Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Days with a C6 Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM
sportbikes
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Days with a C6 Automatic?

I was hoping to do some track days and was told that a stock (2012) C6 with an automatic would not do well here is SoCal at a track day. They will overheat quickly, especially if on a tight course due to the shifting requirements.

Can anyone tell share their experience with an Auto on the track or tell me if this is the case or what would be required to get the C6 capable of handling a track day in terms of heat management?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sportbikes
I was hoping to do some track days and was told that a stock (2012) C6 with an automatic would not do well here is SoCal at a track day. They will overheat quickly, especially if on a tight course due to the shifting requirements.

Can anyone tell share their experience with an Auto on the track or tell me if this is the case or what would be required to get the C6 capable of handling a track day in terms of heat management?
ok, here is what you need
1 the biggest Trans cooler you can fit in ahead of the radiator.
2 if your a beginner that is it
3 if not.................
4. an engine oil cooler (Z06 lines and cooler work well) the next step would be a bigger radiator Dewitts (forum vendor) has one with EOC and a bigger trans cooler (that is what I use) along with the one in front of the AC condensor (in front of the radiator)
Brake cooling ducts and Spindle holders for them also
but the big thing is the trans cooler before any track time
Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sportbikes

I have an 03 Coupe (heavily modified, H/C etc.) I had an aftermarket cooler (25-plate Setrab). It was fine when I first started to do track events. As I got better, the temps started to soar. Even with the external cooler I was still approaching 230 -240 trans fluid temp by the third session of the day. The PCM was shutting me down during my third run ("TRANS TEMP HIGH"). It stayed in OD and would not let me downshift manually.

Personally, I got tired of adding "Band-Aids" to try to keep it cool. I converted my A4 to an MN12 in January.

That's my story.

Last edited by Bluefire; 07-16-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I have an 03 Coupe (heavily modified, H/C etc.) I had an aftermarket cooler (25-plate Setrab). It was fine when I first started to do track events. As I got better, the temps started to soar. Even with the external cooler I was still approaching 230 -240 trans fluid temp by the third session of the day. The PCM was shutting me down during my third run ("TRANS TEMP HIGH"). It stayed in OD and would not let me downshift manually.

Personally, I got tired of adding "Band-Aids" to try to keep it cool. I converted my A4 to an MN12 in January.

That's my story.
An A4 really isn't great, no paddle shifters so downshifts are at the whim of the car
you really need to be able to control that!
as for your 25 plate........... a 75 would be more like it
however if you want or need an automatic enough cooling can be had
Old 07-16-2014, 03:59 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

At some point you'll want more cooling as has been suggested. But, go out and run the car and see how it reacts. Don't think you must have all the add-ons before you drive a track day. Don't push too hard or get stupid and you'll be fine.

--Dan
Old 07-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
An A4 really isn't great, no paddle shifters so downshifts are at the whim of the car
you really need to be able to control that!
as for your 25 plate........... a 75 would be more like it
however if you want or need an automatic enough cooling can be had
I was able to manually D/S just fine... until it got hot and shutdown.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:36 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Go out and try, see how it works for you.

There are guys here in Florida that run the snot out of theirs and don't have any problems.

I almost killed mine and gave up.

Depends on the driver and the track.

Just so you know, an A6 auto is easier to go faster on track than an MN6.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:51 PM
sportbikes
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks....

I guess the new 8 speed "Track Certified" auto in a 2015 Z06 would solve the issue

In the meantime was getting a stick, but i drove the paddles and thought it would be so much easier for street driving in the SoCal traffic.... I did a few laps out at Willow in my GS, while I was at a track school (using their car), and in 6 laps my water was at 235 and my oil shot shot 285... when I saw those, I pitted and jumped in the school car to finish, and never looked at trans temps, but had no warnings. Ambient temp was hovering around 100.

I would like to track the car on occasion, and plan on water wetter and maybe a thicker Mobil One... and now add the trans cooler. I hoping to minimize the expenses until I plan on a more steady track regiment.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:00 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sportbikes I have a 2007 C6 A6 base coupe with 77K and 20 HPDE track days. I've only had one trans flush done around the 35k mark.

Your car should have a trans cooler. This weekend at VIR with lows 90's at the track my trans temp was 240-250. The killer is my engine oil temp running at 280-300. Car has no oil cooler. I'm running 50W oil now for HPDE events.

Hope this link will work. Video of last weekend at VIR.

