Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picture tutorial on Installing Trackspec Motorsports C6 vented hood extractor louvers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 AM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by John@TrackSpec
We have used a jigsaw in the past and can tell you that a harbor freight 9.99$ cutoff wheel with a 5$ pack of thin cut metal blades cuts thru like butter! With that set up, the holes can be cut very quickly and straight.

I'm sure others have used a jigsaw or other methods but that's the most effective way we have found after doing tons of installs.

Any standard autozone or Home Depot matte black paint can be used to paint the edges. Not a necessary step, but as Matt and others have shown, it really cleans up the install for a factory finish.

Thank you all for your support!
So just to clarify you have had best experience with a basic Angle Grinder?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 AM
0John@TrackSpec
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes sir! Thin cut metal cutting wheels. We just use the 3/64" thick wheels from Harbor. Cuts clean, quick, and straight.

Originally Posted by dapopa9
So just to clarify you have had best experience with a basic Angle Grinder?
The following users liked this post:
CONE RACER (07-09-2016)
Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I used my dependable HF angle grinder with their cut off wheel. As the instructions say, it is best to cut no more than 1/8" outside the lines. I stayed inside, but had to do a lot of trimming and filing. I went ahead and spray painted mine, as it would be hard to do once installed. There was a lot of white showing from the cutting, so I wanted to cover that up. I also used my dremel and a drill to remove some of the underneath hood that would get in the way of installing the washer for the rivets. The rivet thing is really a 2 man job, or in my case, a one man/one 11 yr old daughter job. She is experienced in the rivet gun now! Good luck with it.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:04 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default vents

does anybody know how much do the center vents stick out into the engine bay - how deep they go into the engine...i have an eforce and i think they might hit the top cover of the SC..
Old 07-03-2016, 02:48 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jwebsta32
Finally got mine installed!

Nice!

Appear your louver positions differ from others posted...could you post under hood pictures to reveal your choice of louver locations? Are your locations suggested by TrackSpec?

Tia
Old 07-08-2016, 11:37 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed the Trackspec kit today. Nice product, well packaged, and instructions are easy to follow. Hood was off the car, but a friend of mine installed his with the hood on. One thing I did was to cover the hood first with some shelving liner. This made it much more comfortable with incidental contacts on the painted surface of the hood.

I located the louvers per the instructions. Pictures in this thread seem to show the louvers mounted in different locations, but the camera angle can make it look very different. You can see by the two pictures of mine taken from two different angles.

victorf (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 01:55 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by CONE RACER
Installed the Trackspec kit today. Nice product, well packaged, and instructions are easy to follow. Hood was off the car, but a friend of mine installed his with the hood on. One thing I did was to cover the hood first with some shelving liner. This made it much more comfortable with incidental contacts on the painted surface of the hood.

I located the louvers per the instructions. Pictures in this thread seem to show the louvers mounted in different locations, but the camera angle can make it look very different. You can see by the two pictures of mine taken from two different angles.

Nice job! Great idea on using wrap before hand! Seems method is evolving since OP's first attempt!

Appears yours and another member made the center louver hole behind hoods brace?

Do you have under hood installed pictures to show louver's layout?

One member responded my PM and I appreciated that!

I am committed and ordered a set of unpainted louvers - there is a wait to hold off a set of unpainted in the next production run. Maybe I should ask John direct for the instruction while I am waiting!

Tia!

Old 07-09-2016, 10:43 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The brace is cut during installation per the Trackspec dimensions. Cutting the brace and putting in the louvers did not seem to affect the rigidity of the hood. For reference, the center section sits (approx) 13 inches back from the front of the hood. The side louvers sit (approx) 20 inches back from the front and about 3.5 inches off to the side of the center section. Don't over think it too much. It's not too hard of an install and Trackspec has done all the research / math for you to get it in the best spot for performance.

