Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can someone explain? C7.R

Old 06-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Schuby_racer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone explain? C7.R

I didn't get a chance to watch the new C7.R run its first 24 hours of LeMans, but I was reading an article with a picture posted to it and was wondering if anyone can explain the function of what I saw located in the trunk. I imagine it's some combination of brake ducking, and cooling for the trans and differential cooler.
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Schuby_racer
I didn't get a chance to watch the new C7.R run its first 24 hours of LeMans, but I was reading an article with a picture posted to it and was wondering if anyone can explain the function of what I saw located in the trunk. I imagine it's some combination of brake ducting, and cooling for the trans and differential cooler.

If the front of those ducts go to an outside high pressure area, they feed pressurized ambient air across the air conditioning condenser, which is where the normal license plate is.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:12 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pumba
If the front of those ducts go to an outside high pressure area, they feed pressurized ambient air across the air conditioning condenser, which is where the normal license plate is.
The front of the ducts go to the inlets in front of the rear tires. IIRC, they redirect the air so some goes to diff/trans coolers, and some goes to brake cooling.

They have to do this because the C7.R ditched the decklid ducts. Which is ironic because the only reason they are on the C7, is because the C6.R came up with the idea. GM marketed the upper ducts as proof that the C7 had a bunch of innovations from their racing program... then they went ahead and killed them on the newest race car. So I don't know what to think.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuriousDonuts
The front of the ducts go to the inlets in front of the rear tires. IIRC, they redirect the air so some goes to diff/trans coolers, and some goes to brake cooling.

They have to do this because the C7.R ditched the decklid ducts. Which is ironic because the only reason they are on the C7, is because the C6.R came up with the idea. GM marketed the upper ducts as proof that the C7 had a bunch of innovations from their racing program... then they went ahead and killed them on the newest race car. So I don't know what to think.
Maybe for packaging in a street car the deck-lid ducts worked better? It looks like those ducts used in the C7R take up a whole lot of room in the cargo area.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:55 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Perhaps the wing changed the airflow to where the ducts were???
Old 06-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Schuby_racer
I didn't get a chance to watch the new C7.R run its first 24 hours of LeMans, but I was reading an article with a picture posted to it and was wondering if anyone can explain the function of what I saw located in the trunk. I imagine it's some combination of brake ducking, and cooling for the trans and differential cooler.
When they pulled the car apart to replace the belts during the race they removed that piece to get down to the belts (I saw them do it and was wondering what it was). Probably something you wouldn't want in a car that functions as a passenger car with a trunk that is used for carrying things.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To can someone explain? C7.R

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can someone explain? C7.R