Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran my first AutoX

Old 06-22-2014, 05:24 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Ran my first AutoX

Years ago I did a AutoX Drivers school in my 05 GTO but I don't really count that.

This weekend was GM Nationals at Carlisle and finally they had an AutoX there on Friday night. 15 car shootout for prizes. I figured I had no chance but wanted to go have fun anyway.

We started late so they skipped the walk through which sucked but we got 3 passes of 3 laps since it was an extremely short course.

My car is a 08 A6 with headers, C6z mufflers, Z51 brakes, Z51 sway bars and Z06 shocks on stock sized Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires.

I had a blast but learned some things too late, the back "horseshoe" I didn't realize was so wide (no walk through!) and I should have altered my line wider, I also never came out of first until the end of the track, I wish I would have tried to use second to be smoother on the throttle. Oh well, I still had a blast and it makes me want to attend local events soon. Here are 3 videos I have from my final run. I got DQed my first run for missing the straight section on the last lap (didn't notice they moved the cone), second run I ran a 76.x and the last lap I ran a 75.x, fastest run of the day from some of the veterans was a 68.x.

Video my wife took from the hillside

GoPro inside car on windshield

Another GoPro behind rear wheel

Last edited by SK360; 06-22-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:00 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Since you are from Pittsburgh go see the folks here: http://stcsolo.com/.

More than couple Corvette guys there and some of them are very fast. Sam Strano in particular.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Solteka
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks fun!

Thanks for sharing the videos.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Since you are from Pittsburgh go see the folks here: http://stcsolo.com/.

More than couple Corvette guys there and some of them are very fast. Sam Strano in particular.
Yeah, I know of Sam from all of his work with the 4th gen Camaros and have seen his Grandsport at PittRace before. If you know Brian with the Yellow C5Z he is an old friend of mine, he has been trying to get me to come out to the PittRace Track Cross, I really want to make it out.

I have run the NHSCC Drivers school at the north park pool in my 05 GTO before.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Great video - congrats on the runs.You had great improvements!
(Was one of the club members assisting Friday and Sunday on the course)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:39 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
Great video - congrats on the runs.You had great improvements!
(Was one of the club members assisting Friday and Sunday on the course)
Thanks! I wish I could have gotten some more shots at it, especially now after seeing the videos. Dave (I think that was his name, from your club with the red grandsport?) told me they were going to stick around for some practice runs after and I was welcome to stay and run some more but the rest of my group were ready to leave for dinner so I left after they announced the top 3.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:44 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
Yeah, I know of Sam from all of his work with the 4th gen Camaros and have seen his Grandsport at PittRace before. If you know Brian with the Yellow C5Z he is an old friend of mine, he has been trying to get me to come out to the PittRace Track Cross, I really want to make it out.

I have run the NHSCC Drivers school at the north park pool in my 05 GTO before.
Yup, I know Brian. He moved now, as I'm sure you know. He's active on this forum however as AverageVetteNut. Never did the Track Cross yet, and the key word is yet. Need to find the time.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 AM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

How was the show attendance? I use to bring my camaro down for that show but then the attendance really dropped so it wasn't worth the journey. Hopefully the Auto-x helps draw some more cars, I'd consider the run down again if the show is well attended.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Yup, I know Brian. He moved now, as I'm sure you know. He's active on this forum however as AverageVetteNut. Never did the Track Cross yet, and the key word is yet. Need to find the time.
Yeah he was telling me at the PVGP AutoX last year that he was goin down south. Good to hear he got there.

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed
How was the show attendance? I use to bring my camaro down for that show but then the attendance really dropped so it wasn't worth the journey. Hopefully the Auto-x helps draw some more cars, I'd consider the run down again if the show is well attended.
Show attendance was the best it's been in years and Carlisle is saying this is the 3rd biggest in terms of registration. The show took a big hit whenever the ACA moved camaro nationals to Maryland and schedules it on the same weekend every year.. It's like 2 kids fighting. They need to move their event to a different weekend so they don't have to make people pick between the 2.

Get notified of new replies

To Ran my first AutoX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ran my first AutoX