Last edited by V4kerker; 07-16-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 PM
sportbikes
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by V4kerker
Sportbikes I have a 2007 C6 A6 base coupe with 77K and 20 HPDE track days. I've only had one trans flush done around the 35k mark.

Your car should have a trans cooler. This weekend at VIR with lows 90's at the track my trans temp was 240-250. The killer is my engine oil temp running at 280-300. Car has no oil cooler. I'm running 50W oil now for HPDE events.

here - hit reply and look at the code to see how to put the video in
Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 PM
sportbikes
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

V4 - thanks for the info and the video. So you experience the same issue with oil temp. At least i know it is doable... and i don't have to run out and get a manual trans, or the new Z06, to do some track time. I was hoping that would be my excuse to order a Z06...

I just noticed that VIR is a much less taxing on the trans then Street of Willow... that might be to my disadvantage....

In case you haven't noticed, I'm trying to justify the new purchase

Last edited by sportbikes; 07-16-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Sportbikes by all means upgrade to a manual Z06 or the 2015 z06 auto if your budget allows I would but I'm on a budget and to hip implants

I run Summit Point Main mostly and I've run at NJMP-Lighten and Thunderbolt once.

I spend my money on seat time and motel rooms

Thanks for posting the video.

Last edited by V4kerker; 07-16-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

if you have issues with a manual (but can afford to upgrade), you could always get a Z06, then install sequential gearbox (20 to 30k), or for about 12000 bucks just change the gearset to a dog setup, then get a mastershift system (either bump shifter or paddles)...

http://mastershift.com/new-street-manual.html

http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/page.asp?productid=107

Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

My $0.02 - I instructed out at VIR a few years ago and my student had the c6 auto with paddle shifter and NO trans cooler.
In the afternoon - 2 laps and the trans would overheat and go into a different mode.
It was a little hairy going into south bend and having the car SHIFT in the middle of the turn.

So anyone that is gonna drive an auto on the track - get the best trans cooler you can find with plenty of air flow. And take a lap or two easy if the sessions are long.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 AM
sleeperstyle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trackdaze VIR 7 13 2014 Blue Group 4th session - YouTube
funny i was going to mention your car... i am the guy that was sitting next to you at summit main not too long ago. OP this car did good with the shifting, and v4kerker was not exactly taking it easy (but also not beating the **** out of it).

a trans cooler isn't too hard to install, easier than an oil cooler and it is never a bad idea for auto guys.

so yeah a c6 auto is fine for hpde, monitor trans temps
Old 07-17-2014, 11:32 AM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

With a Dewitts and dual fans installed I'm now at 244 oil, 190 coolant, and 216 trans temperatures driving it hard for 20 min.

Previously, Oil temps were hitting 290+ (309 once when not paying attention...) in less than 10 min previously.

A good tranny tune will help shifting a lot.

Delayed downshifts mid corner are always a risk so chose you shift points accordingly.

Laps using only 4/5 gear are good for focusing on compressing breaking zones and improving corner exit speeds, sort of Miata mode.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Your A-6 should hold up OK if you are on street tires and the engine is stock. I run my 12 GS A6 here in Florida (Sebring, Homestead, PBIR), if I don't use 2nd gear often temps will stay under 250. I changed trans fluid to Mobil 1 ATF as it has higher temp rating than stock GM ATF. I have more trouble with oil temps, I use Mobil 1 15W50 for HPDE. Have Royal Purple in rear diff.
I like A6, computer is much faster than me!

Get notified of new replies

To Track Days with a C6 Automatic?

Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Forgot to mention, I have wrapped the exhaust where is travels past transmission pan and where trans lines are close to cat converter.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
ok, here is what you need
1 the biggest Trans cooler you can fit in ahead of the radiator.
2 if your a beginner that is it
3 if not.................
4. an engine oil cooler (Z06 lines and cooler work well) the next step would be a bigger radiator Dewitts (forum vendor) has one with EOC and a bigger trans cooler (that is what I use) along with the one in front of the AC condensor (in front of the radiator)
Brake cooling ducts and Spindle holders for them also
but the big thing is the trans cooler before any track time
This

Tranny cooler first then Dewitt's or Ron Davis radiator with integrated oil cooler
Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 PM
383LPE
Drifting

if you plan on doing de events I would trade for a manual or buy something with the pdk dual clutch trannies. you'll save money in the long run.

I ate an auto tranny within 5 south Texas events back in the day...

Quick Reply: Track Days with a C6 Automatic?