Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 rear wheel bearing recommendations: Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Default C4 rear wheel bearing recommendations: Thread?

Been using the search function but haven't found a helpful thread yet with recommendations on a decent, robust brand of rear wheel bearing that will hold up to some decent amount of track days. I've got a C4 suspension under my '69, and I just noticed the LR wheel has a bit more play in it than I'm comfortable with. If you can point me to a helpful thread (or offer up some past experience with particular brands) I would be grateful.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Been using the search function but haven't found a helpful thread yet with recommendations on a decent, robust brand of rear wheel bearing that will hold up to some decent amount of track days. I've got a C4 suspension under my '69, and I just noticed the LR wheel has a bit more play in it than I'm comfortable with. If you can point me to a helpful thread (or offer up some past experience with particular brands) I would be grateful.

Thanks!
Really nothing out there for a C4. If you can find SKF, they will be your best bet. On my '96, when I ran Hoosier R6s I would go through at least one front hub in a day and sometimes two depending on track....and not just a little play, a LOT. In the rears I could get 4-5 track days. I switched to Nitto NT01s....still R compound but not as sticky as the R6s....and could get 7-10 days out of the fronts and a similar increase with the rears.

Just not much support for a car that's been out of production for 18 years.

You might call someone like LG or LPE. Never know if they have something laying around.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another alternative is to source good used hubs. I think part of the problem we have with new hubs is putting them on and not having enough low stress mileage to break them in before tracking or autocrossing.

Originally Posted by 69427

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember years ago that 4th gen F body front bearings fit the rear of a C4... I think. Might be worth searching.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Junkie
Another alternative is to source good used hubs. I think part of the problem we have with new hubs is putting them on and not having enough low stress mileage to break them in before tracking or autocrossing.
Interesting perspective. I'll confess I hadn't given that much thought. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Junkie
...I think part of the problem we have with new hubs is putting them on and not having enough low stress mileage to break them in before tracking or autocrossing.
I tried the break-in routine....500 miles of a variety of street driving. No change in life span of the hubs with sticky tires.

They just were never engineered for long duration track duty. With a full-up race car or even the old Corvette Challenge days, all you needed was a day out of them. During most of the C4s life-span, track days and R-compound tires were not nearly as prevalent as today.

For awhile, one of the posters on here had a stock of hubs from Tommy Morrison. Supposedly they were filled with better grease and would last a little longer.

As someone else mentioned, early/mid '90s F-body hubs work as well. You need to drill out the mounting holes or use bolts to mount them. Other than that they're identical....and about half the price.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I tried the break-in routine....500 miles of a variety of street driving. No change in life span of the hubs with sticky tires.

They just were never engineered for long duration track duty. With a full-up race car or even the old Corvette Challenge days, all you needed was a day out of them. During most of the C4s life-span, track days and R-compound tires were not nearly as prevalent as today.

For awhile, one of the posters on here had a stock of hubs from Tommy Morrison. Supposedly they were filled with better grease and would last a little longer.

As someone else mentioned, early/mid '90s F-body hubs work as well. You need to drill out the mounting holes or use bolts to mount them. Other than that they're identical....and about half the price.
ALL C4 hubs are junk. I have just as much life out of the cheap china ones as I did Timken, SKF, National, etc.

Originally Posted by t.renz791
I remember years ago that 4th gen F body front bearings fit the rear of a C4... I think. Might be worth searching.
The Camaro hubs fit the FRONT of a C4. The camaro ones are taped and not a through hole for mounting though. You either drill them out for the stock C4 bolts, or use the slightly smaller Camaro bolts.

P.S. They dont last any longer either, just slightly cheaper.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM
indianavette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
ALL C4 hubs are junk. I have just as much life out of the cheap china ones as I did Timken, SKF, National, etc.

The Camaro hubs fit the FRONT of a C4. The camaro ones are taped and not a through hole for mounting though. You either drill them out for the stock C4 bolts, or use the slightly smaller Camaro bolts.

P.S. They dont last any longer either, just slightly cheaper.
TM would would say once he got his bearings packed with Mobile 1, they were bullet proof. Would get a chuckle out of claims aftermarket stuff was better. If anybody's interested, I've still got a stash of TM's rears but they've been fitted with longer 16mm studs. They're leftovers and spares from his IMSA ZR-1 adventures. Also some 2nd design fronts.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I consider hubs on C4's to be expendable like brake pads. If you run a C4, you gotta pay to play just like anyone else. I buy the Moog ones from Advance for a reason. 3 year warranty. They don't ask questions, so I don't tell.

Have you ever considered using a tire like the Kumho XS? Less sticky but better wear and easier on the hubs.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 rear wheel bearing recommendations: Thread?

Quick Reply: C4 rear wheel bearing recommendations: Thread?