Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill 5 mile Mega Course

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 AM
PipeDr
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thunderhill 5 mile Mega Course

Thunderhill last Friday. 5 Mile Mega course. Event put on by Hooked On Driving. Great course addition. Hot day, 100 degrees. HOD puts on great events. The 5 mile course will give you a workout.
See this link.
2000 C5 Corvette with Nitto NT01 tires, EBC brake pads, Slotted Rotors, Hotchkiss Sway Bars, QA1 Shocks. Old car but is pretty quick, too bad I'm not as quick.......
Santa Clara Corvettes member.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That was a great video - thanks for posting. I thought VIR Grand was long at 4+ miles - that configuration of Thunderhill is amazing !
Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

I started to watch your video in anticipation of listening to your Vette travel and you drive the Thunder Hill course. After about 1 minute and 30 seconds, I turned it off.

I know it's a matter of personal taste, but the music that accompanied the video is annoying and distracting.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Have to agree. I don't enjoy music with a track video. Would rather hear the performance of the car. Thanks for posting the vid. Watched without the sound.

Gene
Old 07-31-2014, 06:57 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like music either and it was supper annoying, but I'm betting it was because all you could hear was wind, not because he didn't like the sound of his car. Just mute it like I did.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
PipeDr
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
I don't like music either and it was supper annoying, but I'm betting it was because all you could hear was wind, not because he didn't like the sound of his car. Just mute it like I did.
That is exactly correct. Sorry about the music.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the video. That configuration looks like a wild ride!

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I thought VIR Grand was long at 4+ miles
Ha, I was thinking the same thing
Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Just a note, since you were running David Ray's Hooked On Driving.

David and another gentleman were the driving force behind the new track addition. It's been their game plan for many years.

He was (maybe still is) on the SCCA San Francisco Region Board of Directors and helped get the original track built.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I attended an event a couple of weeks ago and was able to see Bill Brinkop disappear in the distance every session. Here is a clip of him with the proper sound.

And here is another clip of me at about half speed of Bill.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have a lot of time on that track.....fuel issues on the last race there.....but the full five miles of T Hill was fun to race on and enjoyed it a lot!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:28 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow...I am going to have to put that one on the bucket list!! Beautiful backgrounds and a track with lots of run off if you get into trouble!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

that's a looooong track for sure!>. I thought WGI was a lot to remember.. Hell, it would take me the whole day to figure out where I am at on that track!... nice laps!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

A proper testament to Bill's ability and car set up.

Watch his hands - no corrections. Smooth, smooth.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 PM
l8te apx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice video...thanks for posting. (I like the music)Hooked on Driving has

4 more days on the 5 mile track scheduled for this year. Friday Sep 5, Saturday and Sunday Sep 27-28, and Friday Oct 24. Plus the Hooked on Corvettes day on on Thursday Oct 23 on the 3 mile track....register early for any of these as they usually sell out. Remember, if you are a novice driver you will have a personal driving coach included in your registration fee.......If you own a Corvette and and have not driven it on track yet.....take the step and you will wonder why you waited so long. The cars were built to run.

Bonus for the balance of 2014 is HOD will offer a chance at every event to drive a new C7 on the track to qualifying drivers.

www.hookedondriving.com
Old 08-04-2014, 09:28 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by l8te apx
4 more days on the 5 mile track scheduled for this year. Friday Sep 5, Saturday and Sunday Sep 27-28, and Friday Oct 24. Plus the Hooked on Corvettes day on on Thursday Oct 23 on the 3 mile track....register early for any of these as they usually sell out. Remember, if you are a novice driver you will have a personal driving coach included in your registration fee.......If you own a Corvette and and have not driven it on track yet.....take the step and you will wonder why you waited so long. The cars were built to run.

Bonus for the balance of 2014 is HOD will offer a chance at every event to drive a new C7 on the track to qualifying drivers.

www.hookedondriving.com
Have run with HOD over here on the East Coast, Great group to run with!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
Just a note, since you were running David Ray's Hooked On Driving.

David and another gentleman were the driving force behind the new track addition. It's been their game plan for many years.

He was (maybe still is) on the SCCA San Francisco Region Board of Directors and helped get the original track built.
The very very early seed money for the planning and the start of the permit process and land costs came from many SCCA San Francisco region members. My wife and myself were part of that process,, the region added a surcharge of $50 dollars for each race entry, or you could join in and send $5000 per person upfront and not pay the additional race entry surcharge. It was a battle with the state of California EPA. They want us to buy low emissions vechiles for the state to use to offset the emissions they said the track would add to the environment. At times early in the plan, it was not a given the track would be built.
ENJOY the track! and take some time to read the names on the bricks! these are the people that made it happen.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
I attended an event a couple of weeks ago and was able to see Bill Brinkop disappear in the distance every session. Here is a clip of him with the proper sound.
Both you and the OP look good out there! I enjoyed the new section and there's going to be a ton of time to find on that track as we continue to learn it.

A proper testament to Bill's ability and car set up.

Watch his hands - no corrections. Smooth, smooth.
Thanks coach. I think it was mostly due to me driving at 80% learning the track and trying to avoid the abs issues I've been plagued with all year. We are racing the 5 miles with Nasa at the end of August and I hope to have my brakes fixed and pick it back up to 9.9/10ths .

Get notified of new replies

To Thunderhill 5 mile Mega Course

Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer86
The very very early seed money for the planning and the start of the permit process and land costs came from many SCCA San Francisco region members. My wife and myself were part of that process,, the region added a surcharge of $50 dollars for each race entry, or you could join in and send $5000 per person upfront and not pay the additional race entry surcharge. It was a battle with the state of California EPA. They want us to buy low emissions vechiles for the state to use to offset the emissions they said the track would add to the environment. At times early in the plan, it was not a given the track would be built.
ENJOY the track! and take some time to read the names on the bricks! these are the people that made it happen.
Yep, paid many of those $50 fees.
Sure was worth it.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redtopz
Thanks coach. I think it was mostly due to me driving at 80% learning the track and trying to avoid the abs issues I've been plagued with all year. We are racing the 5 miles with Nasa at the end of August and I hope to have my brakes fixed and pick it back up to 9.9/10ths .
I knew you were taking it easy.

I smell a track record coming up in August.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:50 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, paid many of those $50 fees.
Sure was worth it.
....been there.....done that....

Quick Reply: Thunderhill 5 mile Mega Course