Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Little help with KONI settings, please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM
harleypower69
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A Little help with KONI settings, please?

I am hoping any members running the KONI Sport Shocks might be willing to share what settings you are using on your C6 with Z51?

I need to address front compression on dips in the road at speed.

Have used these in the past on other cars (street / track) at full firm front and 50% at rear. I would like to get better dialed in or have a user tested / proven starting point. I will be doing some autocross.
PM me if you would like to quietly help one owner sort out his car, at age 60 you won't see me competing against you .

Running 2011 C6 GS.

Sincere thanks,

Chris
Old 08-03-2014, 02:44 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

You might adjust according to whether the car is pushing or is loose. As far as compression, you may want different rate springs to address that issue and then work on the shocks for the above mentioned behavior.

I am running on my C5Z a 1050 front spring, 840 rear with Koni 3013's set at 8 or 9 firm front and only 1 or 2 clicks soft on rear. Works for the way I drive.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 08-03-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Koni sports are single adjustable shocks and the only adjustment is in rebound damping. If you are having a problem with compression damping you need a double adjustable shock.

That said, compression damping is related to spring rate and that shouldn't be that far off. I believe that the spring rates for the C6 Z51 aren't that different than the C5Z (which is what the shocks were developed for as I understand it).

Most folks running these on C5Z's are running somewhere "close to the middle of the adjustment" at both ends of the car.

With single adjustable shocks you don't have as much control as you do with double adjustable shocks, but generally you have enough to get the car properly balanced if the shocks are valved in compression for the car (as yours are).

Shocks only control transient cornering response, that is corner entry and corner exit. Mid corner response is controlled by sway bar balance, so if the car is pushing in mid-corner you need to adjust the bars.

The rules are pretty simple with single adjustable shocks.

Stiffening front rebound will increase oversteer on corner exit, and softening it will reduce oversteer on corner exit.

If the car is loose on turn in if you decrease the rear rebound that will reduce oversteer, if it is tight on corner entry add some rear rebound.

Hope that helps, it's pretty basic, you just need to go out and dial it in at an autocross where you can use all the cornering power that you have.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Yeah, like I said....
Old 08-11-2014, 01:46 PM
harleypower69
Advanced

You all have been of great help and I appreciate your making the time to respond.

Much Respect,

Chris
Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 PM
edwardo99
Advanced

Originally Posted by harleypower69
You all have been of great help and I appreciate your making the time to respond.

Much Respect,

Chris
I run those shocks on my C5 FRC for street, track and autocross. As Solofast said, the compression damping is set and it is very good.
For street I leave front and rear at 1 sweep from soft. Nice ride, maybe better than stock, good control. Really annoying to have lots of rebound damping on the street. At least on the roads in my area.
For speeds up to 110mph on the track I do 4 sweeps from soft front and rear. The car stays buttoned down without being over damped.
For autocross 6 sweeps from soft front, which is ⅔ to full stiff, and 2 sweeps from soft rear. Front needs more rebound for good transient response, rear needs to be soft to help power down coming off corners.
Good luck.

Last edited by edwardo99; 08-14-2014 at 11:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cjh4l22 (07-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To A Little help with KONI settings, please?

Quick Reply: A Little help with KONI settings, please?