Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Five point harness + head and neck system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Five point harness + head and neck system?

How many on here use a head and neck system, such as HANS or Simpson Hybrid (etc) with their five point harness and race seat during HPDE?

I am going to start driving a car (C5Z) that has a race seat and harness (both seats), and was debating the health and safety aspect of using a head and neck restraint with it. Also, do some of you just (or additionally) use a side mounted nylon net?

The cost of the HANS device or similar product vs. its proven benefit is a no brainer, but I still wonder what people's thought process is behind their decision to use it or not to use it...
Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 PM
C6WNC
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tytek
How many on here use a head and neck system, such as HANS or Simpson Hybrid (etc) with their five point harness and race seat during HPDE?

I am going to start driving a car (C5Z) that has a race seat and harness (both seats), and was debating the health and sanfety aspect of using a head and neck restraint with it. Also, do some of you just (or additionally) use a side mounted nylon net?

The cost of the HANS device or similar product vs. its proven benefit is a no brainer, but I still wonder what people's thought process is behind their decision to use it or not to use it...
I have race seats, five point belts and wear a Hans. If you are going to use the belts you need to invest in a neck restraint. I was told early on when I started DE's the first upgrade beside brake fluid and track pads was safety equipment. Head and neck restraints are mandatory in racing for a reason and the longer you participate in DE's the faster you will go. Think of it this way, if your going 130+ and hit the brake to slow for a corner and the peddle goes to the floor and the tire wall is fast approaching, would you want to be wearing a Hans with your 5 point belts?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cost of the HANS device or similar product vs. its proven benefit is a no brainer
You had it correct here.

If you are using 5-point belts, you need a HANS.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is an intersting article on the subject:

http://blog.parathyroid.com/race-car...racing-deaths/
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
You had it correct here.

So, which device offers best protection? HANS is good for frontal crashes, or so I hear, but doesn't offer much protection for off axis hits. Simpson, Hutchins, Leat, or Necksgen? Those are supposed to keep your noggin from injuring your spine and aorta in various impacts. Is that so?

What head and neck systems do you guys use and why?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, which device offers best protection?
My mistake, I should have used the term “head and neck restraining device".

I'm sure any device that passes the FIA standards will be acceptable.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...estraint_0.pdf

I purchased a HANS, as it was the "standard". Also, my LeMons team was using them, and it was easier that we all had the same anchors in our helmets.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

In a 5/6 point harness you will not reach the airbag. With the added weight of a helmet on your head the forces your neck see in an impact are exponentially higher.

IIRC A 40 mph impact places ~ 1200 pounds of force on your neck while wearing a helmet.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, I was familiar with the extreme forces generated during sudden stops, and those are especially true when your neck is burdened with additional pounds.

I found this write up that talks about various devices and their prefromance:

http://www.racedaysafety.com/whhenere.html
Old 06-24-2014, 01:33 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes I wear one as well. There is a school of thought that you should only use harnesses and a HANS in a fully caged car. Reason being if you rolled and the roof was crushed your head is basically locked in an upright position and would take that impact. I myself do not have a caged car so hope I don't have to test that ...
Old 06-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire
In a 5/6 point harness you will not reach the airbag. With the added weight of a helmet on your head the forces your neck see in an impact are exponentially higher.

IIRC A 40 mph impact places ~ 1200 pounds of force on your neck while wearing a helmet.
Even with a 6 point harness a person can come into contact with a steering wheel mounted airbag. In a hit the harness stretches quite a bit. If you watch the slow motion videos of crash testing done with Schroth harnesses you can see the dummy's body gets very close to the steering wheel.

This video is of a side impact but it shows how far the human body will move even when restrained by a race harness and a containment seat. The video shows a seemingly light brush with the wall and the driver's body moves over a foot. Same thing will happen in frontal impacts.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Wh...t_Side_Net.wmv

You really do want the harness to stretch since if it didn't the force of the impact would be dissipated in your body where really bad things could happen like tearing of the Aorta.

Bill
Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Even with a 6 point harness a person can come into contact with a steering wheel mounted airbag. In a hit the harness stretches quite a bit. If you watch the slow motion videos of crash testing done with Schroth harnesses you can see the dummy's body gets very close to the steering wheel.

This video is of a side impact but it shows how far the human body will move even when restrained by a race harness and a containment seat. The video shows a seemingly light brush with the wall and the driver's body moves over a foot. Same thing will happen in frontal impacts.

You really do want the harness to stretch since if it didn't the force of the impact would be dissipated in your body where really bad things could happen like tearing of the Aorta.

Bill
Wow, haven't see that video yet. That is a violent crash, on the inside. Almost unbelievable... how much force is exerted on the driver.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
DAYUM
Old 06-25-2014, 06:03 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In a frontal hit, the Hans brand seems to be the gold standard. I have yet to see a convincing demonstration from the other manufacturers making a head and neck restraint that is as effective. But, I do hope there is better technology in the near future which incorporates a side impact.

HANS

Necksgen
Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I use the Defender which was the fore runner of the Nextgen. Get the Nextgen, it's more comfortable, as adjustable, and protects every bit as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something commonly overlooked in HN restraint conversation is the importance of wearing the lightest helmet you can afford. Physical fitness is huge as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also use the defnder. It also good side to side limitations and is fully adjustable for you and your harness system.

One thing I haven't seen in this string is the proper seat. The newer race seats are designed and built with a little extra room for the Head & neck restraint to fit properly. If you don't have the designed seat, the system will not work as designed.

Don't be cheap on safety !!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:21 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

It is great to see so much good input in this thread. I ended up getting a carbon fiber HANS device with quick release tethers and will report on its fit and feel (hopefully not function) next time I am out on track in a month or so.

Weight of the helmet is important too; I paid attention to it when I used to ride motorcycles, but somehow didn't do it for my racing bucket. Well... maybe next time, after this one expires.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
You had it correct here.

Get notified of new replies

To Five point harness + head and neck system?

Quick Reply: Five point harness + head and neck system?