Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning imbedded brake dust off track calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default cleaning imbedded brake dust off track calipers

I know this might be a question for general or whatever but I don't think so. I have no problems cleaning brake dust off of a dd car. I can not get this racing pad material out of my c5 calipers. The normal stuff I use that works wonders on rims just wont do it to the heat soaked stuff. I tried a little mek but that I can tell is eating the powdercoating (even though it works).

I have this illusion this is a street/track car even though it sees <100 miles a year off track...
Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Blast it with Brake Cleaner from Autozone. If/when the paint comes off, repaint or order new calipers If not up for that, deal with dust on your calipers, it's a track car
Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 PM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I would get a quality wheel cleaner and soak the whole area then clean with the best brushes you can find to get in there.
Wheels off is obviously better.
I find brake cleaner takes the paint off Corvette calipers. It never did so on my Porsche but the paint on these calipers seems somewhat porous. It's like it holds brake dust.
I'm with you, just because I track the car doesn't mean it has to look like that.
These calipers just require a lot more effort to cleanup than some other calipers.
I use P21S. It will not damage the finish on your wheels and calipers. That said, you just have to work harder anyways because of the caliper finish.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:05 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Buy some stuff called IRON-X
Old 07-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,284 Likes on 929 Posts

Dust just means you actually drive the car instead of sit there and polish it all day and brag how fast other people can go in it.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:08 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

A brake company once told me "Dale Earnhardt has never complained about brake dust on his wheels."

Richard Newton
Old 07-26-2014, 11:31 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

sonax wheel cleaner does the same real good product and is loved by many detailers for cakes on brake dust

Get notified of new replies

To cleaning imbedded brake dust off track calipers

Quick Reply: cleaning imbedded brake dust off track calipers