Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tudor United SportsCar not returning to Indy in 15

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:53 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Default Tudor United SportsCar not returning to Indy in 15

According to Autoblog, the IMSA/Tudor SportsCar series, will not be coming back to Indy, in 2015.

They cited the difficulty for Indy's personal, in switching over from the road course to the oval configuration, as the reason for cancelling the event. The Tudor series raced on Indy's road course Friday, and then NASCAR Nationwide and Sprint Cup raced on the weekend.

I actually found this a little weird. We were at Indy in June for the SVRA vintage races, and the track was able to switch from oval to road course, during the daily lunch break. Admittedly, there's probably a lot more involved with switching over for 2 pro series, and moving the different teams in and out? The track had a lot of difficulty just getting the 700 vintage racers into the property. It took a whole Tuesday, and it didn't go smoothly.

Autoblog reports that Lime Rock is going to replace Indy, on the schedule, but without the prototypes.

Here's a link to the article at Autoblog.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/13/u...2015-calendar/
Old 08-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

I for one, am very happy to see Lime Rock back on the schedule.

Wonder why no prototypes, since both ALMS and Grand-Am prototypes ran there in previous years.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

2015 TUDOR UNITED SPORTSCAR CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE

Date -- Event -- Classes
Jan 24-25 - Daytona (ALL)*
Mar 21 - Sebring (ALL)*
Apr 18 - Long Beach (P/GTLM)
May 3 - Laguna Seca (P/GTLM and PC/GTD)
May 30 - Detroit Belle Isle (P/GTD)
Jun 28 - Watkins Glen (ALL)*
Jul 12 - Mosport (P/PC/GTLM)
Jul 25 - Lime Rock (PC/GTD)
Aug 9 - Road America (ALL)
Aug 23 - VIR (PC/GTLM/GTD)
Sep 19 - COTA (ALL)
Oct 3 - Road Atlanta (ALL)*

* Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup Event
Now if they can find a way to get Mid-Ohio back on the schedule it will be perfect.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:41 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

It didn't look like Indy was all that well-attended. Did anyone on here go?

I can't say I was enamored of the course, either.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson

Yes, I was there and it was a mess. The car corrals were not manufacturer specific (just a parking spot), the Corvette Racing garage was about half a mile from the pits, etc.

The worst part was the race. The USCC Balance of Power crap made the Corvettes add 55 lbs. of ballast, plus changes to the restrictor plate and aero package. It was more like "Balance of Outcome". Somebody wanted the Viper, BMW and Porsche get to the podium. If I were them, I would be embarrassed.

The Corvette drivers worked their tails off, but 50 cars on the "roval" and very few places to get a pass, they were almost doomed from the start.

I'm glad they aren't going back to Indy.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:34 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Having dealt with IMS on events there I can say they are the most difficult organization to deal with and I've rented a lot of tracks and created a lot of events in my 10+ years at the National Corvette Museum. A few years back I assisted Grand Am with corrals at all of their races and told them Indy would always be an issue.

As to limiting the clases at Lime Rock, past races showed that the short and NARROW track filled with cars made for difficult racing. Extremely limited passing areas with heavy traffic meant that a simple very short pit stop was actually measured in laps lost not time lost.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:10 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
Yes, I was there and it was a mess. The car corrals were not manufacturer specific (just a parking spot), the Corvette Racing garage was about half a mile from the pits, etc.

The worst part was the race. The USCC Balance of Power crap made the Corvettes add 55 lbs. of ballast, plus changes to the restrictor plate and aero package. It was more like "Balance of Outcome". Somebody wanted the Viper, BMW and Porsche get to the podium. If I were them, I would be embarrassed.

The Corvette drivers worked their tails off, but 50 cars on the "roval" and very few places to get a pass, they were almost doomed from the start.

I'm glad they aren't going back to Indy.

Two surprising things about BOP I found out while @ Road America last week:
1. BOP takes pit stop time into consideration. So when the Corvettes have actually been slower on track (WGI vs. Viper for example), they can/do still get a BOP adjustment against them to make up for a better pit crew
2. The drivers know before the race what the outcome will be. I spoke to one of the C7 drivers during the pit walk. He looked like and sounded like he lost his dog, his 401k and the phone number of one of the Turner Girls in a boating accident on Lake Seneca after the win @ the Glen. It was clear he was disgusted that they had no shot that day.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:53 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Now if they can find a way to get Mid-Ohio back on the schedule it will be perfect.
Amen! It's close to us, I've driven the track numerous times and it's a great place to watch a race. My son and I went to several Grand Am races at Mid-O and had a blast.

Me to. I find it the most boring circut on the schedule. Not sure if it's the curcuit or the way they cover it on TV. Other than turn one mahem, it's pretty boring. Glad to see Lime Rock back but Mid-O would have been better.

Get notified of new replies

To Tudor United SportsCar not returning to Indy in 15

Quick Reply: Tudor United SportsCar not returning to Indy in 15