Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad chunking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:09 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake pad chunking?

Anyone have any idea what would cause a pad to do this, notice the line scribed on the pad. They were a new set of pads I put on then ran 3 days at Road Atlanta, I didn't notice anything on the track. When I put the street tires on though I immediately started noticing vibration and sound from the effected wheel. I figure the pads have about 50% life left in them only this one was affected I am wondering if I can still use it and it will wear in correctly or if I should trash the set. Only this one padlet was affected like this.

The rotor seems fine by the way.
Attached Images   
Old 06-22-2014, 08:21 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

What was your bed-in procedure?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM
morris
Drifting

7 stops from 70 to 30 then cool off. But I would think if that was the cause it would have manifested during the first 2 days or so
Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

what brand pad? if cobalt get in touch with handy he might help ya out
Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
7 stops from 70 to 30 then cool off. But I would think if that was the cause it would have manifested during the first 2 days or so
Definitely not anywhere near enough bed-in temperatures generated with those speeds. Also, after a closer look at the pictures, it looks like a little glazing in the top from overheating. I suspect you had some fracturing on day 1 due to insufficient bed-in and it manifested itself and showed up later when the pad overheated after some wear.

At Road A, the entry to 10a is pretty severe on pad temps. So is entry to T5, even though the duration is shorter than 10a. You have to bed-in properly and then sit for 24 hours afterwards or you'll risk chunking.

If that is your worst pad, you can get some more use out of them if you don't have any deep cracking. I would (lightly) knock the glaze off with the edge of a flat file.

For your next set, check with your supplier to see if you can get them pre-bedded, it helps.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:59 PM
morris
Drifting

Yea its a Cobalt pad made for a PFC Zrated brake setup. It is the only pad that appears to have had issues, I guess the pad will be okay but it does make a good bit of rotational noise when I turn to the right which puts lateral pressure on the drivers side rear which is wear the pad is located.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pad chunking?

Quick Reply: Brake pad chunking?