Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi. My name is Ian, and I am an addict....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:05 PM
RFDrpm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hi. My name is Ian, and I am an addict....

I hope Im in the right group...

Did my first HPDE last weekend and all I can say is I am addicted.

Already prepping for Oct and Dec runs..

C5 Coupe M6. Pfadt C6 Johney O'Connell Suspension, VBP polybushing kit, Vararam, Corsa cat back, custom tune (350rwhp/350rwtq), Goodyear F1's, C6Z Shifter.

Ok, that said, I am looking at adding the harness bar and harnesses for next time out. I did not like fighting to stay in the seat. Anyone have a good or bad experience with any of the harnesses/harness bars in a C5? (Yes I have used the search function)

Tires???? In my 2nd of 8 sessions I found out very quickly that I had more speed than my tires could handle, and I constantly exceeded their grip capability in the brake zone. I wanna step up to a more aggressive tire combo, but I do not want to jump too high too fast. Im all about learning, but I want a tire that can handle more than the F1.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no come across anybody who has a complaint about any of the harness bars outs there. I believe there's a used Brey Krause bar currently up for sale on the forum; which is a very nice setup.

But when you add a harness you are going to want to upgrade your seat to something with proper openings for the shoulder belts. Fixed back being what will contain you the best.

Adding a racing seat and harness was one of the best things I ever did to my car. I'm using a Hard Bar harness bar, but you would have to hunt out a used one.

Tires, you could go on the cheaper side and grab some Nitto NT05s that have taken a lot of abuse around here. I have gone the route of Michelins and loved them: Pilot PS2s and Super Sports have treated me well.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM
RFDrpm
Pro

I was thinking of doing the racing seat as well. BUT.... My thought is: I have the sport seats with the opening under the headrest, so belts will go through. And... Wifie has given her blessing for me to buy a "track only" car, and maintain as much streetability in this one as possible.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Two questions:

1. Does your wife have a sister?

2. When will you be buying a track car?

Buying a car that is already set up will save you lots of time and tons of money in the long run. There a few for sale on this forum ranging from $8k all the way to $60k. I think that a well sorted out C5Z for low/mid $20k would be a wise move.

Once you get faster and gain more experience, it would be wise to get a GTA or ASA race car. They are cheap, safe and easy to maintain. But, you will also need a trailer for it and something to tow it with. It is a slippery slope, my addict friend...
Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 PM
RFDrpm
Pro

Originally Posted by tytek
Two questions:

1. Does your wife have a sister?

2. When will you be buying a track car?

Buying a car that is already set up will save you lots of time and tons of money in the long run. There a few for sale on this forum ranging from $8k all the way to $60k. I think that a well sorted out C5Z for low/mid $20k would be a wise move.

Once you get faster and gain more experience, it would be wise to get a GTA or ASA race car. They are cheap, safe and easy to maintain. But, you will also need a trailer for it and something to tow it with. It is a slippery slope, my addict friend...
1: Yes, she has 2. Both they are both married, and neither are quite as understanding as my wife.

2: I plan on buying a track car in the next year or two. I wanna get A LOT more experience on the track before I go that route. I have looked at the C5's for sale on here, and I will most likely go that route... Possibly a C6..

Trailer shouldn't be a problem. Wifie asked for a toterhome, you know so she has somewhere to "Relax" at the track.....
Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't change anything other than consumables. You'll regret it after you get the real track car (then it's just sunk money and everything cool on the track is a PITA on the street). Pilot Super Sports are decent dual use tires, track pads (e.g., XP-10s or RP2s) for on track, swap back to street pads off track (e.g., Bobcats), and swap brake fluid (e.g., Motul 600) every event or 4 months. You will always be able to out brake, out turn, and out accelerate your tires. That's what makes it interesting. Going fast is all about learning how to keep your tires at the limit without braking them free. Your biggest bottleneck to faster lap times is experience. Spend the money on seat time and enjoy!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:51 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Cool tip on the seat belt, pull it all the way out and then let it back down. It'll lock, giving you more leverage in the corners.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 PM
RFDrpm
Pro

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Don't change anything other than consumables. You'll regret it after you get the real track car (then it's just sunk money and everything cool on the track is a PITA on the street). Pilot Super Sports are decent dual use tires, track pads (e.g., XP-10s or RP2s) for on track, swap back to street pads off track (e.g., Bobcats), and swap brake fluid (e.g., Motul 600) every event or 4 months. You will always be able to out brake, out turn, and out accelerate your tires. That's what makes it interesting. Going fast is all about learning how to keep your tires at the limit without braking them free. Your biggest bottleneck to faster lap times is experience. Spend the money on seat time and enjoy!
That is my opinion, Seat Time and more Seat Time... That's where I wanna spend money... I'd also like to not beat the CRAP outta myself every time I drive, I gotta get a harness in that thing....
Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

