Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch choices

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Zeoohsix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch choices

So I know that this subject will likely result in many different opinions but that is what I am looking for here. I want to get the pros and cons for different clutch options for my '04 Z06. I had to do some other work and have will be nearly to the point of doing a clutch job and at 50,000 miles and a car that I am doing HPDE track days in it makes sense to do it.

I occasionally drive the car on the street, maybe once or twice a week and sometimes in traffic. I have done some minor power mods and I am putting down 388HP at the rear wheels. I plan to do Kooks longtubes along with this job and wind up around 400 RWHP. Not planning to go much beyond that so I don't need a monster clutch.

I don't want to lose a decent clutch feel and don't need a clutch that is overkill but I am tracking the car (mostly VIR, CMP, Roebling Road, and Road Atlanta, 5 or 6 events a year) and want something that will hold up to the abuse.

What are the advantages of the ls7 clutch being offered on the forum? Is the lightweight flywheel worthwhile? How light is too light for a car I do drive occasionally? Cost is a factor, I don't want to spend over $1000 for a complete set-up.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using a Mantic single disc for the past two seasons and it's performed flawlessly and is extremely street friendly. My buddy with an Exedy twin in his camaro praises how easy it is to drive every time he drives it. When I was deciding on clutches I looked into the LS7 setup and decided on this as bit more robust alternative. I think I paid a bit under $800 for it.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:23 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

My usage is about the same - mostly track with some street use thrown in. I had a Monster clutch and light weight flywheel in the car and hated it - noisy as hell. Be wary of racing clutch that aren't designed to be slipped - on the street they suck. I switched to the LS7 clutch and flywheel and like it much better - a lot better for all around usage.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Check out Rock Auto they have the Luk Pro Gold unit PN# 04905 for $318 which is the LS7 unit, then pick up an aluminum flywheel from Summit for $450. Sure the LS7 unit is somewhat heavy but all in all it's lighter than stock LS6 unit.
While your at it make sure you replace the slave cylinder and install a remote bleeder.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeoohsix
So I know that this subject will likely result in many different opinions but that is what I am looking for here. I want to get the pros and cons for different clutch options for my '04 Z06. I had to do some other work and have will be nearly to the point of doing a clutch job and at 50,000 miles and a car that I am doing HPDE track days in it makes sense to do it.

I occasionally drive the car on the street, maybe once or twice a week and sometimes in traffic. I have done some minor power mods and I am putting down 388HP at the rear wheels. I plan to do Kooks longtubes along with this job and wind up around 400 RWHP. Not planning to go much beyond that so I don't need a monster clutch.

I don't want to lose a decent clutch feel and don't need a clutch that is overkill but I am tracking the car (mostly VIR, CMP, Roebling Road, and Road Atlanta, 5 or 6 events a year) and want something that will hold up to the abuse.

What are the advantages of the ls7 clutch being offered on the forum? Is the lightweight flywheel worthwhile? How light is too light for a car I do drive occasionally? Cost is a factor, I don't want to spend over $1000 for a complete set-up.

Any thoughts guys?
For your setup I would recommend the Level 2 with a 28lbs flywheel it will have great street manners and still be able to go to the track and have some fun. Give us a call and we can get you a good deal (817-750-2000).
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch choices

Quick Reply: Clutch choices