Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructors have to pay..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:20 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default Instructors have to pay..

I noticed that at least 2 track promoters are now charging instructors a fee to work the event. How many more and who might they be? I may see my instructing days come to an end.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I noticed that at least 2 track promoters are now charging instructors a fee to work the event. How many more and who might they be? I may see my instructing days come to an end.
+1, That's ridiculous .

Hopefully they will run out of instructors quickly.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
+1, That's ridiculous .

Hopefully they will run out of instructors quickly.

all that work and pay them ?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Agreed with the OP. I haven't been instructing long, but it's a lot of work... Especially with a student who's ego is larger than their ability.

Driving clubs should understand that the instructors are an essential part of their business plan. Free track time is about the only perk that comes with instructing - taking that away could interrupt a perfectly running business plan.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I won't run with a group that charges instructors.

They are shooting themselves in the foot and too dumb to know it.

I know Rezoom Motorsports does, I am done running with them.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-20-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:07 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

One of the reasons I'm not instructing next weekend. The organizer wanted $250!!!!!
For Atlanta Motor Speedway!!!
I've pretty much settled on groups that don't charge instructors to instruct.

When the Time Trial car is ready I won't mind $20 for instructing and time trials. I'm not going to pay to just instruct.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I suspect the sentiments expressed here by you guys are the same throughout the hobby. I suppose the more experienced the instructor, the less likely they are to pay. In the end it will be the novices that suffer.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still thought nasa's $20 fee was a bit odd. Seems like a chip in the bucket considering how much people are paying for the weekend. But its $20 not too big a deal. But making my weekend center around a student and then trying to fit my track time in (forget it if something on my car goes wrong and have to fix it). And then only getting compensated about $50-$100 worth is completely rediculous.

The hazard alone isnt worth that. You want me to risk my life and give you money. Thats borderline de-valuing human life...

Can everyone be more specific on the organizations that are charging so I can make sure everyone in my circle never runs with them.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
......Can everyone be more specific on the organizations that are charging so I can make sure everyone in my circle never runs with them.
Asphalt Ventures charges instructors if you take only one student.
Bluegrass BMW charges instructors
Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85

all that work and pay them ?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Give it time and the problem ought to fix itself. That or the quality of instructors will plummet as the grasp for anyone who will put up with that.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Why would you pay full or neat full price AND instruct? Ever? I can understand a nominal fee. But unless it's a friend, I wouldn't even consider signing up as an instructor.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Asphalt Ventures charges instructors if you take only one student.
Bluegrass BMW charges instructors
Trackdaze charges $245 if you only take one student vs. $350 for o students.

I used to run a lot with Trackdaze and take two students but have cut back substantially.

Pay to instruct? No. Take two students and run for free? Depends.

Jim
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Just track it charges full boat to instructors.

NASA charges $20 - used to include Saturday nite dinner. I havent instructed for them in a while so I'm not sure if this is still the case. IIRC the "fee" is to cover some incidentals and incentivise instructors to show up.

Now HOD has a good deal, one time instructor fee (for your shirt). Then at each event they have a catered lunch for all attendees. At AMP the caterer has an AWESOME BBQ
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Trackdaze charges $245 if you only take one student vs. $350 for o students.
This is the local group I was thinking about as well. Fun group, but it's a tough deal for instructors.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

May be time to start an organization of instructors across the land that coach for a fee and will meet clients at the track event of their choice. Or, maybe simply reorganize the way instruction is given by having track events at the various tracks across the country specifically for instruction of novice groups only for a fee to be divided among the instructors. I think I see opportunity here.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,046 Posts

May be time to start an organization of instructors across the land that coach for a fee and will meet clients at the track event of their choice. Or, maybe simply reorganize the way instruction is given by having track events at the various tracks across the country specifically for instruction of novice groups only for a fee to be divided among the instructors. I think I see opportunity here.
It really varies by area of the country. Here in LA, I just instructed for a group and for every session I instructed they paid $40. A few sessions covers gas for my track time and to/from the track. The local BMW CCA doesn't pay per se, but does provide a hotel room at a reasonably nice hotel for tracks that require an overnight stay.

When I lived in Seattle, it was free track time but if there was travel involved each person was responsible for their hotel room.

When I lived in St. Louis, some of the clubs were just starting to charge a nominal fee on occasion. Student prices had been pushed about as far as possible but the clubs were still losing money or just barely breaking even.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 07-21-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Instructors have to pay..

Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
...... Student prices had been pushed about as far as possible but the clubs were still loosing money or just barely breaking even.
This was a point that I stated earlier, maybe another thread, that tracks may need to lower their prices to keep events ongoing all year or they might see their track rentals fall off to only a few weekends a year. On another note, novices can really benefit from simple, basic tracks where rentals aren't as high. Instructors could recuperate some of their expenses from these tracks and then pay their full run fee for fun on the bigger, open tracks. I guess we all need to think carefully about our expenses and time involved in order to get our full enjoyment from the sport. I can easily see a few thousand dollars difference in better enjoyment spent here or there through the year. Please don't get me started on the money I have wasted the last few years! Well, not wasted per se, but you know what I mean.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeremy and Eric are making good $$ at this and the instructor fee for one student has steadily escalated to the point that it is not worth the effort .. pay and drive and forget the instructing.

Dave at Mazda quit when he no longer could make 15-20K for a VIR weekend event when the attendance fell off because of the economy.

I instructed for 3 Porsche clubs and they historically charged instructors to keep the regular fees low (but we generally had one novice). If it was a less desirable track like VIR south they had a heck of a time getting instructors.

Possibly - just possibly - charging instructors $50 is reasonable to cover a shirt and a little more. But when you start "selling" students as in if you want 2 you pay "X" and if you only want one you pay "Y" then it does not settle well for me.

IMHO if you want to instruct then do it and take 2 students. If that does not work for your situation then don't instruct and pay your fee and enjoy the track event.

I think what we see now is the clubs want to make money.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM
smbstyle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chin Motorsports doesn't charge instructors.

Quick Reply: Instructors have to pay..