Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacer help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Default Wheel spacer help

Ok...

so normally I run a 295 A6 tire on stock C5Z front wheels on my car in SCCA solo ( stock class ), but these tires used are getting increasingly hard to find.

I was able to get a couple 315/35-17 A6s to run on but I'm concerned about rubbing issues.

So, I'm allowed to run a 1/4" spacer but do I NEED to? I'd rather not wait until I get to an event and find out the car won't run like that.

I'm guessing it will rub on full lock, but will it rub allot , all the time?

While I'm at it...as an added note, will the car be more unstable running a square setup ( tire wise ) for autocross? Should I get some 335's for the rear?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
Ok...

so normally I run a 295 A6 tire on stock C5Z front wheels on my car in SCCA solo ( stock class ), but these tires used are getting increasingly hard to find.

I was able to get a couple 315/35-17 A6s to run on but I'm concerned about rubbing issues.

So, I'm allowed to run a 1/4" spacer but do I NEED to? I'd rather not wait until I get to an event and find out the car won't run like that.

I'm guessing it will rub on full lock, but will it rub allot , all the time?

While I'm at it...as an added note, will the car be more unstable running a square setup ( tire wise ) for autocross? Should I get some 335's for the rear?

Thanks for the help.
IMO too much tire on a 9.5 rim. As for rub, how low are you? Stock height or lowered?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:19 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

In old T1 we ran C5's and A6's and the ccw 17x10 front and 17x11 rear running 315 square or 295/315 and that worked great for road racing. We all went to 18's when big brakes were allowed. No spacers on the ccw's were needed. You can also run rear 18" z06 wheels on front and 295 square, 315 square or 295/315 no spacers. There are many more used A6's available in 18". Phoenix may have them and john berget usually too.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Sorry it took so long to reply... I've been at the Wilmington Pro Solo.

1st.... there's quite a few of us that are running the 315 on the 9.5 wheel with no problems getting them on.

One of the local Ohio guys actually had this setup on his C5 and there was no spacer up front. He had to run a 1/8" spacer in the back for the 335 tire.

All the T1 talk and such doesn't apply to SCCA solo in the stock classes as we can't change wheel sizes, but CAN go with a 1/4" change in offset, which is why I was asking about if it was needed.

One of the reasons I'm going to try the 315 is that because all the T1 guys went to the 18" wheels up front, no one is running the 295-17 anymore and they are next to impossible to find used.

SO, I got a set from berget that I'll try next weekend and see how they work.

thanks guys
Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

why would you even want to? a 315 on a 9.5 just loads the sidewall, generates heat and will be a lot less precise. use a 275 and a softer compound

a hankook z214 is one thought, they come in both soft and mediums

if you're just doing autocross the worry about overheating a smaller tire is pretty much gone.

Last edited by racebum; 07-29-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

275 pushes way too bad, I've tried that before.

I'm willing to give up a little sharpness... for now. I've already done the research on the good and bad of this, but was just looking for some help on spacers, not the validity of the choice. I bought the tires as a stop gap and just wanted to make sure they weren't going to tear up the inner fender or something.

Anyway... thanks for the help. I'll be running both back to back next weekend and see what I like better.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel spacer help

Quick Reply: Wheel spacer help