Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

make your own racing communicator out of walkie talkie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default make your own racing communicator out of walkie talkie?

Anyone ever tried this? All the basic walkie talkies have a plug for an ear bud. I would like to just disassemble the unit, wire in the mic to fit in the front of my helmet, wire in the ear bud, then wire the side push to talk button into a button on the wheel. It would take maybe a few hours to do it right but a pair of these things cost $50 at walmart and maybe another $10 in wire etc and then the button on the wheel.

All in all get away definately under $100. The cheapest I can find made already is usually around $250....

Is there a problem with voltage or range that I'm not thinking of before I go splitting one of these things open?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify: are you talking about a car-to-pit communicator, or a driver-to-passenger communicator?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:28 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

If you are talking pit/driver I cannot imagine you would end up with anything worth the effort seeing as the (unlimited budget) F1 teams often have problems.

Driver/pass maybe but doesn't chatterbox already do it pretty cheaply?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:20 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was talking car to pit. I figure im not ready to drop the bux on a communication setup at this point (way too many things higher on the list) but risking $50 cant loose much.

Guess there is always stick my phone in the car and have a bluetooth earpiece in the helmet... that would work also.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I've used some FRS/GMRS radios for car to pit in the past. The range isn't exceptional but for talking to home base while going down the main straight it works. I just used an earbud with an in-line mic and it worked ok. Definitely get the longest range radios that you can find. The "2 mile range" ones are nowhere near that when inside a car.

We use the radios for truck to truck communications while caravaning to events so we already have a few sets of radios.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I've used some FRS/GMRS radios for car to pit in the past. The range isn't exceptional but for talking to home base while going down the main straight it works. I just used an earbud with an in-line mic and it worked ok. Definitely get the longest range radios that you can find. The "2 mile range" ones are nowhere near that when inside a car.

We use the radios for truck to truck communications while caravaning to events so we already have a few sets of radios.
We use Motorola FRS/GMRS radios and this for headests:
http://www.buytwowayradios.com/produ...-hm200-mt.aspx

Put the PTT on the shifter.

We actually find that the Midland radios have better range than the Motorola's, but didn't have headsets for them, so we used the Motorola in-car and Midland in the pit. Depending upon the track and pit location, we get pretty close to full coverage.

Get notified of new replies

To make your own racing communicator out of walkie talkie?

Quick Reply: make your own racing communicator out of walkie talkie?