Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 track car prep

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Monaco335
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C7 track car prep

Hey all,

So coming from the bmw world I'm quite new to vettes. I'm prepping the car for some open track days and could use your advice.

Oil: 5w50 oil change

Pads: Carbotech x10 front x8 rear on order

Brake Fluid: Castrol SRF (although I heard bleeding the brakes require more than just the caliper bleed nipples. ie other locations?). I used to user ATE superblue but they no longer sell blue ??

Wheels/Tires: This is where I need your help. I want to save the z51 wheels and pricey Michelins for the street and use a track wheel/tire setup. My skill level isn't really at r compound yet since I still like to hear the squeal so something like Hankook RS3's would be perfect. Are there any recommended cheap wheels in 18 that would fit the c7 z51?

Does anyone know if changing diff fluid is really needed?

Is there anything else I am missing for the vette?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Great info here for all Corvettes as the same engineers or beancounters did them all.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 07-08-2014, 05:23 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by spiike32
Hey all,

So coming from the bmw world I'm quite new to vettes. I'm prepping the car for some open track days and could use your advice.

Oil: 5w50 oil change

Pads: Carbotech x10 front x8 rear on order

Brake Fluid: Castrol SRF (although I heard bleeding the brakes require more than just the caliper bleed nipples. ie other locations?). I used to user ATE superblue but they no longer sell blue ??

Wheels/Tires: This is where I need your help. I want to save the z51 wheels and pricey Michelins for the street and use a track wheel/tire setup. My skill level isn't really at r compound yet since I still like to hear the squeal so something like Hankook RS3's would be perfect. Are there any recommended cheap wheels in 18 that would fit the c7 z51?

Does anyone know if changing diff fluid is really needed?

Is there anything else I am missing for the vette?

Thanks in advance!
for wheels check with forum vendor House of Wheels.
Bob should be able to help (if any one can)
Give him a call as that is the best way to get a hold of him
Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

This is from GM:

Track Events and Competitive Driving
Participating in track events or other competitive driving without following the instructions provided may affect the vehicle warranty. See the warranty manual before using the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving.
Be sure to follow all service procedures before driving the vehicle at track events or competitively.
Caution: If the vehicle is used for track events and competitive driving, the engine may use more oil than it would with normal use. Low oil levels can damage the engine. Check the oil level often and maintain the proper level.
Because the fluid temperatures may be higher, it is necessary to change the rear axle fluid after first time track or competitive driving event. After first.
Caution: Not changing the engine oil to 15W-50 may cause engine damage. Engine oil must be changed to 15W-50 synthetic. See.
Z51 Only: Check the oil level often during track events and competitive driving and keep the level at or near 0.5 qt (0.5 L) above the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick. After the competitive driving, remove excess oil so that the level on the dipstick is not above the upper mark that shows the proper operating range.
Except Z51: Additional oil fill above the upper mark on the dipstick is not recommended for track events or other competitive driving. Check the oil level often during racing or other competitive driving and keep the level at or near the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick. After the competitive driving, remove excess oil so that the level on the dipstick is not above the upper mark that shows the proper operating range.
Replace existing brake fluid with a qualified high performance brake fluid from a sealed container. Brake fluid with a dry boiling point >279°C (534°F) is qualified. If high performance brake fluid is used, replace it with GM approved brake fluid before driving on public roads. If high performance brake fluid is in the vehicle and the age of the brake fluid is over a month old or unknown, replace the brake fluid before track events and competitive driving. Do not use silicone or DOT-5 brake fluids.
Z51 Only: Limit vehicle load to the driver only, with no other cargo; inflate tires to 180 kPa (26 psi); and drive at a maximum speed of 280 km/h (174 mph).
If equipped with the Z51 package, the racing and competitive driving wheel alignment settings should be set as follows:
Caution: Using these wheel alignment settings may cause excessive tire wear. Only use these wheel alignment settings for racing or competitive driving. Excessive tire wear is not covered under the vehicle warranty.
Alignment should only be done by adjusting the lower control arm cam bolts and not by removing the washers between the upper control arms and frame.
FRONT (per corner)
• Caster: +7.0 degrees
• Camber: -2.0 degrees
• Toe: 0.05 degrees toe in
REAR (per corner)
• Caster: 0 degrees
• Camber: -1.7 degrees
• Toe: 0.05 degrees toe in
Thrust Angle: 0 degrees
Because the fluid temperatures may be higher, it is necessary to change the rear axle fluid every 24 hours of track events or competitive driving.
Caution: During a first time track or racing event, high rear axle temperatures can occur. Damage could be caused to the rear axle and would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Do not drive as long or as fast the first time the vehicle is driven on the track or raced.
If reduced performance is experienced during track events or competitive driving, turning off the A/C will help to improve engine performance.
Maintain a mixture of 40% DEX-COOL coolant and 60% clean, drinkable water to optimize engine performance.
The front license bracket or aero panel should be removed for track events and competitive driving to improve engine performance.
Caution: Do not leave rotor cooling rings installed after a track event, as this can cause corrosion with long-term use. Rotor cooling rings are for track use only. Track driving without the rotor cooling rings may result in brake pedal fade.
Installation:
1. Remove the front wheels.
2. Cut three 150 mm (6 in) lengths of safety wire specified to T304 Stainless Steel, 0.041 in nominal diameter, not included.
3. Form each into a U shape with a 20 mm (0.75 in) flat area in the center of the wire.
4. Place the rotor ring in the gap between the rotor brake plate and rotor hat, with the holes on each side of the rotor spoke on the outboard side of the rotor.

