Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM Motorsports Park: Guardrails

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:52 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NCM Motorsports Park: Guardrails

Was driving thru Bowling Green today on I-65, looked over at the new track construction site, and saw a lot of shiny new guardrails.

I don't like guardrails.

Any photos from the last week or two? Was thinking about signing up for an event, but not if there are a lot of guardrail close to the track.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Not much into guardrails myself but I believe a closer look will reveal that the use of the guardrails are in locations of the track that aren't that critical as far as speed. Considering the overall size of the track there probably isn't a great percentage of them. There does appear to be much open area. A lot, and I do mean a lot, of professionals had input into the design. I have a few events planned there this year so I am going to reserve judgment until I actually drive it.

Mark, if you are, indeed, thinking of signing up for an event you might ought to go ahead soon. It is my understanding that the 10/10ths Motorsports event this Oct. filled up with 160 (180?) drivers within the first 10hrs.

Actually, 163 drivers:

http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com/ncm-roster.html

Last edited by SouthernSon; 07-20-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arte, thanks for the heads up on scheduling but I was looking at something further out.

You can see what I saw in a bit better in person at the official webcam page (2nd cam): http://www.motorsportspark.org/facility/webcams/
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Guardrails aren't that big of a deal. I hear a lot of people complain about the guardrails at the Glen but there is only one place where the track narrows down to the point the guardrails get all that close to the track and that is as you go up through the esses and that feels worse since the hill obscures what is happening ahead of you. In the areas where there are concerns with a car going off track there are huge run off areas with most of them being paved so the car doesn't get buried in gravel or trip and roll while going sideways through the runoff.

If you don't want to become friends with the blue walls just drive properly.

Bill
Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Guardrails aren't that big of a deal.
Agreed.

After some recent events involving cars and trees, you'll want the guardrails at those spots.

Get notified of new replies

To NCM Motorsports Park: Guardrails

Quick Reply: NCM Motorsports Park: Guardrails