Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy duty sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heavy duty sway bars

Anyone now manufacture heavy duty sway bars for C5 similar stiffness to Pfadt Heavy duty bars that are no longer available?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think GM T1 or LG Motorsports G1 bars are about as close as you are going to get.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Does anyone know of a source for the replacement Pfadt anodized aluminum arms that bolt onto the heavy rate sway bar.

I want to buy a couple of spares. I don't need them at this time, but if one breaks while our racing I want to be able to fix it.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
I think GM T1 or LG Motorsports G1 bars are about as close as you are going to get.
Both good choices T1 is the standard and LG are monsters but may want to look at Vansteel which seem to be the same as T1 just black.
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...oups&navid=126
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Does anyone know of a source for the replacement Pfadt anodized aluminum arms that bolt onto the heavy rate sway bar.

I want to buy a couple of spares. I don't need them at this time, but if one breaks while our racing I want to be able to fix it.
That's the reason that I ditched my HR Pfadt bars. The arm came off on me twice while on track. Switched to LG bars and have had zero issues!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Werks
That's the reason that I ditched my HR Pfadt bars. The arm came off on me twice while on track. Switched to LG bars and have had zero issues!

Mine have never come off nor loose, but I want to be prepared.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Same here. Switched to T1s. Plus, I don't think you can use the DRM cooling ducts to the brakes if you are using the Pfadts.

If you do a search you will find a thread with some tips on how to make the Pfadt bars stay attached better.

Here is a chart done by Pfadt with relative stiffness of selective bars:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by waddisme
Same here. Switched to T1s. Plus, I don't think you can use the DRM cooling ducts to the brakes if you are using the Pfadts.

If you do a search you will find a thread with some tips on how to make the Pfadt bars stay attached better.

Here is a chart done by Pfadt with relative stiffness of selective bars:

[IMG][/IMG]
THanks ! Appreciated !
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Both good choices T1 is the standard and LG are monsters but may want to look at Vansteel which seem to be the same as T1 just black.
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...oups&navid=126
THanks !
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
Thanks !
Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I'd love to know where the Hotchkis and Strano bars sit on that chart.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:28 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you know if the splined ends are the same size as the regular not heavy bars? If the ends are the same I can hook you up with all my old Pfadt bars and arms.

I have T1 bars now so I don't need these. I have several spares since another forum member gave me his spares when he changed brands.

Shoot me an email and I can measure mine to compare to yours if no one knows the sizes of the splines.

Dog
Old 06-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by meldog21
Do you know if the splined ends are the same size as the regular not heavy bars? If the ends are the same I can hook you up with all my old Pfadt bars and arms.

I have T1 bars now so I don't need these. I have several spares since another forum member gave me his spares when he changed brands.

Shoot me an email and I can measure mine to compare to yours if no one knows the sizes of the splines.

Dog
Hey Meldog you are the best. I will measure my bar ends, count the splines and send you the specs. That should answer the question I think.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oli,

Give me a call re: arms.

J.R.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the Pfadt sway bars on my car.

While I've not experienced the arms coming off it's only because I noticed them moving outboard out of the detent in the splined area. Have had to reposition them twice.

Am going to VIR end of this month and if I experience the bars again moving outboard off the bar, which I'm sure I will, am going to follow Werks lead and go to the LG sway bars.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 06-14-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:11 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hi guys,

The puff daddy(pfadt) sway bars were poorly engineered. We could not say that before because puff daddy would get the forum to remove the comments.

The rear bars had the arm angle so steep at ride height that the bar functioned like a transverse torsion bar, or additional rear spring rate and not like a sway bar. Video shows the deflection of the rear bar even in a straight line run.

The front bars would twist and flex sideways which negated the precise per inch change in spring rate.

Then the splined ends were also poorly designed so they would either strip out or move side to side from the lateral forces on the arms as they move.

Our G1 Sway bars are ordinary traditional sway bars with adjustment holes to tune the car slightly. You should not expect to tune the handling totally with bar holes.

if you want to tune your chassis, do it with coil over springs/shocks.

But keep in mind that the PD rear bar is not a sway bar but an additional spring in actual function.

I will debate anyone on the validity of my above statements but I don't want to get into a hero worship fight because there is still some loyalty to the PD brand based upon the marketing but not the function of the products. (but hey, they had pretty colors)

During my 40+ years of racing and 35 years of Professional racing, plus building my first Formula car in 1978, I have been exposed to more racing parts than most people will ever seen. I have built the parts and built cars that won championships and near championships and for 35 + years we have been taking that racing knowledge to various street car parts.

Our performance parts are truly race proven and Race win proven. We don't have the fancy marketing that some have but we have the goods!

We are not perfect by any means but we respond to our customer concerns and their needs. We have improved our products with each production run and like in a race car, the development never stops.

Thanks to our loyal customers for sure. And welcome to any new customers who have never dealt with us.

We do our best and we try to put our customers and their car performance first.

Track events are becoming commonplace lately. We like to think we can provide the power and handling to make your track day a pleasure.

thanks guys,

Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 06-26-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Lou after reading your passionate post (and drinking three beers and perusing the internet - usually trouble) I just pulled the trigger on your G1 bars. I have the Pfadt bars on currently and at the very least the front left spline is stripped out and flapping in the breeze. Don't even know what's going on with the rears. Am definitely looking forward to driving the car with some actual working sway bars attached. I've been working with a Pro Coach recently who said my car was the worst car he's ever driven - just wants to kill you when you get on the power at corner exit. I'm hoping the car will be easier to drive with some actual engineering behind the bars that go on to it. I own a machine shop and am by no means an engineer but when I went to change the sway bar endlinks for the first time last week and really took a look at the bars I couldn't figure out what the hell they were thinking with that design - other than that orange sure does look cool.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 06-26-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Heavy duty sway bars

Old 06-26-2014, 08:56 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Old 06-27-2014, 01:33 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Lou after reading your passionate post (and drinking three beers and perusing the internet - usually trouble) I just pulled the trigger on your G1 bars. I have the Pfadt bars on currently and at the very least the front left spline is stripped out and flapping in the breeze. Don't even know what's going on with the rears. Am definitely looking forward to driving the car with some actual working sway bars attached. I've been working with a Pro Coach recently who said my car was the worst car he's ever driven - just wants to kill you when you get on the power at corner exit. I'm hoping the car will be easier to drive with some actual engineering behind the bars that go on to it. I own a machine shop and am by no means an engineer but when I went to change the sway bar endlinks for the first time last week and really took a look at the bars I couldn't figure out what the hell they were thinking with that design - other than that orange sure does look cool.
Absolute crap other than the pretty orange color of the lever arms. Then again while on track those failed and fell off my car twice lol. I've been running the LG bars for about a year now and zero problems. They might not be orange, but they work and that's all I care about. Ironically the more I track my car the more and more Pfadt stuff keeps coming off my car and more and more LG stuff keeps replacing it. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that if you run on the street and want to look pretty you buy Pfadt, seriously track or race your car get LG.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:48 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lou,

What is the difference between your G1 bar and the GM T1 bar?

Quick Reply: Heavy duty sway bars