5. Place the U-shaped wire through the holes in the rotor cooling ring.
6. Bring the ends of the wire tight around the corresponding rotor spoke.
7. Twist the safety wire into six to eight twists per inch.
8. Bend the twisted wire so it is flush with the inside of the rotor ring to prevent contact with the caliper or brake hoses.
9. Verify that the rotor rings and safety wire do not contact any other components.
10. Reinstall the wheel using the specific lug nut torque..
If additional brake cooling is required, the grille mesh in the lower corners of the front grille in front of the brake duct can be removed. This is not reversible, and a replacement grille will not be covered by the warranty. If this is done, it is recommended that the gap between the fascia and the cooling duct be taped over.
New brake pads must be burnished before racing or other competitive driving.
Caution: The brake burnish procedure is specific to the Z51 brake package and should not be run on other models as damage may result.
Caution: The new vehicle break-in period should be completed before performing the brake burnish procedure, otherwise damage may occur to the powertrain/engine..
When this procedure is performed as instructed, it will not damage the brakes. The brake pads will smoke and produce an odor. The braking force and pedal travel may increase. After the procedure, the brake pads may appear white at the rotor contact.
Perform this procedure only on dry pavement and in a safe manner and in compliance with all local and state ordinances/laws regarding motor vehicle operation.
Caution: Brake pedal fade will occur during any track burnish procedure and can cause brake pedal travel and force to increase. This could extend stopping distance until the brakes are fully burnished.
1. Apply the brakes 25 times starting at 100 km/h (60 mph) to 50 km/h (30 mph) while decelerating at 0.4 g. This is a medium brake application. Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between applying the brakes. This first step may be skipped if there are more than 320 km (200 mi) on the brake pads.
2. Repeatedly apply the brakes from 100 km/h (60 mph) to 25 km/h (15 mph) while decelerating at 0.8 g. This is a hard brake application, without activating the Antilock Brake System (ABS). Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between stops. Repeat until the brake pedal travel starts to increase. Depending on conditions, this should take no longer than 25 brake applications.
3. Cool down: Drive at 100 km/h (60 mph) for approximately 15 km (10 mi) without using the brakes.
4. Apply the brakes 25 times from 100 km/h (60 mph) to 50 km/h (30 mph) while decelerating at 0.4 g. This is a medium brake application. Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between applications.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two outside lower air dams are being trimmed at the supplier to increase the air flow under the vehicle.
Recommendation/Instructions
DO NOT replace the air dam as the parts in CCA inventory are the same non-trimmed parts as what is installed on their earlier production vehicle.

If a customer is using their vehicle in a competitive nature and needs additional brake cooling, please use the graphic above and the following referenced dimensions to trim their existing air dams. The straight cut on the top of the air dam should be 15 mm (0.590 in) (1) from the edge of the hole, and the angled cut should be from the end of the straight cut to 215.0 mm (8.465 in) (2) from the end of the air dam.
Additionally, a customer who purchases a replacement air dam will receive the longer piece and it will need to be trimmed to match the part that is on the vehicle.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 track car prep

Quick Reply: C7 track car prep