expertise and a better guy than Joe Aquilante at Phoenix Performance. He'll certainly have the insights you're after and might even have a car for you. (610) 482-0141
Old 06-15-2014, 11:43 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
As with most things, it depends. In your case on how frequently you intend to track it and the tires you choose. There are likely a few other mods that others will chime in with but I will start with these:
Regardless of the tire choice, I am of the opinion the base or GS C6 needs the following to meet your criteria:
1. cooling for the front brakes - I used the Quantum kit with a heat shield for the ball joints/tie rods
2. a BBK for the front - others may feel it is unnecessary but after a few years of royal PITA pad changes, pads that are too thin and dust boot fires, I am a convert. AP Racing, StopTech, Wilwood are all good choices. Track pads go w/o saying
3. SS brake lines that will come with the BBK
4. bigger radiator - I like the Ron Davis
5. an engine oil cooler, stacked plate type - I use a Setrab
6. a trans cooler - as I run an auto, I have 2 Setrab units mounted in place of the fog lights
7. aero – I got the Katech aero package of splitter, side skirts and spoiler and the improvement was enormous improvement. It is not a must but nothing I added resulted in a greater reduction in lap times
8. upgrades fluids: oil, trans and brake
9. upgraded shocks and sways as a minimum - I went with the JOC package from Pfadt which is now out of business
10. a camber kit - alignment used to last 1 day @ Lime Rock, sometimes just a couple of sessions
11. a helmet, seat, harness, harness bar and HANS type device
If you add slicks, I think the car needs:
12. a dry sump - standard with the M6 Grand Sports and Z06s
13. SKF bearings and better studs
14. a bushing upgrade
15. 2nd set of wheels - I have CCWs and could not be more satisfied with their customer service and product

Best of luck.
Pretty spot on. In my opinion the only brakes (#3) you should consider are StopTech ST60 Trophy fronts or Brembo, or the brand new AP 6 piston non street based kit. Nothing else is enough for even a base C6 driven hard.

Aero: car needs it but driving without it certainly hones your skills.

LG Motorsports TPMS track box: Gotta have it. It pays for itself with just ONE incident (failure of a TPMS sensor interfering with a track day).

LG Motorsports Monoball suspension all around: simply awesome.

Z06: too much HP for most people, it will stunt your learning IMO. Unless you are well versed in chucking cars into turns at stupid high speeds already then starting with less power gets you there sooner.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:18 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I would actually recommend a different track for you. Considering that he "ideal" path is to buy last year's winning car......I would suggest that you look for and purchase a WELL SETUP RACE car from a big name racer, or at least a known builder like Phoenix Racing. These cars come up all the time here on the forum, and are much less expensive than buying and converting a street car. The other plus is that you (should) get a "set up book" with suspension, gearing, tire pressure and stuff for EACH track that the car has raced on. Best of luck
Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
PM sent
Follow this PM!

Jim
Old 06-17-2014, 02:16 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
Follow this PM!

Jim
Ok now I want to know what this PM says. Send it to me please, I'm feeling pretty left out right about now haha!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Ca2Tx
Cruising

Originally Posted by phipp85
Ok now I want to know what this PM says. Send it to me please, I'm feeling pretty left out right about now haha!
A board member generously send personal contact info so we could discuss offline.

Short, will be in touch once I get a few more ducks in a row.

Get notified of new replies

To Veteran Drivers

Quick Reply: Veteran Drivers