Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran Carbotech XP10 pads and new rotors for the first time. Advice on coloring

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Ran Carbotech XP10 pads and new rotors for the first time. Advice on coloring

I bed them before going to the track like the videos explains. I noticed that I was getting varying shades of blue and purple on the rotors after a couple runs. Anything I should be reading into from this?

Rotors were Centrics and brand new when the pads went on.
fronts

rears

Old 08-17-2014, 09:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

How did they perform?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:39 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look ok. I wouldn't worry about it.

Carbotech isn't the easiest to bed. You can always re-bed them. It doesn't hurt to do it again. You will get a more consistent dark blue.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

That's enough material transfer to head to the track. They'll get darker blue after a session or two.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks guys. I wasn't really worried, just trying to observe what my car is telling me. Brakes performed well, I was pleased with the bite and consistency throughout the run. Wasn't sure if the coloring was a sign I was close to glazing or something, it's my first time running this combo.

I'll take these pads and rotors off and shelf them until next year. Having a baby in 5 weeks so my DE's are done for the year :o)
Old 08-19-2014, 02:46 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Thanks guys. I wasn't really worried, just trying to observe what my car is telling me. Brakes performed well, I was pleased with the bite and consistency throughout the run. Wasn't sure if the coloring was a sign I was close to glazing or something, it's my first time running this combo.

I'll take these pads and rotors off and shelf them until next year. Having a baby in 5 weeks so my DE's are done for the year :o)
No need to swap out the rotors if you use the Carbotech street pad.

Congrat's on becoming a Dad
Old 08-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

For cooling look into the Quantum cooling ducts this will help your heat issue and give you some more pad life. Congrats on the baby

Side note your next set go with pre bed they tend to last longer.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 08-19-2014, 04:49 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

Hi Adam!

That is about what mine looked like on OEM rotors after bedding XP10's. I think next time I'll go with the pre-bedded version, it would have taken some of the concern out regarding a proper burnishing.

It's an interesting exercise, I did mine at 2am on a Sunday to get out of much of the traffic around here. I burned up the better part of an hour doing it (pun intended) and had to get up at 6 to start a 6 hour drive to Idaho.

I also went with the Bobcats so I wouldn't have to swap rotors.

Mike
Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

I think those rotors look about perfect.

Uniform blue tint - no black streaks or smears.

-Ken
Old 08-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
No need to swap out the rotors if you use the Carbotech street pad.

Congrat's on becoming a Dad
This may be a dumb question, but I am new to this
Are XP10's a street pad?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Are XP10's a street pad?
They are a race pad unless you are quite OK w/ noise, dust, lack of cold bite just to start.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
They are a race pad unless you are quite OK w/ noise, dust, lack of cold bite just to start.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Great, thank you!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

All Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other so, you can use the XP10 on track and switch back to our street pad the 1521 compound on the street using the same rotor with no issue vise / versa any way all our compounds are compatible with each other. Next season you may want to look in to getting some 1521 for the street or if you are using the car every day get the 1521 now and put your race pads on the shelf.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Hi Adam!

That is about what mine looked like on OEM rotors after bedding XP10's. I think next time I'll go with the pre-bedded version, it would have taken some of the concern out regarding a proper burnishing.

It's an interesting exercise, I did mine at 2am on a Sunday to get out of much of the traffic around here. I burned up the better part of an hour doing it (pun intended) and had to get up at 6 to start a 6 hour drive to Idaho.

I also went with the Bobcats so I wouldn't have to swap rotors.

Mike
Those rotors look good to me. I just think its easier to go pre bed and we have seen some better wear rates with that option.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Are XP10's a street pad?
I run XP10's on front, and 8's on rear.
No problem, minimal dust, and rarely squeal.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

really?? All my Carbotech XP series pads have squeeled like pigs and dusted like an Arizona wind storm.... I always feel like I sound like a (bad-a_s) school bus driving to the track!... kidding aside, there's no way I could run XP10, XP12 or XP8 on the street... No noise at the track when you're sitting on them, but on the street?? unbearable!...
Old 08-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I run the XP10/XP8 combo on street and track. Yes, they do make a bit of noise and there is certainly dust, but that goes with the territory in my mind. For my needs (dual-purpose use, street tires, no winter driving) this combo works beautifully.

Get notified of new replies

To Ran Carbotech XP10 pads and new rotors for the first time. Advice on coloring

Old 08-23-2014, 05:05 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a dedicated set of wheels/tires for Track days with R888 on them. When I put on my track wheels for a DE day, I just change the pads out. Using ACD Ceramics on the street and they are wonderful... No Dust.. No Noise... and they are absolutely fine for all but the most aggressive street driving, which I try to avoid. To each his own, but I don't feel such aggressive pads are necessary on the street and the Dust made by the CTech pads will ruin wheels, calipers, etc.. ask me how I know? After a two day event this July at WGI, by the time I got home, the finish on one of my powder coated front calipers was trashed. Powder Coated, not painted....

When I drive with the Ceramics on the street, I never have to clean my wheels, listen to any noise and they are fine for all the street driving I do. Obviously we are drive differently (on the street) but I just can't see needing Race Pads on the street.. Just my opinion here.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by franman69
really?? All my Carbotech XP series pads have squeeled like pigs and dusted like an Arizona wind storm.... I always feel like I sound like a (bad-a_s) school bus driving to the track!... kidding aside, there's no way I could run XP10, XP12 or XP8 on the street... No noise at the track when you're sitting on them, but on the street?? unbearable!...
Agreed, After one day at lime rock the dust on the wheels and the side of the car is thick! I'm happy with how they performed, but I wouldn't want to clean this mess with regular street driving.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by franman69
I have a dedicated set of wheels/tires for Track days with R888 on them. When I put on my track wheels for a DE day, I just change the pads out. Using ACD Ceramics on the street and they are wonderful... No Dust.. No Noise... and they are absolutely fine for all but the most aggressive street driving, which I try to avoid. To each his own, but I don't feel such aggressive pads are necessary on the street and the Dust made by the CTech pads will ruin wheels, calipers, etc.. ask me how I know? After a two day event this July at WGI, by the time I got home, the finish on one of my powder coated front calipers was trashed. Powder Coated, not painted....

When I drive with the Ceramics on the street, I never have to clean my wheels, listen to any noise and they are fine for all the street driving I do. Obviously we are drive differently (on the street) but I just can't see needing Race Pads on the street.. Just my opinion here.
Not a bad idea, do you use the same rotors?

Quick Reply: Ran Carbotech XP10 pads and new rotors for the first time. Advice on coloring