Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from Chinese rotors to a 2pc... What can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going from Chinese rotors to a 2pc... What can I expect?

Hi all...
For the past 3 years I've been running cheapo rotors - typically replacing them after 6 to 8 20min sessions. Last summer I spent $600 in fronts for 8 track days.
I just put on my 1st ever set of 2pc rotors -- 500$ KNS 4K rotors, apparently they are the same as the DBA 5000 T3 stuff without the fancy slots.

What can I expect from these? I have 6 track days left for the season... Will they last that long?
FYI: I have 3in ducting with custom tubing, feeding into the center part of the rotors.

Last edited by Z06VENOM; 06-17-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:38 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06VENOM
Hi all...
For the past 3 years I've been running cheapo rotors - typically replacing them after 6 to 8 20min sessions. Last summer I spent $600 in fronts for 8 track days.
I just put on my 1st ever set of 2pc rotors -- 500$ KNS 4K rotors, apparently they are the same as the DBA 5000 T3 stuff without the fancy slots.

What can I expect from these? I have 6 track days left for the season... Will they last that long?
FYI: I have 3in ducting with custom tubing, feeding into the center part of the rotors.
If you go through the cheapo's in 6 - 8 sessions, I would estimate that you won't get more than 14 sessions out of the 2pc rotors.

What pads are you using? Are all you track days at Mosport or are they on other tracks?

I used to get 20 sessions out of Z51 stock rotors with Quantum ducts and Carbo XP 12. With the race car and the Brembo GT's running Brembo rotor rings (>$400 each) and Pagid RS19's, I can get 50+ sessions. But those are HPDE sessions, not TT sessions (i.e. I am only running 2 super hot laps per session and the rest are momentum laps with much less braking).
Old 06-17-2014, 12:43 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You should be able to run the rest of the season on those rotors. I switched from china crap (2 weekends) to the DBA 5000 units. Last year I ran almost the entire season (8 out of 10) events on one set of rings. Well worth the $, especially not having to change rotors every other weekend.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
If you go through the cheapo's in 6 - 8 sessions, I would estimate that you won't get more than 14 sessions out of the 2pc rotors.

What pads are you using? Are all you track days at Mosport or are they on other tracks?

I used to get 20 sessions out of Z51 stock rotors with Quantum ducts and Carbo XP 12. With the race car and the Brembo GT's running Brembo rotor rings (>$400 each) and Pagid RS19's, I can get 50+ sessions. But those are HPDE sessions, not TT sessions (i.e. I am only running 2 super hot laps per session and the rest are momentum laps with much less braking).
Typically 3 weekends on Mosport -- the rest would TMP, GBM and DDT.
I find Mosport fairly easy on brakes, mind you I am only running 1.29's on a GOOD day...
TMP at 1.16's is much harder.
For pads I am running Wilwood H compound .
Old 06-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
You should be able to run the rest of the season on those rotors. I switched from china crap (2 weekends) to the DBA 5000 units. Last year I ran almost the entire season (8 out of 10) events on one set of rings. Well worth the $, especially not having to change rotors every other weekend.
That's what I want to hear! I am sick of swapping rotors all the time!! And always wondering if the rotors are ok...
Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I get most if not all the season out of my Stoptech rings.
$300 per year for rings and no middle of my session wrenching on hot rotors. WELL worth it.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:53 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
$300 per year for rings and no middle of my session wrenching on hot rotors. WELL worth it.
You can buy (4) Stoptech rings for $300
Old 06-18-2014, 02:55 PM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06VENOM
Hi all...

About 3-4 times the annual cost for rotors ...
Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
About 3-4 times the annual cost for rotors ...
On my C6Z I tried the AFX/Coleman two piece heavy duty rotors. First set of rings lasted 7 track days, second set of rings lasted about 5. A set of replacement rings ran me around $500. The problem is I can get 5 days out of cheapo replacement rotors from Advance Auto or GM OEM Rotors. Both cost a little less than $100 ea. No way the math adds up.

I have a set of Wilwood G37 two piece rotors on the car now. Ring replacement is a little more expensive than the Colemans but they have lasted through 10 track days although with some pretty heavy heat checking.

