Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racetech 4000W in c6z ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Racetech 4000W in c6z ?

Has anyone successfully managed to get a racetech 4000w to fit in a C6Z, i have a set and they don't seem to want to fit.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 PM
morris
Drifting

Yes someone has I managed to get it in the car. Me that's who it fits the car and my 6'4 285 pound frame fits in the seat.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Yes someone has I managed to get it in the car. Me that's who it fits the car and my 6'4 285 pound frame fits in the seat.
Hey Morris, just noticed your thread. In regards to the seats I have no experience with the 4000W's but I know the 4009w's fit. I'm considering making my car a dedicated track car and pulling the Carvagio's out and installing race buckets, what led you to choose the 4000's over the 4009's? Also what are your thoughts on fit and seat comfort now that you got them in and what did you use to mount them (and did you have to do anything special to get them to fit)?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:26 PM
morris
Drifting

Yea Ron it didn't go down easy that's for sure. I wound up with the 4000W because of the dimensions and a recommendation from Mark at OG Racing. They sent me the Sparco EVo2 and I just couldn't fit in the seat, so based upon the shortcomings with that seat Mark took back the EVO2 and recommended the 4000W. I have a long torso the 4000W back harness openings are a few inches higher than the 4009W even still it is slightly below my shoulders, the 4009W would have been too low. Also since my legs are so long I need to have the front of the seat flared a little bit so that my legs can fit on the outside of the steering wheel, the 4000W is 6" wider near at the thighs. At first I was very disappointed because it didn't look like I could get the 4000W to fit in the car but after a call to Mark he put me in touch with one of his coworkers Johnny who is a Ex MTI guy and he suggested that I remove the carpet against the trans tunnel, so I pulled it back and walah it went in over the floor studs. The Wing was banging up against the transmission tunnel and would not let the mounts fit over the studs. That carpet and insulation is about 2-3 inches thick.

Next problem was once I got the mounts in, I couldn't seem to adjust them so that the seat would go all the way back and sit against the bulkhead, but a quick call to Kevin at MTI resolved the issue, basically I had the rails put together backwards, once I resolved that the seat was able to be adjusted all the way back, but then the angle was wrong, the front of the seat was to high which put my head way back so that the helmet was banging up against the halo, which left me with even less headroom than the stock seats, in fact my head had to lean to the side to even sit in the car. So we cut the front mounts down a bit to make them shorter so I could use one of the lower holes and now it seems to be okay. With all that said I don't think I have any more headroom than the stock seats now, I may even have slightly less but at least I will not be sliding around the car in corners and I am safer with the 6 point harness. Now that I am driving so much faster safety has become the primary consideration for me. I may take out the headliner to gain the extra inch or two which should make it perfect with a helmet, but I don't want to turn the car in to a track only car and start gutting it, I will have to see what it looks like.

Today we are going to see how to actually tighten the bolts the seat is basically sitting on the rail bolts and the rear seat bolt that connect to the rail upper against the tunnel is going to be tough to reach, we may have to drill a small hole in the tunnel so that we can insert an allen wrench from under the car to tighten the side mount bolt.

I have a Brey Krause harness bar that I hope to get in today and a sub belt mount that goes under the seat from Dan at vetteworks along with all the electronic gizmos to fool the air bag sensors and what not.

Last edited by morris; 07-10-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:54 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hummm been looking at those seats for a bit. Subscribing
Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Werks
Drifting

Thanks for the info Morris. It's amazing how much trouble it seems to be just to get a set of race seats in these cars lol!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:59 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Some seats are easy and some not so much.

Am a fan of the MTI brackets, would love to see photos.

With mine I use a swivel socket to put nuts on extension studs on aft inboard studs. some people cut a hole in the seat not the tunnel.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 07-12-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:33 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

So do we get to see some pics sometime soon?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:15 PM
morris
Drifting

sure still working on the install but I will grab some on Monday, trying to get ready for Track Attack
Old 07-12-2014, 08:13 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

sure still working on the install but I will grab some on Monday, trying to get ready for Track Attack
Thats ok Morris. The 4009w is the next mod after my car is back together. I am about to upgrade to a TR6060 in my 06 Z
Old 07-13-2014, 02:46 AM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by smellya
Thats ok Morris. The 4009w is the next mod after my car is back together. I am about to upgrade to a TR6060 in my 06 Z
4009W's are great, you are going to like those. In regards to the TR6060 are you going to go with the ZR1 close gear ratios? I think that will be the trick set up for you, something to consider??
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 PM
morris
Drifting

This thing is a nightmare, I would rather install coilovers, sway bars, Brake kit and side skirts and a splitter all over again rather than do this job.

The issue is that I need every last bit of legroom and head room that I can get out of the mounts and seat and in short it isn't easy.

First photo shows the sub and lap belt mount, looks great goes in easy right, not so much. Now I need my seat so low that it hits the eye bolts for the sub belt and prevents the seat from going all the way back it takes up 2-4 inches easily. Solution Dan at vetteworks was kind enough to not only take my call on Sunday but he is going to send me a replacement for the eyebolts that will let the belts just bolt in to the same holes reducing or eliminating the eyebolt issue.

Brey Krause Harness bar went in pretty easy.

Third photo that zinc colored bolt in the slider on the rear, while there is only one shown in this photo two actually go there, the problem is that the bolt head on the other side hits the lowest part of the seat preventing me from getting the vertical mount to fit flush against the seat or even letting me get a wrench in there to tighten it. The only solution I can come up with is to drill a small hole through the seat that will allow the bolt head to not push up against the seat bottom.

Then I have the hard part of reaching the rear bolts on the side near the trans tunnel, but I have a few ideas to get that corner dealt with.

The vetteworks harness and all the little gadgets that plug into it went in without a hitch. It sucks that what I was expecting to be a pretty simple and straight forward job is presenting as such a PITA
Attached Images    
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 PM
morris
Drifting

Did I mention its a 100 freaking degrees every day????
Old 07-13-2014, 11:44 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Did I mention its a 100 freaking degrees every day????
I am not looking forward to this. This maybe become a fall project for me. lol. good luck finishing this.

Ron thanks for making me think about something else. It took me almost 3 weeks of debating in my head over doing the t56 or tr6060 tranny. I hope to see you out at the track soon...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 PM
morris
Drifting

Unless you need every last bit of legroom and headroom its a pretty straightforward install.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:53 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Unless you need every last bit of legroom and headroom its a pretty straightforward install.
That is something I need... more headroom then leg room....I am 6'2 with a long torso and 32 inseam and around 300lbs... I am jabba the hut build lol... jk....
Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 PM
morris
Drifting

I'm 6'4" until recently 290 ish with a 36" inseam, so I feel your pain. I'm down to 275 this month. I couldn't stomach another potbelly photo at Track attack

Get notified of new replies

To Racetech 4000W in c6z ?

Quick Reply: Racetech 4000W in c6z ?