Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has had a heart "event" and still drives?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Default Who has had a heart "event" and still drives?

Who takes blood thinners and still drives?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that info would be kept quiet . I know someone who does ...
Old 06-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I've had a heart attack back in 2007. Still drive autox. Had my second heart attack actually AT an autoX last sunday morning. Seems I'll be on plavix now. Ask the doctor about it as I was specifically concerned that should there be an accident would I have a clotting issue? Said it was a thinner, not an anticoagulant, and he thought that it should not be a problem. Thus I will be running again as soon as I am able.

My understanding is that for wheel to wheel racing there is a physical required by some if not all santioning bodies, and some drugs will get you disallowed. I don't know the depth or the details of that, as I don't wheel to wheel and have not looked into it.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

A buddy is wanting to know.

He only does DE days, he is afraid to ask as he will send up a red flag.

Shouldn't the On site EMT's know?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:15 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No heart attacks but I have cadio myopathy (i.e. reduced cardio capacity as a result of deteriorated heart muscle caused by a past virus).

I have a pacemaker and embedded defibrillator and have been tracking with those for the last few years. I notify the host organization and typically wear an extra bracelet that lists my meds (no blood thinners but other heart meds). I also have a medic alert bracelet.

I have regular cardiologist and pacemaker appointments. My pacemaker will record any irregularities or elevated heart rate events. After ~30 events (that included a few spins, minor offs and a blown differential at high speed), my pacemaker has never detected any events that required intervention.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

It depends. if he crashes and is injured does he want them to know before he bleeds out?

or after?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan

My understanding is that for wheel to wheel racing there is a physical required by some if not all santioning bodies, and some drugs will get you disallowed. I don't know the depth or the details of that, as I don't wheel to wheel and have not looked into it.

This is the SCCA Medical Form. It is required that all racers get a physical before racing. The older you get the more often you need to re-qualify for the physical. For example, if you are in your 50s you need to pass the physical every two years vs. before that I recall it being every five years. Over 60 or so it is every year. The NASA form is basically a copy of the SCCA form. Here it is:
http://www.scca.com/assets/Physical1.pdf

I have a bad case of arthritis and other injuries to my left shoulder. I sometimes take Aleve to keep the inflammation down when I am doing a lot of mountain biking, exercising, etc. But I notice when I take it the back of my hands seem to cut more easily when working on the car. That is not a big deal, but I do notice that I bleed a lot when on Aleve. Perhaps it is not a anticoagulant nor a blood thinner as it is an NSAID, but I quit taking it a week before racing weekends, if taking it at the time, so as to provide extra protection if I have a severe crash. I am not so worried about visible bleeding, but perhaps something bleeding in my torso or cranium. That is just what I do and I am not an MD.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

PS. When going through the physical there are EKGs, peripheral vision tests, etc. Having ailments is OK and you can still get approved, but the doctor must attest that he or she thinks you can "sustain the stresses, heat, G-forces... etc. of the harsh environment of racing." At SCCA all Med forms are approved by the SCCA race doctor. If you have certain ailments you may be required to provide additional information. Some things like severe vision problems you just cannot get around for an approval, but I am not sure what all those specific items are.

There are racers who have had serious injuries, diabetes, heart attacks, etc. that are cleared to race with the proper care and background checks.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:39 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are on blood thinners and have a crash that results in physical injury, your chances of bleeding out are significant. With that said, I continued to run HPDEs after robotic heart surgery when I was on thinners and never gave it a second thought. That was before my two crashes. Now I realize how dangerous this sport can be and probably would not do that again. I think I would defer the DEs until after I was done with the thinners.

Here's a medical alert QR company: www.lookupsystems.com
They sell a service that provides medical QR stickers that goes on the side of your helmet and also a wallet card with a QR. It gives EMTs your detailed medical information that you've entered into the Lookup Systems database. The QR is labeled "I.C.E." and has the normal medical symbols beside it.

Of course, you have to wonder if the EMTs would even notice the QR and if they did, would they know what to do with it or even if they had a smart phone with the appropriate app to read it....

Jim
Old 06-27-2014, 12:41 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a heart attack in 2000. I participated in HPDE and TT until last year. Until last year, I wasn't taking blood thinners. I also was up front with my cardiologist and general MD. I did a stress test every year for my own peace of mind.

In 2013, my old stent failed. A new generation type was implanted, fortunately before I had a heart attack. I caught it in time. The new stent required antiplatelet medication. It was a game changer. I gave up the sport sadly.

So for you in the NASA SE region...now you know why I retired. My cardiologist strongly supported this decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Who has had a heart "event" and still drives?

Quick Reply: Who has had a heart "event" and still drives?