Bill
Old 06-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
You can buy (4) Stoptech rings for $300
Where?? I only get two for that price.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:29 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Last C5
Where?? I only get two for that price.
That's what you said ... LOL

My car uses 4 ...
Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by TorontoC6

I used to get 20 sessions out of Z51 stock rotors with Quantum ducts and Carbo XP 12.
And 90% of the folks I have seen toss out the OEM Z51 rotor much too early. It is a full MM thicker on the inside than others and I have never, never (but there probably is one out there) seen one actually crack like the C5 rotors. They get small cracks and look pretty rough but they just keep on going.

How does that work?? If it is actually accurate then I suspect what I said above is going on.

OEM ~ $100 / 20 = $5 session
Cool stuff 400 / 50 = $8 session

Last edited by rbl; 06-19-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:11 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Carbotech probably has the easiest pads for rotors.

There is not even a comparison on life on a chinese parts store rotor and a Wilwood, DBA, or Coleman ring. In March 2011 I cracked a nearly new chinese rotor on the warm up lap behind the pace car, putting heat into the brakes. That was in for me. I put on a set of Wilwood Spec37 rings after and in March 2013 they were finally done and I put on a set of 5000 DBA's (rotor walls are .100" thicker) this past Feb. At one point I did the math on how many days they had on them, I can't remember the number but it was MULTIPLE dozens, including 2011 NASA nationals racing and TT'ing, and other races and TT days in the mix between then and March 2013 (car went through a rebuild from March '13 to Feb '14).
Old 06-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbl
And 90% of the folks I have seen toss out the OEM Z51 rotor much too early. It is a full MM thicker on the inside than others and I have never, never (but there probably is one out there) seen one actually crack like the C5 rotors. They get small cracks and look pretty rough but they just keep on :
Never ran a Z51 rotor... But did have a rotor come apart on me on TMP going in the hairpin after the esses... After a bang the pedal went to the floor! No fun -- managed to avoid a wreck and played it safe ever since. If I see heat/stress cracks that's to much to my liking, I just change em
Old 06-19-2014, 02:48 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Carbotech probably has the easiest pads for rotors.

There is not even a comparison on life on a chinese parts store rotor and a Wilwood, DBA, or Coleman ring. In March 2011 I cracked a nearly new chinese rotor on the warm up lap behind the pace car, putting heat into the brakes. That was in for me. I put on a set of Wilwood Spec37 rings after and in March 2013 they were finally done and I put on a set of 5000 DBA's (rotor walls are .100" thicker) this past Feb. At one point I did the math on how many days they had on them, I can't remember the number but it was MULTIPLE dozens, including 2011 NASA nationals racing and TT'ing, and other races and TT days in the mix between then and March 2013 (car went through a rebuild from March '13 to Feb '14).

What caliper and pads?
Old 06-19-2014, 02:54 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

While most people have given their take I find this question very difficult to answer without knowing your skill level and more importantly which track you go to the most.

I run in the Advanced Group with Chin and have found my brakes last A LOT longer if I track Road Atlanta all the time versus Sebring.

Even with AP rotors and calipers I still go through my rotors almost as much as I did DBA4000's. It's just so hard on brakes.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
While most people have given their take I find this question very difficult to answer without knowing your skill level and more importantly which track you go to the most.

I run in the Advanced Group with Chin and have found my brakes last A LOT longer if I track Road Atlanta all the time versus Sebring.

Even with AP rotors and calipers I still go through my rotors almost as much as I did DBA4000's. It's just so hard on brakes.
I am fairly aggressive and typically in the top 3 when I attend TT around here... Been doing TT for 15yrs or so
Mid Ohio couple weeks ago: cracked a rotor after 6 x 20 min sessions...

Get notified of new replies

To Going from Chinese rotors to a 2pc... What can I expect?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Are you running your rotors on the street to season them first or are you hitting the track with brand new ones? I've noticed a HUGE difference in rotor life if I run them on the street for a while before using them for track duty.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Are you running your rotors on the street to season them first or are you hitting the track with brand new ones? I've noticed a HUGE difference in rotor life if I run them on the street for a while before using them for track duty.
Yeah you are right... A fresh set (swapped at the track) will only last 2 - 4 sessions for on a track that's hard on brakes. I try to season them as much as I can
Old 06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
What caliper and pads?
stock calipers (at the time) and XP12 pads

Quick Reply: Going from Chinese rotors to a 2pc... What can I expect?