Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

toyo R888 grip

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:13 AM
turk2gk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default toyo R888 grip

How well does the Toyo R888 grip around corners? Are they quite predictable? Also how would they compare to like the hoosier r6 tires?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by turk2gk
How well does the Toyo R888 grip around corners? Are they quite predictable? Also how would they compare to like the hoosier r6 tires?
I haven't used HoosierDaddy tires, so you'll have to take my opinion for what it's worth (perhaps less than you paid for it). My understanding from talking to a lot of R6 owners is that they are tenacious when you first start using them, but they heat cycle out fairly quickly and become ... "fun" ... to use.

The R888s have very consistent grip. They're not going to stick as well as a set of R6s will because they aren't quite as soft. But if heat cycled properly (use Tire Rack!) they'll stay very consistent throughout their life. You'll know exactly what's going to happen in each corner with each tire squeal.

I like. A lot.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

At VIR I can run 2:05-2:09 laps over the life of a Hoosier R6. R888 lap times start at 2:10. I mostly run R888s on the street so I haven't heat cycled out a set to know how fast and far they fall off.

R888s are a much better value, hands down. But they are slower. Addictive grip on the street though!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
The R888s have very consistent grip. They're not going to stick as well as a set of R6s will because they aren't quite as soft. But if heat cycled properly (use Tire Rack!) they'll stay very consistent throughout their life. You'll know exactly what's going to happen in each corner with each tire squeal.

I like. A lot.
Originally Posted by naschmitz
R888s are a much better value, hands down. But they are slower. Addictive grip on the street though!
I've run both and the previous posters are right on target. I get about 3 or 4 days out of the Hoosiers and about 6 or 7 days out of the 888s.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:34 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

IF your sanctioning organization allows it, or if you just track for fun, then scrub slicks from forum vendor GT Racing tires are a VERY cost effective option.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
IF your sanctioning organization allows it, or if you just track for fun, then scrub slicks from forum vendor GT Racing tires are a VERY cost effective option.
I agree.

I am definitely not fast with my quick times only 2:06's at Watkins Glen and 1:18's at Summit Point Main which is a good bit off the pace of drivers who actually go fast so take that into consideration but my experience with 888's was that they are slow, expensive, not great in the wet and don't last very long.

I like scrub slicks from GT Racing Tires for the price and performance.

I like Super Sports to drive to the track, run in varying conditions pretty well, and from my experience last a good bit longer than 888's.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:35 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Love the R888s...I drive to and from the track so they are great...been caught in the rain with them everytime, but just take it slow and they aren't that bad. On the track...they will get a little greasy after a few sessions especially if you're hard on them....have no problems pulling 1.2+ g around a flat turn with them. Great value for someone like me versuses spending $2k+ on Sport Cups every year.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

888's are decent tires all around for street and track. They are quite a bit slower than the R6's but they last about 25 to 30 heat cycles before they tend to get greasy, and they are a lot cheaper than say Michelin Sport Cups.

Also, I found the 888's on my car tended to understeer a bit even with an aggressive alignment so I had put on a wider NT01 up front and it got ride of all the understeer. The front now feels a lot more planted and there is no adverse affect running a mixed set with the NT01's and 888's except the NT01 is slightly cheaper.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:56 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. Ran the 888s at VIR for a full season before they began to not wanting to cooperate, began to loose grip. I am on Hoosiers now, and they are far better, but I can recommend the 888s. Very good alternative if not pushed to the limit each time they are on the track. Taken care of, will last reasonably well.
vz
Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

They have to be different now. Too many positive reviews. Back in the summer of 2010 we went through 3 sets in 3 months from the last week of July to the last week of October. Last event was at NJMP Thunderbolt where they were 6 seconds a lap slower than Michelin scrub slicks. 1:34's compared to 1:28's no chicane with the Michelin. They were 1 second quicker than the runflats.

Compare that to the original set of MPSC's we just took off the Viper ACR that came with the car in 2008. They lasted forever.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:47 PM
0philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R888's are in between a RA-1 and a Hoosier R6.......great dual purpose tire (wet and dry), not to mention you can drive them to the track and drive home.

Our heat cycling (done more correctly than others) coupled with free shipping is the best deal in the country on R888's.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hoosier R6 s are wickedly fast tires with excellent steering response but only for a few heat cycles. My experience is that by the time they are after 15 heat cycles they are no faster and likely slower than 888s.

OTOH, a few years ago, both the NASA American Iron and Spec
Miata series had revolts after being forced onto 888s from Toyo RA-1 tires. In response, Toyo re introduced the RA-1 ( but not in Corvette sizes). Personally I used 888s in the first season that they came out and swore I would never go back. They heat cycled like a Hoosier and had no more grip that I could get than an RA-1. Maybe they have changed the compounds more recently.

Rumour has it that the Nitto NT01 is the same tire as the Toyo RA-1 with a different tread pattern. (Nitto is owned by Toyo). I like the NT01 but it isn't as good in the wet as the RA-1. Toyo does not respond to questions(at least not to me) about the relative compounds in the new RA-1, the 888 and the NT01. It would be really nice to know.

BTW the new Hankook TD might be worth looking at. This year I used the BFG Rival in Time-attack competition. Certainly not as fast as an R comp (occasional 1.20 Gs but not consistently) but fairly easy to drive.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:03 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Hankook Ventus TD is very popular with the BMW crowd, but unfortunately, Hankook doesn't make any rear sizes for a Z06. I have spoken to a few guys that have used them and they have said the Ventus is about 2 to 3 seconds faster than the NT01 but doesn't last as long.

Get notified of new replies

To toyo R888 grip

Quick Reply: toyo R888 grip