Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap blank rotors (autozone, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Default cheap blank rotors (autozone, etc)

Who has some cheap directional rotors I can warp and get replaced under warranty?

I've come to learn rotors are all pretty close to the same deal and I might as well just get ones I can return with a dumb look on my face every 3-4 months.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No warranty to speak of, but last year I got 4 rotors for C5/C6 from rockauto for $100 total. I haven't seen anything cheaper than that anywhere.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I don't know of any "lifetime warranty" rotors that are Vette specific.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Warp? I've never "warped" a rotor. Overheated pads and transferred them onto the rotor.

If you search I have posted where you can order Brembo blanks for $50 or so shipped.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:34 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Who has some cheap directional rotors I can warp and get replaced under warranty?

I've come to learn rotors are all pretty close to the same deal and I might as well just get ones I can return with a dumb look on my face every 3-4 months.
I've not had rotors get pad deposits on them bad enough from track days to get swapped out. Excessively heat checked and cracked, yes, but not "warping".

They're just not worth the nagging conscience and time to get them off the car, leave the car on jackstands/lift, go swap them, and reverse the process.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-21-2014, 11:56 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Warp? I've never "warped" a rotor. Overheated pads and transferred them onto the rotor.

If you search I have posted where you can order Brembo blanks for $50 or so shipped.

Rotors never acutually warp, it just feels that way. They glaze, they have bad runout, they crack, but IMO they never actually warp.

Like a potato chip?

I think they crack b4 that.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most people I know that do track days consider rotors to be a maintenance item. We buy stock replacement rotors and toss them when the show signs of overheating, cracking or they get close to the minimum thickness value that's cast into the rotor.

Most chain parts stores will not do recurring warranty replacements unless you know somebody that works there. They have already been thru people trying to use a "free lifetime replacement warranty" to get what amounts to free parts. If they get suspicious, their jobber can easily tell if a product like rotors have been abused. That will easily kill a freebie replacement.

Rockauto has some decent prices on rotors but be careful with shipping charges. Also NAPA has some decent rotors. Also consider that most all stock replacement rotors are made in China.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Which do you get from RockAuto (for a 2000): cheapest, least expensive from Delco, ...

I've read the Z51 rotors are thicker but RockAuto doesn't list which are Z51's.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:36 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got the cheapest ones they had, period. IMO all of those OEM-type blanks are the same Chinese cast iron put into different boxes, might as well get the cheapest ones.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:28 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Which do you get from RockAuto (for a 2000): cheapest, least expensive from Delco, ...

Its the "heavy duty" option I think....J56 or something like that.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Most people I know that do track days consider rotors to be a maintenance item. We buy stock replacement rotors and toss them when the show signs of overheating, cracking or they get close to the minimum thickness value that's cast into the rotor.

Most chain parts stores will not do recurring warranty replacements unless you know somebody that works there. They have already been thru people trying to use a "free lifetime replacement warranty" to get what amounts to free parts. If they get suspicious, their jobber can easily tell if a product like rotors have been abused. That will easily kill a freebie replacement.

Rockauto has some decent prices on rotors but be careful with shipping charges. Also NAPA has some decent rotors. Also consider that most all stock replacement rotors are made in China.
At Advance Auto you will get one free replacement. Their warranty is a limited life time warranty which gets you one replacement rotor.

Bill
Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
For a C5 the Z51 rotors are the same.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-23-2014, 07:18 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea I strongly disagree with some of the previous posts. All cheap rotors are not equal! Do not get napa. I cracked a rotor after 4 sessions. I am currently trying the warrenty through autozone. All the cheap $50 rotors are made in china. Doesnt mean they are bad. Made in china is getting less and less of a concern these days accross the board. The best, most durable rotors ive found are from Brakemotive. They last about 3 full track days a piece. Now I havent completely gone through the autozone warrenty to see how they handle it but i seeit like this. If I buy a rotor from them and it cracks and get one replacement the it knocks the price down to $25 a piece. When I bought them I didnt know their was a warranty, it was just a rotor I needed at the track and I told him "I crack these things so fast" and he said well these are warranty if you do crack them. I said "its not a question if, its a question when" and he laughed and said well bring them back and we can get them replaced.

I honestly dont think most autozones will care. Its not coming out of the average clerks pocket. Who cares if it is abused. They dont say "warranty only if used under light braking". They stand behind their product so im going to see how long they last.

Ill tell you though, you HAVE to move your car off track every two minutes so the rotor cools evenly. I have ducts, took 3 cool down laps and thought "that should be enough" and one cracked from napa. There werent even surface cracks in the thing. Just heard the ting and bam sure enough. Brake motive can handle some punishment though. They cost about $60 a piece though. They also are no longer a corvette forum vendor (not sure why) so its harder to get a hold of them.

Get notified of new replies

To cheap blank rotors (autozone, etc)

Quick Reply: cheap blank rotors (autozone, etc)