Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

telemetry and data capture at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 04:51 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default telemetry and data capture at the track?

I want to capture data while on the track. I have a hard mount camera mount and sony video camera but that's all. What do I need to be able to get the gauges and G's on the camera so it's visible when I view it later. I am a little familiar with trackmate. But I'm not sure about the integration

I'm not a total techie nor am I completely ignorant of technology. So, hopefully, I'll be able to grasp what you recomend

Thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is what I would do - about $200 to get the stuff required. Another $200 if you want to use a gopro white.

Buy Harry's lap timer Grand Prix app for a smartphone (assuming you already have a phone). Then, get a Bluetooth GPS receiver (dual xgps150a) and use that with the app. You can also get a wifi obd2 dongle (obdlink mx) to capture engine data. If you record via gopro, you can use Bluetooth to start recording when on the track (app does it).

The trick is to later upload it all to the app and overlay it onto the video. Results are great, but it isn't simple. Here is a link for more info:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html
Old 06-20-2014, 07:09 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

If mostly you just want videos with data overlay then tytek's solution is economical and easy. Its the way to go if you have a iPhone or Android.

If you are looking for full data logging that will help you improve as a driver while also doing the fancy videos then it gets more expensive and complicated. There are several data logging systems with software to integrate the video at various price points - all have their pundits. I have a Traqmate and a Sony video camera. I don't however have Traqmate's video software ($149) but instead have used RaceRender for the integration and found it difficult and time consuming. Part of the problem is the Sony camera and their proprietary video format. The wide angle is not wide enough and converting to a standard format is a pain. A GoPro would be a far better camera to use for in-car footage.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:48 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out TrackAddict HD http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html. They have a pretty good list of add-ons required to log OBDII data here http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html

I can vouch for RaceRender but have not used TrackAddict. It looks like a good entry point. My system has evolved into the following and I highlighted the features that I like about it -- you can certainly find those features on a number of different platforms.

Camera(s)

I have two VioPOV HDs. Global shutter to eliminate jelly vision, rf remote to start and stop filming from the drivers seat even with multiple cameras, viewfinder to aim the camera during setup, 12V adapters available so the batteries never die or need recharging, and an external microphone input.

Microphone

You want a dynamic mic to handle the loud sounds; cheaper electret condenser mics will saturate and sound like wind noise. I have a Shure C606-WD that was relatively cheap. It is tucked into the rear compartment near the mufflers but out of the wind.

Logger

I have a pricey Aim Solo DL, but I love it. OBDII connector provides data and power, so I never have to charge that either. Predictive lap timing is instant feedback for when you are trying different things. Software to analyze the data is super powerful, but you need lots of seat time with it before it becomes usable. There are several videos on how to use it which are very helpful.

Video Software

RaceRender is the best and keeps getting better. Easiest to learn and most powerful. Supports many video and data formats. Easily customizable to display whatever you have however you want it.

Sample videos with this system are here:

What this video shows is:

Forward view
Rear view "mirrored"
Outside air temp
Lap times
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Coolant temp
RPM
Gear
GPS Speed
Fuel level
Throttle pedal position
Lateral and longitudinal G-forces
Track Slope
Track position
Track elevation (shading)

What my system doesn't do that I really need it to do: Log brake pressure and steering wheel angle.

Last edited by naschmitz; 06-20-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have an Android phone, check the RaceChrono App. The Pro version has integrated video with data overlay right on the phone.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

AWESOME information. Thanks so much for sharing. I will digest this info and figure out what is best for me. FYI, I do have an android phone. It sounds like my Sony camera is out. So, either I use the GoPro or my phone.
Thanks again

Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this thread out: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...lap-timer.html

You can also find more info on my telemetry setup at http://www.frogracing.us/technology/telemetry
Old 06-21-2014, 09:23 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use RaceChrono, a Qstarz external GPS, ELM327 bluetooth OBD reader, a Kodak Playsport HD camera, and RaceRender software to merge it together and make the vids. '03 c5z06. Once you get the hang of downloading the files and pulling them into RaceRender, it doesn't take too much time or effort to put it all together.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,081 Likes on 650 Posts

I use a Race Keeper. Super simple to use. Supports up to 4 cameras. Full data capture. There are more cost effective solutions with better video quality but none that I found to be as easy to use with completely integrated data.

Get notified of new replies

To telemetry and data capture at the track?

Quick Reply: telemetry and data capture at the track?