With a bit of an interstate test drive today I saw 10 - 15 degree water temp drop. Oil temp was about normal. Ambient air today during my drive was about 92 degrees, so I was pleased to see the water temp down in those conditions. I expect the lower water temp to help with lowering the oil temp under track conditions.

victorf (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 02:03 PM
victorf
Drifting

Thank you, very helpful.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking this over I'm very interested to see if this would work with a E force supercharger installed. Currently my supercharger leave a impression in the hood liner as well as the throttle body.
I'm looking for some help in reducing engine and oil temps during my track events.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 AM
veloz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flying24
Looking this over I'm very interested to see if this would work with a E force supercharger installed. Currently my supercharger leave a impression in the hood liner as well as the throttle body.
I'm looking for some help in reducing engine and oil temps during my track events.
dont think it would work..its too deep into the engine..with the eforce we have like 1/2"-3/4" space....thats why i designed and fab'd my own. check my post"another custom hood"..it does work on reducing coolant temps

Last edited by veloz; 07-15-2016 at 08:29 AM.
BigMonkey73 (09-08-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:24 PM
nmalik3000
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Track Speck hood vents work with aftermarket lingenfelter sv3 hood?

Hi guys,
Does anyone know if these vents would work with a
lingenfelter SV3 magnusson supercharger hood (I have a tvs2300 supercharger on my ls3 motor)?
I would love to be able to use these vents with my hood to help cooling of my supercharged motor and additional downforce.
Here is a link to lingenfelter’s website for the hood –
http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L850080105.html
Old 06-06-2017, 05:08 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

I know that the C6Z has some issues with lift at high speed so I understand that the vented hood helps with that along with heat. But I haven't seen much information regarding the narrow body C6 bottom breathers. Does the vent provide the same benefits to heat dissipation and lift?

I live in central Texas and as a lot of people know it gets hot as all get out during most of the year. I am mildly concerned with heat during track events when I do get the chance to get out there. While only marginally concerned with lift (my home track isn't big enough for speed much over 90mph).
Old 06-06-2017, 05:15 PM
veloz
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
I know that the C6Z has some issues with lift at high speed so I understand that the vented hood helps with that along with heat. But I haven't seen much information regarding the narrow body C6 bottom breathers. Does the vent provide the same benefits to heat dissipation and lift?

I live in central Texas and as a lot of people know it gets hot as all get out during most of the year. I am mildly concerned with heat during track events when I do get the chance to get out there. While only marginally concerned with lift (my home track isn't big enough for speed much over 90mph).
I have the orange one with the custom vent and I can tell you, in the middle of summer in SC fans going I can see the heat waves coming out of the vent shooting up like 18" high,,,so that's a good thing...about lift? nvr experienced any of that on hwy or drag strip
Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 PM
c6moneypit
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default lift

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx

My track spec vents start showing heat distortion rising from all 3 vents after a couple minutes of the car being started. My car has an A&A kit and the heat from the headers and radiator is very significant, without those vents the foot well was noticeably warmer on the street since the heat had nowhere to go but get trapped in the engine bay.

My radiator coolant temps on track are consistent now for 20 minute sessions since hot air now flows through the radiator and out the center vent, rather than getting trapped then sucked out the bottom of the car. On track I noticed a 5 deg drop on coolant and oil cools down a lot faster when it gets hot. Before the vents, coolant was a bit more inconsistent and the oil took forever to cool off on cool down laps.

Regarding lift, I heard that closer to 140 or 150 mph it's more of an issue, and even then it is more of a slight "floaty" feel in the front suspension versus feeling more planted with the vents. I haven't noticed the difference in front end feel (only a few tracks I run allow 150 on the straight and even then it's only for a few seconds), but I have noticed it helps keep the coolant consistent.

In traffic in Florida with ac on it seems to help. Still gets hot with ac blasting (coolant 220 - 225F at stoplights when 95+ outside) but the fan blows the air right out the hood instead of it getting trapped. And once I start moving, the coolant temp drops very fast back to 210 or so. Before the hood vents were installed coolant on a similar day would get to 235F and took longer to cool once I got moving.

Hope that info is useful
Old 12-29-2018, 11:00 PM
Mark Leger
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Does anyone know if these vents will clear with an MSD intake installed on my Z06? Also has anyone tried to install the fender vents, if so could you post pictures I'm curious to see if holes are cut in the wheel wells with the fender vents.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:44 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a MSD and ordered the vents on friday so hopefully they’ll be here by the end of next week.

Last edited by ttx350z; 12-30-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Picture tutorial on Installing Trackspec Motorsports C6 vented hood extractor louvers

Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Mark Leger
Racer

Did it fit your car or you still haven't installed it?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:29 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Haven’t shipped yet. They were getting powedercoated on Friday when they sent me an update.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM
Mark Leger
Racer

Any word on fitment with MSD installed?

Quick Reply: Picture tutorial on Installing Trackspec Motorsports C6 vented hood extractor louvers