Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTC-500 on C5, not a C6 as "intended"

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:42 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default GTC-500 on C5, not a C6 as "intended"

I wish I could see this thing in person to see how much this honestly truly matters, but there's zero information I can find. If I missed it in a search, by all means, correct me.

Short version: Can a GTC-500 be made to work, with minimal nightmare, on a C5?

Longer question:
Not scared of welding up supports for it to mount to, etc, just need to know the mounts arent too wide for the body or anything like that.

I've never installed a wing on a corvette, but I've seen them with the bumper off, and I cant imagine one wouldnt want to construct some form of mounting system as opposed to bending the crap out of the fascia. So if that's the route I'm going, is the GTC-500 going to work?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:54 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You will need supports wherever you put the wing. Minimal nightmare is relative - you will need to weld and cut and bolt an anchoring system together. Go through the top of the fascia (with the aluminum support) and anchor the support to the bumper.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
You will need supports wherever you put the wing. Minimal nightmare is relative - you will need to weld and cut and bolt an anchoring system together. Go through the top of the fascia (with the aluminum support) and anchor the support to the bumper.
do you know for sure that the 500 isnt too wide to work on the c5? my biggest fear is getting this thing and finding it's off by several inches.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

70" width is narrower than what most of us use.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:02 PM
sean.b
Drifting

70" width is narrower than what most of us use.
what is it most of us are using?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Don't think of using APR's mounting setup. it is idiotic and I would think that ~10" further back would be beneficial in terms of airflow (but who knows).
If you must use that wing, get the universal version and make your own supports.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I have a Good Aero wing.
A marginally less efficient but significantly cheaper setup (that I highly recommend, and not just to my competitors) is the AJ Hartman wing (http://www.ajhartmanracing.com/ajhr-wings-no-uprights/). 72" width. Mount it high (top of endplates ~5" above the roof). Made in the USA, with love, small biz, local, organic, non-GMO etc.
If you have to have a 3D style wing/class rules that require a low rear mount, the LG wing is good but pricey.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 06-24-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

You will need front aero with any of these. Like not drivable on the street splitters, convert from bottom breather to front breather, etc.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 PM
sean.b
Drifting

You will need front aero with any of these. Like not drivable on the street splitters, convert from bottom breather to front breather, etc.
yea, well aware. car is going on the trailer permanently once i make this leap researching those wings you mentioned, now. thanks for the info!

Get notified of new replies

To GTC-500 on C5, not a C6 as "intended"

Quick Reply: GTC-500 on C5, not a C6 as "intended"