I did the harness first and then the seat. I found that the seat was a much bigger help. My back end still slid from side to side with just the harness, making me continue to use my knees to hold me in place, which was where I was taking the most punishment.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

That said, the racing seat with tall, hard sides totally made the car into a track car. Essentially undrivable on a daily basis. Have to be a gymnast to get in and out.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:39 PM
RFDrpm
Pro

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
That said, the racing seat with tall, hard sides totally made the car into a track car. Essentially undrivable on a daily basis. Have to be a gymnast to get in and out.
I guess its a good thing I drive it daily then huh? I work overseas and am only home 6 months a year. The Vette is my toy. She never drives it.

I came away with bruises on my knees from trying to hold myself in. Guess I am buying a seat or two....
Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

One lower cost route that you may want to explore is "Angel Pads", especially if just temporary until you get a track car. Never tried them, but some good reviews on the forum.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bridgestone RE-11 are good HPDE tire as well and a bit cheaper than Pilot SS, I am on my second set and like them. 180 tread wear rating.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

IMO a harness bar & race belts and a stock seat would be a major SUCK.

Even if you are going full track car in a yr or 2.

Fix the seats with some decent street/track seats (if there are any) and good belts.

You will post back and say thank you many times.

You know how many times my sucky stock seats have fallen back on the recline adjuster?

Too F&%$$^&ing many times.

Curse my stock seats.

There, said it & have a great weekend!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
IMO a harness bar & race belts and a stock seat would be a major SUCK.

Even if you are going full track car in a yr or 2.

Fix the seats with some decent street/track seats (if there are any) and good belts.

You will post back and say thank you many times.

You know how many times my sucky stock seats have fallen back on the recline adjuster?

Too F&%$$^&ing many times.

Curse my stock seats.

There, said it & have a great weekend!

Agreed.

There are plenty of guys who swap a fixed bucket seat as part of their pretrack prep. It's only 4 nuts and a the wiring.

If not look at the Corbeau A4
Old 07-26-2014, 02:17 PM
JUSTCRZN
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Ian one small thing to think about, is finding a seat that fits you and will fit into a C5. I almost bought a pair out of the area, but held off and sat in several at the next track event. Several did not work, but did find one that was a real good fit for me. I was able to find a real good used pair here on the forum that came with brackets out of a C5. I did add dual rail slider's to each so they are adjustable for getting in and out. After the season is over I will put the stock Z seats back in.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:45 PM
RFDrpm
Pro

Originally Posted by JUSTCRZN
Ian one small thing to think about, is finding a seat that fits you and will fit into a C5. I almost bought a pair out of the area, but held off and sat in several at the next track event. Several did not work, but did find one that was a real good fit for me. I was able to find a real good used pair here on the forum that came with brackets out of a C5. I did add dual rail slider's to each so they are adjustable for getting in and out. After the season is over I will put the stock Z seats back in.
I sat in some Cobra IMOLA PRO GT's. The fit was great, I'm Looking at the Cobra Suzuka Pro GT. They have almost identical dimensions, and I like the look of them.

Only problem I have with the Cobra's are that the matching Harness is not available in the US. All Cobra harnesses in the US are re-branded as Schroth, and are not available in the color I want.

Get notified of new replies

To Hi. My name is Ian, and I am an addict....

Old 07-26-2014, 07:22 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Originally Posted by RFDrpm
I sat in some Cobra IMOLA PRO GT's. The fit was great, I'm Looking at the Cobra Suzuka Pro GT. They have almost identical dimensions, and I like the look of them.

Only problem I have with the Cobra's are that the matching Harness is not available in the US. All Cobra harnesses in the US are re-branded as Schroth, and are not available in the color I want.
I went with the Cobra Suzuka pro (I think it is the GT, it's the model that is a bit wider than the standard). I'm not a tall guy (5-10) but to get the seat in the right position we had to do some custom fabrication (i.e., some cuts in plastic and metal and some relocating of items).
Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Good decision on looking into harnesses AND seats.

Originally Posted by RFDrpm
You do not need a specific brand of harnesses for those seats. G-Force, Sparco, Crow, etc should all work.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 PM
RFDrpm
Pro

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Good decision on looking into harnesses AND seats.

You do not need a specific brand of harnesses for those seats. G-Force, Sparco, Crow, etc should all work.
I know they dont have to have any specific harness. My point is that if I am going to drop 2K on seats and hardware, I would really like to have the matching belts.

Which I will. I work internationally, so I am having a co-worker from UK pick them up and bring them to me. They are FIA rated so its all good....

Quick Reply: Hi. My name is Ian, and I am an addict....