Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel and Tire combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM
MT99FRC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel and Tire combo

What's up guys,

I'm trying to get my feet wet stepping into the autocross and related events. My question is what is a good starter wheel and tire combination 18x10.5 c5z wheels or is there a slightly better option for a little more money.

Also interested in knowing options for brake cooling past the C5Z brake ducts and shocks vs coilovers.

Keep in mind this will never be a serious setup car will be used to commute 160 miles most weekends.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can't beat the 18x10.5's if you can find them. light and strong. search for quantum and ECS brake cooling solutions. too much on this forum already about those. Same for shocks, although if you are just getting started I would not plunge into coilovers. Invest in a good alignment, good tires and some safety gear and go drive the thing.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:14 PM
MT99FRC
Intermediate

Im seeing it isnt easy to find the c5z wheels think goodness I already have one set of 17/18 just need 2 more 18's.

I was given suggestion by a friend to use the Koni 3013 or the Bilstein DRM shocks.

Im not sure which way to go with tires 295-315's i know tire pressure and track surface will definitely vary from which tire to use. I was also given suggestion to use a 200TW tire did a little research on this but couldnt pull much up. what are some of the good tires people are using in todays HDPE and USCA events.

I will also need a good clutch and shifter do you like the MGW for shifter options and the McCloud RXT for clutch or what have you used and been succesful with.

And as far as brakes will just race pads be ok?

I will look into those ait ducting systems, do yout think the spindle cools hose would be necessary?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Tooley
Old 07-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

You can buy brand new 18s from forum vendor HOUSE OF WHEELS. They're about $250 each.

Another alternative is the TSW Nurburgring or Interlagos. A few different forum vendors sell them. They come in 18x10.5 and seem to clear big brake packages as well as or better than the Z06 18s.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 PM
MT99FRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scooter70
You can buy brand new 18s from forum vendor HOUSE OF WHEELS. They're about $250 each.

Another alternative is the TSW Nurburgring or Interlagos. A few different forum vendors sell them. They come in 18x10.5 and seem to clear big brake packages as well as or better than the Z06 18s.
I really like the look of the TSW Interlagos in some kinda black, i think it would look pretty killer on white FRC.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm not sure what starter wheels are. You want round wheels that don't flex a lot. You would be surprised how many aftermarket wheels aren't really round. Also, lot of the replica wheels appear to be cast. you might want to talk to the folks at CCW. They seem to be a popular wheel for the track.

Here's an article I wrote last year about wheels.

Richard Newton
Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by MT99FRC
Im seeing it isnt easy to find the c5z wheels think goodness I already have one set of 17/18 just need 2 more 18's.

I was given suggestion by a friend to use the Koni 3013 or the Bilstein DRM shocks.

Im not sure which way to go with tires 295-315's i know tire pressure and track surface will definitely vary from which tire to use. I was also given suggestion to use a 200TW tire did a little research on this but couldnt pull much up. what are some of the good tires people are using in todays HDPE and USCA events.

I will also need a good clutch and shifter do you like the MGW for shifter options and the McCloud RXT for clutch or what have you used and been succesful with.

And as far as brakes will just race pads be ok?

I will look into those ait ducting systems, do yout think the spindle cools hose would be necessary?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Tooley
Mike, as far as pads go. You will have some things to consider 1 is tires certain Race pads will over brake certain tires. 2 most race pads need heat to work properly. so,when your auto X you want a pad that is good from dead cold on a track event you want to build heat in the pad to get them up to optimum temperature. Below are some Carbotech compound description but, it all depends on tires and really are you going to be doing more auto x or track days.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're just doing autocross, you don't really need brake ducts in my opinion. I have 4 18x10.5 Z06 rears on my FRC and love it!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:46 PM
MT99FRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
If you're just doing autocross, you don't really need brake ducts in my opinion. I have 4 18x10.5 Z06 rears on my FRC and love it!
I know people run the rears up front but do you have any rubbing issues, ive read that people have a little rubbing at full lock.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

I know people run the rears up front but do you have any rubbing issues, ive read that people have a little rubbing at full lock.
That all depends on the tire. I have 285mm Dunlop Direzzas I run on the street, autocross, and track. No rubbing at lock.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 PM
MT99FRC
Intermediate

That all depends on the tire. I have 285mm Dunlop Direzzas I run on the street, autocross, and track. No rubbing at lock.
It seems everyone has a tire preference and size looks like everyone runs between 285-315 any one had rubbing issues with the 315?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

It seems everyone has a tire preference and size looks like everyone runs between 285-315 any one had rubbing issues with the 315?
Just a little background: A C5 can run in STU class in SCCA Solo with up to 285mm tires. That's why I run 285 Dunlop ZIIs. It's a fun class.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 PM
MT99FRC
Intermediate

Just a little background: A C5 can run in STU class in SCCA Solo with up to 285mm tires. That's why I run 285 Dunlop ZIIs. It's a fun class.
It looks to be a really good tire ive read quite a few post with guys running these tires.

And there not crazy expensive and if they have pretty good street life i will probably end up purchasing the tires.

Thanks for the help Ramo

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel and Tire combo

Quick Reply: Wheel and Tire combo