Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left foot braking and pedal placement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:17 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Left foot braking and pedal placement.

Doing a HPDE at Mid Ohio yesterday (first time on that track) I was braking way too early on the long straights. I realize it takes time to get my confidence up; but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I have a problem with my right foot wanting to slide off the brake pedal (down to the right) during heavy fast pedal application. I've done it during auto-x and the potential for a Oh **** moment heading toward China Beach at 140 is unconsciously holding me back. Going from a HP+ level pad to a DTC 70 pad that requires less brake pressure is one probable solution, but I thought of a few others as well.

Heel-toe down through every gear isn't going to happen with my shoe size and other physical limitations, so that's not a strong factor for me. Rev matching mid corner is workable though. High brake pedal height in relation to gas pedal height might be fixed with a thicker gas pedal to equalize the height for better side-to-side foot movement. I could (and should) go left food braking, but present brake pedal location is too far to the right and my crotch belt really digs in when tried that approach yesterday. Looking at Trackbosses "automatic" brake pedal extension to the left and possibly tweaking the clutch pedal further left too might help me adapt to left foot braking more quickly. I do drive my auto trans daily driver like that.

Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 PM
jtmck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by briannutter1
Doing a HPDE at Mid Ohio yesterday (first time on that track) I was braking way too early on the long straights. I realize it takes time to get my confidence up; but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I have a problem with my right foot wanting to slide off the brake pedal (down to the right) during heavy fast pedal application. I've done it during auto-x and the potential for a Oh **** moment heading toward China Beach at 140 is unconsciously holding me back. Going from a HP+ level pad to a DTC 70 pad that requires less brake pressure is one probable solution, but I thought of a few others as well.

Heel-toe down through every gear isn't going to happen with my shoe size and other physical limitations, so that's not a strong factor for me. Rev matching mid corner is workable though. High brake pedal height in relation to gas pedal height might be fixed with a thicker gas pedal to equalize the height for better side-to-side foot movement. I could (and should) go left food braking, but present brake pedal location is too far to the right and my crotch belt really digs in when tried that approach yesterday. Looking at Trackbosses "automatic" brake pedal extension to the left and possibly tweaking the clutch pedal further left too might help me adapt to left foot braking more quickly. I do drive my auto trans daily driver like that.

Thoughts?
First I would fix the crotch belt.

There is plenty of room between the brake and clutch pedal for left foot braking.
The height of brake to gas pedal does not matter as you only use the right foot for the gas.
When you release the brake pedal going into the corner, the left foot moves over to work the clutch for the shift.

Some may disagree

Jim M.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:40 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmck
First I would fix the crotch belt.

There is plenty of room between the brake and clutch pedal for left foot braking.
The height of brake to gas pedal does not matter as you only use the right foot for the gas.
When you release the brake pedal going into the corner, the left foot moves over to work the clutch for the shift.

Some may disagree

Jim M.
Hey Jim! Yeah, I'll fix the belt either way

Get notified of new replies

To Left foot braking and pedal placement.

Quick Reply: Left foot braking and pedal placement.