Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CORVETTE RACING AT LE MANS: Corvette C7.R Remains in Contention

Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Default CORVETTE RACING AT LE MANS: Corvette C7.R Remains in Contention

CORVETTE RACING AT LE MANS: Corvette C7.R Remains in Contention

Milner triple-stint keeps No. 74 Corvette in lead fight; Garcia’s triple keeps No. 73 close

LE MANS, France (June 15, 2014) – The Chevrolet Corvette C7.R remained in contention through the halfway point of the 24 Hours of Le Mans as Tommy Milner’s triple stint kept Corvette Racing’s No. 74 Corvette in the hunt for a class victory. Milner ran second in GTE Pro as green-flag pit stops cycled through at the 12-hour mark.

The young American stayed within reach of the GTE Pro class-leading Aston Martin after 12 hours of the French endurance classic while withstanding intense pressure from the highest-placed Ferrari at halfway. Earlier, teammates Oliver Gavin and Richard Westbrook each took turns leading in class.

As the race reached halfway, Westbrook was turning his opening laps of his stint. He and the leading Aston Martin were nearly on the same pit strategy with the Corvette in third place.

The top four cars in class were on the lead lap in the dark of night around Le Mans.

Jordan Taylor was fifth in class in the No. 73 Corvette – this after the car lost nearly two laps in the pits when the valve stem that allows the car to be raised on its air jacks failed. Jan Magnussen, Taylor’s teammate along with Antonio, led the race just 40 minutes in before, during and after a hard rain in the opening hour.

Garcia also ran a triple-stint during the night to inch the No. 73 Corvette toward recovering its lost lap.

The next Corvette Racing update from Le Mans will be the halfway report at 9 a.m. CT/3 a.m. ET.

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 73 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“I had a couple of hard stints as it seems we’re struggling to find the speed we had earlier. We also had a problem with the air hose of the jacks, which put us a lap down. Antonio is now running on a different tire compound and is making up some of the lost ground. The track also felt different than it did earlier today.”

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 73 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“That was pretty good - my first triple stint of the race, with no cautions, just racing. It was challenging to find out how far you could push and what to expect from the tires. After the first stint the tires felt great, and they still did after the second, but you still have that question mark in your head on whether they’ll last through the third stint or maybe suddenly drop off. But those Michelins are pretty consistent so no worries there. I managed to keep a pretty decent pace throughout my three stints, and I think I was one of the fastest in our class throughout. It’s a shame what happened to us earlier, because with the leaders racing as close as they do it will be difficult to catch up an entire lap. But I’m glad the other car is up there.”

RICHARD WESTBROOK, NO. 74 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“We were having a good battle with the Aston Martin and Ferrari. Unfortunately the safety car bunched things up to make it a lot more interesting. The Aston was very strong at the end. We have a very good Corvette C7.R. It’s cooling off now so conditions are changing. Grip level has come down somewhat but there is still a long way to go. It’s nice to be fighting at the front and we want to keep that going.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 74 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“For a little bit I had caught the Ferrari and the Aston Martin and had gotten by the Ferrari. I got a nice tow from the Aston for quite awhile that got my best laps of the day. It was fun. The car was pretty good. We tried to triple stint there, and it’s good to know we can go that long. The tire wasn’t that great at the end but it was still a benefit time-wise. The car is good and we have to keep pounding around.”
Old 06-15-2014, 12:03 AM
c5_4_me
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon racing gods! Smile on the Vettes and a couple thorns for the competitors! Plz!
Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c5_4_me
C'mon racing gods! Smile on the Vettes and a couple thorns for the competitors! Plz!
Amen !!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:26 AM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

bump
Old 06-15-2014, 07:20 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Two post-race observations:

1) The C7Rs appear to still have a few minor teething problems that will surely be ironed out soon.

2) Team Corsa is really lucky the race wasn't much longer. I was watching the late race lap times, and both C7Rs were gaining many seconds per lap on the #51 458...
Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Team Corsa is really lucky the race wasn't much longer. I was watching the late race lap times, and both C7Rs were gaining many seconds per lap on the #51 458...
It could just be they were dialing it back to be safe.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 PM
c5_4_me
Pro

2nd and 4th for a first-year car is nothing to be ashamed of. I know, expectations were very high, as they always are for Corvette Racing at Le Mans, and P-cars finished very strongly (1st and 2nd) last year with their first-year cars. But, the team never gave up, both cars finished the race, and one was on the podium.
The Ferrari was strong. It set the fastest qualifying time, and won the race fair and square.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:52 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c5_4_me
2nd and 4th for a first-year car is nothing to be ashamed of. I know, expectations were very high, as they always are for Corvette Racing at Le Mans, and P-cars finished very strongly (1st and 2nd) last year with their first-year cars. But, the team never gave up, both cars finished the race, and one was on the podium.
The Ferrari was strong. It set the fastest qualifying time, and won the race fair and square.
I agree and am happy with the finish. I stayed up for the entire race and it was a constant fight. For a good bit of the race we were even leading! For a brand new car, and the stiff competition I am proud of "our boys" in a 2nd and 4th finish! Just wait until next year!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 PM
c5_4_me
Pro

Heck yeah, cor123.

I watched it all, but truthfully I DVR'd it and fast-forwarded sometimes.

Turns out the Vettes did get some breaks with the #97 Aston Martin's power steering problem and the #92 Porsche's little issue.

I'm looking forward to the next TUSCC race at the Glen and next year at Le Mans already.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:14 AM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
It could just be they were dialing it back to be safe.
Of course, you're right. I realized that's probably what happened after I posted...
Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

One GTE Pro car had a mechanically flawless race. It won.
I think the #51 458 was also consistently triple stinting, which adds up.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:14 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C7R headlights are the same as the C7 other than the yellow lens?

LeMans Audi R18 had Matrix LED and laser headlights

http://www.car-engineer.com/new-audi...d-laser-light/

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTE RACING AT LE MANS: Corvette C7.R Remains in Contention

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CORVETTE RACING AT LE MANS: Corvette C7.R Remains in Contention